New to Carnival, which are the newer ships?

kg66

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the Carnival Boards, as we've only sailed NCL and DCL. Next year I'd like to try Carnival, mainly for comparison, but I am very open minded. Just wondering if someone could please tell me which are the newer and bigger ships of Carnival. We are a family of 4 my 2 DD's being 12 &9. We're interesed, or should I say I am interested (hubby doesn't know I'm shopping around for next year all ready, we just got home Monday from our NCL cruise...shhhh;)) in March 2010. We just did Roatan, Belize and Cozumel, so the Dream is out for this time!

Thanks

Carnival Cruise Lines is the largest and most successful cruise line in the world, carrying more passengers than any other.

But “Today’s Carnival” is a vastly different company than the one started from humble beginnings nearly four decades ago. Carnival was launched with a converted trans-Atlantic ocean liner and a dream of entrepreneur Ted Arison, a pioneer in the modern-day cruise industry who set out to realize his vision of making a vacation experience once reserved for the very rich accessible to the average person.

The rest, as they say, is history.

THROUGH THE YEARS . . .

1972 – Maiden voyage of Carnival’s first ship, the TSS Mardi Gras, which runs aground on sandbar outside the Port of Miami

1975 – Carnival purchases Empress of Britain, enters service as the TSS Carnivale

1978 – The Festivale, formerly the S.A. Vaal, undergoes $30 million refurbishment, begins service for Carnival as the largest and fastest vessel sailing from Miami to the Caribbean (the ship has since been retired from the fleet)

1982 – Debut of the Tropicale, the first new cruise ship the cruise industry has seen in many years; ship marks the beginning of an industry-wide multi-billion-dollar shipbuilding boom (the ship has since been retired from the fleet)

1984 – Carnival becomes first cruise line to advertise on network television with the premiere of new advertising campaign starring company spokesperson Kathie Lee Gifford (then Johnson)

1985 – Debut of 46,052-ton Holiday

1986 – Launch of 47,262-ton Jubilee (the ship has since been retired from the fleet)

1987 – The 47,262-ton Celebration enters service (ship to leave fleet in April 2008)

Carnival earns distinction as “Most Popular Cruise Line in the World,” carrying more passengers than any other

Carnival Cruise Lines undertakes its initial public offering on Wall Street, raising approximately $400 million to fuel future expansion; entity later becomes Carnival Corporation & plc, a multi-line worldwide cruise conglomerate

1990 – The 70,367-ton Carnival Fantasy – the first and namesake vessel in the highly successful “Fantasy-class” -- enters service as first new ship ever placed on three- and four-day Bahamas cruise program from Miami. Eventually, Carnival would construct eight “Fantasy-class” vessels, the most cruise ships in a single class.

1991 – Launch of 70,367-ton Carnival Ecstasy

1993 – Carnival introduces its third 70,367-ton SuperLiner, Carnival Sensation

1994 – Debut of 70,367-ton Carnival Fascination

Carnival’s parent company renamed Carnival Corporation to distinguish between it and its flagship brand, Carnival Cruise Lines. Company is later renamed Carnival Corporation & plc following the combination with P&O Princess Cruises, creating the world’s largest cruise vacation group by far.

1995 – 70,367-ton Carnival Imagination enters service

1996 – Carnival’s launches sixth “Fantasy-class” vessel, the SuperLiner Carnival Inspiration

Carnival debuts the first passenger vessel to exceed 100,000 tons, the 101,353-ton Carnival Destiny, at the time the world’s largest cruise ship

1998 – Carnival Cruise Lines introduces seventh “Fantasy-class” vessel, the Carnival Elation, the first new cruise ship deployed on the West Coast

The eighth and last in the “Fantasy-class” series, the Carnival Paradise, enters service

1999 – Debut of the 102,000-ton Carnival Triumph, Carnival’s second “Destiny-class” vessel

2000 – A third “Destiny-class” vessel, the 102,000-ton Carnival Victory, is launched.

2001 – Carnival introduces a new class of vessel with the launch of the 88,500-ton Carnival Spirit, the first new “Fun Ship” ever positioned in the Alaska and Hawaii markets

2002 – A second “Spirit-class” vessel, the Carnival Pride, is launched

Carnival’s third “Spirit-class” ship, Carnival Legend, enters service

Debut of the 110,000-ton Carnival Conquest, at the time the largest “Fun Ship” ever constructed.

2003- Second 110,000-ton “Conquest-class” ship, the Carnival Glory, begins year-round seven-day cruises from Port Canaveral, Fla., July 19.

2004 – Carnival Miracle, the fourth in Carnival’s “Spirit-class,” begins a series of 12 voyages from Jacksonville, Fla. – the first “Fun Ship” sailings from that port – Feb. 27, 2004.

A third 110,000-ton “Conquest-class” ship, the Carnival Valor, begins year-round seven-day service from Miami Dec. 19, 2004, becoming the largest "Fun Ship" ever based at that port.

2005 – A fourth 110,000-ton “Conquest-class” vessel, Carnival Liberty, debuts July 20, 2005, operating Carnival's first-ever Mediterranean cruises.

2007 - Carnival Freedom, the line's fifth 110,000-ton vessel, debuts in Europe, operating by 12-day voyages to the Mediterranean, Greek Isles, and Turkey.

2008 - The 113,300-ton Carnival Splendor debuted in July 13, 2008, operating Carnival's first Northern Europe cruise program. The ship launches year-round seven-day Mexican Riviera cruises in March 2009.

2009 - Carnival Dream, a 130,000-ton vessel to be the largest "Fun Ship" ever constructed - is scheduled to enter service Sept. 21, 2009, beginning a new class of vessel for the line.

2011 - A second 130,000-ton SuperLiner, Carnival Magic, is slated to debut in June 2011.

The Dream also does a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise.

Day Port of Call

Saturday Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL

Sunday Nassau, Bahamas

Monday Fun Day At Sea

Tuesday St. Thomas, USVI

Wednesday St. Maarten, NA

Thursday Fun Day At Sea

Friday Fun Day At Sea

Saturday Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL

WOW, thanks everyone for the speedy info! I forgot, in my younger days, I sailed Carnival on Festivale, that would have been 1988.

This is the info I was looking for!

Cheers!

WOW, thanks everyone for the speedy info! I forgot, in my younger days, I sailed Carnival on Festivale, that would have been 1988.

This is the info I was looking for!

Cheers!

The Dream and the refurbished Fantasy class ships (Fantasy, Inspiration, and Imagination) all have the Waterworks area that your girls would probably enjoy. (waterslides and fountains).

The Dream and the refurbished Fantasy class ships (Fantasy, Inspiration, and Imagination) all have the Waterworks area that your girls would probably enjoy. (waterslides and fountains).

I know they are refurbished, and my concern with the older ships would be, are the stabilizers that I'm sure they've upgraded as good as the ones they put on the new ones? Have you cruised these recently. The waterworks area would be great for my girls, and they love the idea of the big screens at the pool area. Do you know which ships have these, or do they all?

Thanks

I know they are refurbished, and my concern with the older ships would be, are the stabilizers that I'm sure they've upgraded as good as the ones they put on the new ones? Have you cruised these recently. The waterworks area would be great for my girls, and they love the idea of the big screens at the pool area. Do you know which ships have these, or do they all?

Thanks

I think a lot is what weather you run into. I was on the larger, newer Voyager of the Sea last year and we hit a wierd sideways motion for a while and I had one gal I meet at breakfast tell me that she never gets seasick on Carnival, therefore, it must be RCL cant design their ships right and she was never going on RCL again .... the motion didnt bother us any, but it bothered some folks and it wasnt even high waves. The newer ships might have a few years newer stablizers, but they are also longer ships with more chance the ends of the ship will rock more.

Iv been on Ecstasy twice, one in 25 ft waves, yep we had to wear our patches, but ok the other time smooth enough except for about 2 hours leaving cozumel, but smooth except for that. Its not that old of a ship to worry to me.

Archived