Walker Friendly Alaska Excursions

Lsb58

I am traveling with someone who needs to use a walker for any significant amount of walking. Regent has a few designated excursions that are wheelchair accessible, but I was wondering if anyone can advise me on the Tracy Arm excursion, and the Scenic Rail and Yukon Suspension Bridge. Specifically I would like to know how easy it is to board the Tracy Arm excursion boat, and if we stay on the boat the entire time. For the Scenic Rail do you need to actually cross the suspension bridge to continue the excursion, or can you just stay on the coach? It's hard to know whether she should confine herself to the wheelchair accessible excursions, or which of the others might be able to accommodate a collapsible walker. Tried to call Regent but got tired of being on hold :mad:. I figured there were plenty of experienced cruisers here that could answer my questions.

I can help you out on the Tracy Arm excursion. The other, I don't know anything about.

As I recall, the boat for the Tracy Arm excursion is very easy to get on. I don't use a walker, so I could have missed something. But I think you just walk right on.

You stay on the boat the whole time. There are plenty of seating areas inside. We went outside a couple of times to see things up close, but I think it would be enjoyable even if you stayed seated inside. It is my favorite excursion anywhere--and I have been a lot of places.

Thank you Rachel. I was hoping the Tracy Arm Excursion wouldn't be a problem. It comes highly recommended and looked like something someone with limited mobility could do. Perhaps the boat would have trouble accommodating someone who is wheelchair bound and that's why they don't include the wheelchair symbol. As far as the rail trip, hopefully someone who has done it can advise me about any difficulties my fellow traveler might have.

Tracey Arm.

My memory is a little hazy about getting on the catamaran. I am ashamed nowadays to say that I did not notice the facilities for those with limited mobility. However once on board, I do recall that we boarded on the upper deck and had to go down a few steepish and narrow stairs to get to the covered seating area, Plenty of people stayed up top but they needed to be well wrapped up against the cold. The food and drink were in the covered area as were the toilets. You are on the cat for around 5 to 6 hours. I am trying to be factual here because I am facing similar problems in future.

Scenic Railway.

We did the scenic rail trip only and it involved boading the train directly opposite the mooring berth of Mariner. Regent had reserved coaches and for that trip we ascended to the end of the line before descending "backwards" to where we started. Beautiful scenery, good commentary but some were bored and I did see some who fell asleep on the way down!. We did see some brown bears by the side of the railtrack though.

Archived