Thrift store finds for my upcoming Alaska cruise

CowPrincess

I truly don't need any new clothes. But could NOT resist today. I bought a pair of "The north Face" convertible water repellant pants (not on sale $8.00), 2 Columbia breathable long-sleeved shirts (on sale 2 x $3), a Mountain Equip Co-op thermal shirt ($4.50) and a silk Eddie Bauer base layer top ($4.50). Total price $23. I love thrift stores. I love saving money.

I wanted to share this info for anyone who is concerned about getting warm-ish clothes for your Alaska cruise -- you CAN find some good deals on re-sale stuff. Takes a bit of time, and a bit of luck, but you don't have to spend 100s and 100s outfitting yourself or your kids in clothes that you'll use only a few times.

This is so funny cause the same thing happened to me today! I picked up 5 outfits at a consignment store for our Alaskan May cruise! Finding those outfits sealed my decision on an Alaskan cruise...now I just need to start learning about them!

Wlecome to the Alaska forum, Mattmax.... this is the place to learn all about AK cruises! And congrats -- don't you just LOVE a bargain? :) All my clothing is "re-sale" -- and you should see the looks I get when someone asks "Oh that's a beautiful xxxxx, where did you get it?" and I tell them :D

Where?

We're in a rinky-dinky little town in Canada in the mountains. So of course we have more-than-usual availability of "outdoor gear", but I know it is available in other places, too..... I hit every thrift store I see, regardless of where I am, even on vacation :)

Same here! Although we live where we already have the hiking gear, layers, fleece and such. But for the rain gear we have been looking at the local thrift stores and just a couple of weeks ago got my DH a GREAT Helly Hansen waterproof jacket, with hood. It was a on-sale so cost a whopping $5. :) We are still looking for me. :)

We're in a rinky-dinky little town in Canada in the mountains. So of course we have more-than-usual availability of "outdoor gear", but I know it is available in other places, too..... I hit every thrift store I see, regardless of where I am, even on vacation :)

CowPrincess, what rinky-dinky town? We are also in a little town in the mountains just south of Canada.

just a couple of weeks ago got my DH a GREAT Helly Hansen waterproof jacket, with hood. It was a on-sale so cost a whopping $5.

And when you are finished with a BIG name brand item like that, you can sell it on ebay :D Keep looking for yourself, don't give up -- I got MY hooded rainproof jacket at the thrift, too. "Whatever it takes" is my philosophy!

I hope this doesn't offend you, Lanaki, but because it is a small town, and because I am quite well-known here, it wouldn't take much for someone (friend OR foe) to put it all together and figure out who I am, so I don't disclose my EXACT location ever on the 'net. I hope you understand :) and will forgive me for not sharing.

I hope this doesn't offend you, Lanaki, but because it is a small town, and because I am quite well-known here, it wouldn't take much for someone (friend OR foe) to put it all together and figure out who I am, so I don't disclose my EXACT location ever on the 'net. I hope you understand :) and will forgive me for not sharing.

Oh no, I totally understand. I usually do the same thing. Especially with certain sites. So you are completely forgiven. :) I just love Canada so much (well, at least B.C. since that is the only province I have yet to visit) and love to hear more about it. :) Almost moved there but ended up in North Idaho instead. Close to Canada so the best of both worlds. :) I actually spend a lot of time in B.C. and have relatives there. (In the Queen Charlotte Islands, which was a real treat to visit.)

As for the rain coat. NO WAY! We are keeping that sucker. If my DH gets tired of it I will be happy to take it from him. Not selling this find. :D Now if I can only get so lucky.

Thanks Lanaki for being understanding :) The Queen Charlottes are on my list of "have to do" places to visit..... DH isn't too wild about the idea, though. I'm VERY envious!

We probably hear about your town from time to time on the Spokane news!

I loved the Queen Charlottes and can not wait to go back. I would love to go out by ferry next time so we can take a vehicle and all of the dogs and stay a few weeks. :) Talk about a relaxing vacation. My DH has yet to see it so at least I have an excuse to go back. Hopefully you will get out there as well.

I am sure you do hear about our little town if you watch those news programs. On a lot tonight in fact. Even I was like "wow, we are in the news quite a bit tonight" to my DH. I even had to call a friend and say "Hey your friend so-and-so was on the news tonight!" LOL! Oh, but not all "bad" things, luckily. Just a lot going on these days with the weather and events lately.

