Time needed from arrival in Rome (FCO) to Civiticheccia port

We are a family of four (two kids, 11 and 13) arriving in at Rome airport at 11:00 a.m. from an overnight flight from Toronto on April 19/09. Our ship, the Noordam, is set to sail at 5:00 p.m. that day. I would prefer to arrange a private transfer at the rate of 140 euros, total, (maybe less if we can find someone to share a ride with us), than pay the hefty rates that HAL charges per person but if 6 hours isn't a reasonable time frame to make it easily from the airport to the dock then maybe will have to go the "guaranteed" route rather than risk missing the ship! Any thoughts from people that have done this before on their own? We are first time cruisers so any and all help is appreciated!

Assuming your arrival is not significantly delayed, you should have no problem with a private transfer. On most days it should take not more than an hour to deplane, go thru Passport control, and get your luggage. Then plan on 1 to 1.5 hours en route to Civitavecchia. I see that April 19 is a Sunday, so traffic shouldn't be too bad.

We are a family of four (two kids, 11 and 13) arriving in at Rome airport at 11:00 a.m. from an overnight flight from Toronto on April 19/09. Our ship, the Noordam, is set to sail at 5:00 p.m. that day. I would prefer to arrange a private transfer at the rate of 140 euros, total, (maybe less if we can find someone to share a ride with us), than pay the hefty rates that HAL charges per person but if 6 hours isn't a reasonable time frame to make it easily from the airport to the dock then maybe will have to go the "guaranteed" route rather than risk missing the ship! Any thoughts from people that have done this before on their own? We are first time cruisers so any and all help is appreciated!

As immigration and customs are not so complicated in Europe like we European experience in Pearson you can relax.

Subject your flight is on time, you will normally not need more than until noon before you get out immigration and customs.

From Leonardo-da-Vinci-Fiumicino Airport it is easy going to Civitavecchia as it is just next to the highway to Civitavecchia.

It's from here about 60 km to the port. So by 13.00 hrs you should be there. Perfect timing for check-in and getting on board.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks so much to both of you; sounds like we should be okay with the time then, thank goodness:)! I will let the airline know as well that we are travelling to get on a cruise ship and have all the necessary emergency contact numbers for HAL just in case. I think I will go ahead and book with romashuttle later today.....Thanks again!

I will let the airline know as well that we are travelling to get on a cruise ship .....

You should definately do... as your next stop is Dubrovnik after a day on sea...

So have some parasuits with you... for the worst case you can jump from the flight on your ship...

Nice itinerary...

Good luck.

HeinBloed

You should definately do... as your next stop is Dubrovnik after a day on sea...

So have some parasuits with you... for the worst case you can jump from the flight on your ship...

Nice itinerary...

Good luck.

HeinBloed

That made me laugh out loud HeinBloed, thanks for that:)! We chose the cruise for it's itinerary actually, in the hopes that the kids will get an education as well by literally seeing all these places they've only read about before!

Archived