Do ever get to our area?

I, too love bargains. I shop at the resale shops all the time.

Last weekend, my husband and I went to Dillard's (sort of upscale dept store) because they had take 40% off lowest prices. My husband wears extra talls which are difficult to find, and he was able to get really nice shirts with designer names for our Alaska cruise. Most expensive...$2.97. I kid you not. They were all regularly $75++. Can't beat that. He also got a waterproof jacket reg $375 for $25. He's all set now.

I thought I had gotten some great deals as well upstairs, but nothing of mine was $2.97. I think my most expensive was $11.97....oh well, they always stick it to us ladies.

It made my whole day knowing that we got nice stuff for our cruise at such a great deal. We're going to Colorado next weekend for spring break. I'm sure hoping that they have some deals on gloves cause I can't find anything here in the heart of Texas where it was 92 degrees last week.

I did pick up a waterproof Columbia hooded packable jacket at TJ Maxx for $15.

Went to one of our thrift stores again today. They have specials where they will give things away to clear away for new arrivals or for seasonal clothing. Found a beautiful sweater. So did get something, but still no rain gear. I'll keep looking until I find it. :)

maadimom - Lucky deal on that Columbia jacket. Now I am envious. I would love one of those!

Happy shopping everyone!

Lanaki, what are you looking for in a jacket? Size, maker, features?

No we never travel to your area -- the Cdn dollar exchange rate is a killer. did a few trips to Spokane "back in the day", would love to visit Sandpoint for a week sometime. But the Cdn $$$..... sigh .... If we do a road trip we head to Parksville or Qualicum Beach on Vcr Island, and take the dog :D

CowPrincess, I would love any waterproof jacket for the rain in Alaska. I don't think my ski jacket will fit the bill. Would love a good brand, like Helly Hansen, Columbia, REI, etc. A medium. Something with a hood and a couple of pockets. See, I don't ask for much. :D

I have to agree, the exchange rate is definitely in our favor. Sorry about that. But it did help our annual trip to Whistler in January. :)

We try to take our dogs as much as possible as well. They sure have gotten around. Even a couple of trips to Vegas. :rolleyes: My DH calls it "Puppies on vacation!"

WE are first time cruisers, and are determined to enjoy forrmal nights, but DH was not prepared to wear a tuxedo. I am a Valu Village shopper, here in northern Ontario...translation "Thrift shopping ". Picked up a tuxedo, 2 shirts, suspenders, for a total of $65.00. This added to some costume jewellery, a leather travel wallet for an additional $12.00. I am still on the hunt for some other articles, but I must say that the tuxedo find was the big find!!

Last year during our flight to Anchorage a young couple said that they like to go to the thrift store in Anchorage. They said they get lots of good things that people have donated after traveling in Alaska because they won't need them when they return home. Plus they don't have to take up space in their luggage.

Lanaki, I just looked at my "extra" jacket and it is a "Small" -- sorry -- thought I might be able to help. However, I will keep my eyes open here. And add to your list "Sierra Designs" -- a Canadian company that has GREAT durability, and "Valhalla Pure". Both are "unknown" but really REALLY good quality and performance.

Lanaki, I just looked at my "extra" jacket and it is a "Small" -- sorry -- thought I might be able to help. However, I will keep my eyes open here. And add to your list "Sierra Designs" -- a Canadian company that has GREAT durability, and "Valhalla Pure". Both are "unknown" but really REALLY good quality and performance.

Thanks CowPrincess! That is so sweet of you. I appreciate you checking. I am sure I will find something by the time we cruise though. Right??? LOL!

Oh, yes, definitely a Sierra Design as well. I know them. I have not heard of Valhalla Pure though. Not that I can remember. So I will keep my eyes open for them as well.

Thanks again! And feel free to email me privately any time at Randi1982@msn dot com.

Last year during our flight to Anchorage a young couple said that they like to go to the thrift store in Anchorage. They said they get lots of good things that people have donated after traveling in Alaska because they won't need them when they return home. Plus they don't have to take up space in their luggage.

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing. Now, if we can just find time after our flight arrives and before we leave for Denali. Hmmm..... ;) We will have to post a question for AKSusan about where the thrift shop is in Anchorage. Or did go and want to share? :)

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived