Spirit: Mexican Riviera 2/24-3/4

kyrisong1

We cruised the Mexican Riviera for the first time, we have done numerous cruises on the Carrib, but our first West Coaster, unfortunately probably our last :(

First our Pre Cruise, we got a awesome deal on Loews Coronado, that I grabbed for 120.00 a night, we couldn't stay at many hotels in San Diego for that price let alone Coronado, we found the hotel just ok (probably why I could get such a great price) Coronado was beautiful but we would not stay there again, it was really cold and we prefer the heat of Florida at this time of year (we cruise to get OUT of the cold)

We did the Trolley City Tour and would suggest this to anyone, you can get on and off at different areas around the city, balboa park, the zoo, old town it was informative and fun, we really loved this one

Embarkation: Once again we found ourselves comparing to the ports we've sailed out of in Florida, Ft Laud, Port Canaveral, Tampa, Miami. We hated San Diego, they held you in a big, COLD warehouse area till 1200 ish (we always get to the port by 1030, and I suggest if you do this, DON"T do it in San Diego, the holding area is not pleasant. Then they move you to ANOTHER holding area for about 30 minutes, this is inside and better but very, very small.

There is no real organization to it and people just decide to make lines where they want and just push and shove, it was really annoying.

Although talking to the people working at this port, I guess good things are coming, they are going to build a really nice port, so in the future it might be a state of the art, but for now, not so much.

Ok so finally on the ship about 1245, heading for our cabin to dump our carry ons in the closet and then to the Lido for our first DOD!!!!

I'll comment first on the ship. The Spirit is beautiful, and for those that don't like the "glitzy" decor of the other ships, this one is for you. It's nicely done without being loud or obnoxious, no grape chandlers, or pink zebra stripes to be found. A pretty ship with mostly awesome crew.

We had our first 9A stateroom and boy did we love it. Closet space galore!!! Nice long balcony and just roomy.

Our room was 7299 (no aft wrap darn it, but we upgraded to it for only 60 bucks each from a 8G so we were very pleased) Someone had mentioned a concern about excess noise because it was by the elevators, there was not any increase in noise except right before dinner times we occasionally heard people talking or laughing while waiting for the elevator, it did not detract at all from our enjoyment of the room.

Ok, the dining room, we only went 3 times on this cruise and chose to go to the Supper club twice, the other 3 nights we just grabbed sandwiches from Lido area. I'm a huge cheerleader of Carnival food, BUT this time the food wasn't so great, it wasn't bad by any stretch, but it just wasn't as great as I have had in the past. Our waiter was very slow and not so thrilled with his job, his assistant was young and cute and they seemed to have a personality conflict, so we didn't see her much, although she was fine when she was around. I think he really bullied her and so she made scarce. Tables around us would get their main course before we were even getting to order our meal, so we didn't get out of their till really late.

The Supper Club was EXACT opposite. The food was outstanding, the service was excellent and way over the top!! Kudos to the Spirit staff in the supper club, it was the best we've had on ANY ship (this includes the supper club on X) The food was done to perfection and one of the chefs was out on the floor talking to people and passing out extra goodies.

We commented on how good a champaign sorbet was (it was a little taster size) and omg here they come with normal size dishes of it, and let me tell you, if they mass market that stuff, people WILL buy!!!

Buffet was worse than I remember ever, although there is plenty of other areas you can get food so it didn't detract from my enjoyment, I'm not a buffet person and never will be, so I'm not the best judge of this.

The Asian food counter always had good food, the pasta was good and the salad bar was great UNTIL, lol I got in front of an elderly man, he was so sweet and smiled so nice, I love older folks and could never say anything mean to them, but omg, he served himself and knocked food off with his fingers and then licked them, and then went to the next thing. UGH that was it for my salad days on the ship.

The cheeseburgers were not as good as the other ships so we did this only once. And the omelets that we usually adore were really greasy, so we did end up at the dining room allot for breakfast, the food was good and served quickly and the pineapple juice was perfect!!!

The first two days it was too cold to hang out on the balcony (which is one of my favorite things to do on sea days, read on the balcony)

First port was Acapulco: Hated it!!! Too big, too dirty and not very friendly. 1.2 million people!!!! We took a city tour through the cruise line and the bus smelled like azz, sorry but it DID!! I ran into a few ladies that did this one too (there were several buses) and she said they actually went to the excursion desk and got half their money back. We basically drove around while a weird guy pointed out where famous people lived or stayed when they were there <rolls eyes> I wanted HISTORY, I wanted the story of the city, it's origins, it's heartbeat!! We got a freaking Hollywood rip off tour. Ok, we did see the cliff divers which was really cool except they push people in like cattle and if you're on one of the later buses and you are under 6 ft, you don't see all that much, however we did enjoy what we were able to see.

I am so sorry I didn't listen to the port of call boards and go with a Rosie tour, but I felt since I was unfamiliar with this part of Mexico I'd feel better on a Carnival tour. I did NOT go to the excursion desk to complain or ask for refund, but I did fill out the survey and turned it in on the ship, so hopefully they will make some changes to that tour, so others won't feel like we did about this port.

Ixtapa: we did a Country Customs tour and really enjoyed this port!!!

We got to see a coconut plantation, and the women were baking bread in huge adobe ovens, it was just amazing and delicious!!!!

We visited another area that made clay adobe bricks and roofing tiles by hand, it was so cool to see how they did these things and informative of the history and customs in this area of the country. The beaches looked nice but we did not visit them.

Next stop Manzanilla (hope I spelled that right) We did a Colonial Tour and also very much enjoyed this, however the bus ride to get anywhere was very, very long, so it was a 7 hour tour, and lots of opportunity for napping!! Lol, we saw the beginnings of what will be a large ruin area, for now it's just a small area, but there are acres that are yet uncovered, we saw state buildings, churches , got a great narrative on the history of the area which was also chronicled in murals on the state buildings walls, it was beautiful!!! Then we went to a small community in between the volcano's, the town was Comala, and it was enchanting. The brick block streets, the buildings, and the people were altogether different from anything we've experienced, we were very happy with this stop.

The last two sea days were fine, except the last day once again too cool to sit on balcony:(

We are happy we did this cruise and loved the ship and most of the ports, however we will stick with the Caribbean, it's just more our "cup of tea".

I'm going to end by saying that we did notice allot different attitude in the west coast cruisers than we have seen with east coast. The attitudes were more "it's all about me" , lots of pushing and line breaking or generally not listening as far as when instructed to line up here or there, it was basically a cluster.......... well you know. I'm not sure if this is a regional thing, because most all of the Californians I met were extremely nice folks, or if was just the luck of the draw with the crowd, but I'm examining my next options for the other coast.

We stayed one night post cruise at the Holiday Inn at the bay, it was a really nice hotel and we did enjoy it, the shuttle picked us up from the ship and also shuttled us to the airport, the Maritime Museum was accross the street and so was an AWESOME restaurant called Anthonys. We had plenty to keep us busy the last day and didn't have to rush to get off and get to the airport!!!

Cheers, Carole

That is really unfortunate that you had a bad time. I, on the other hand, have only done west coast cruises and love them. We were on the Spirit January 23-31 and it was our best cruise ever. Our dining room waiter and assistant waiter were awesome, and all other staff was amazing.

I'm going to end by saying that we did notice allot different attitude in the west coast cruisers than we have seen with east coast. The attitudes were more "it's all about me" , lots of pushing and line breaking or generally not listening as far as when instructed to line up here or there, it was basically a cluster.......... well you know. I'm not sure if this is a regional thing, because most all of the Californians I met were extremely nice folks, or if was just the luck of the draw with the crowd, but I'm examining my next options for the other coast.

Sorry you didn't have a good time on the Spirit, we'll be on her at the end of the month with 26 friends and am sure we will have a good time, but we are also used to the west coast cruises since we live in CA. Also, I think your problems with some of the passengers was just luck of the draw. From our own cruising experience and from talking with crew who have moved from east coast ships to west coast ships, they say the west coast passengers are so much nicer, friendlier, easier to get along with, and seem to be having a better time and not as picky (there are exceptions to everything of course). Hopefully your next east coast cruise will be OK.

Wow....it is a bummer that you did not enjoy the trip. We were on the Spirit the week before you and had a great time. True - it was not the Carribean, but then we did not expect it to be.

I agree that it was pretty chilly the first and last sea days. We had an aft wrap and really missed sitting out there and enjoying the weather as the Spirit returned to San Diego.

It was a great trip - we really enjoyed the ship (and our CC friends ;)). But I think we will stick with the Carribean for a while.

Carole,

Thanks for your review!

We had the same review of the weather heading out on our Mex. Riv. cruise. Way too cool on the way to the Riv. and we left from Long Beach.

Happy to hear there were some highlights.

We will also stick almost solely to the Caribbean.

OK, so you arrive at 10:30am. The debarkation usually takes until then. Your cruise booklet advises much later for that reason. The pier was cold... in February...what a surprise! Would you prefer a trip on the "Carnival Elation" in August? Did you not recieve a "Zone number" whe you arrived? Were not zone numbers called in sequence? Where exactly did you see "people just decide to make lines where they want and just push and shove, it was really annoying." I was there too. Much of what you say, was either brought on by yourselves, or aggrandized for CC. Shoreside staff take great pride in their work. On a normal day 2300 happy guests debark, and 2300 eager guests board. It is a rare day when 2000 guests are not onboard by 2:30pm. Why not, next time arrive a little later....maybe 3pm and avoid the pushing, shoving, and waiting.

David

I sailed out of San Diego this past January and loved it! I've sailed out of Long Beach/L.A. and Miami as well, but San Diego is by far the best. We were checked in so quickly (and early) and boarded the ship without any problems. I found everyone who worked there very friendly and helpful. I chose my next cruise, in part, so I can sail from San Diego. I really can't say enough good things about that port.

Thanks Kyrsong1 for the comprehensive review. We too will be in a 9A non-wrap. Would you be able to post photos of your cabin? We sure would appreciate it. We too have only cruised only out of the east coast ports, and looking forward to a new experience.

Jes, it might take awhile to get all our pics downloaded, but I will create another thread later and post the 9a nonwrap pics, you will LOVE the cabin, it was very nice. The time of year also may make a huge difference on the itenerary, Feb it was too cold for me, I left Nebraska in 10 degree weather and was ready for WARM, now I know, perhaps I might greatly enjoy this cruise in Sept or Oct. I'm just one that likes that balcony and wants to make maxium use of it!!!!

For those who thought I didn't enjoy my cruise, thanks for the sympathy, but we always enjoy our cruises. My comments were from my point of view, and yes we had some areas that I did not like, however a cruise is a cruise and we did have a good time. The comparison to the carrib which is what I'm used to and we took this cruise to try something different, and we did.

We simply are used to the carrib and love it dearly, we are absolutely happy we tried the Mex Riv. and if people can't handle that I didn't like it as well as Carrib, ss for you, but it IS my point of view.

I stated clearly I loved the ship, loved my room, I didn't mention that I loved my cabin steward but he also was awesome , loved the supper club and loved the staff for the most part, didn't like my waiter, oh well. I was in the upper dining room, when usually I'm in the lower, maybe the difference in staff from these areas, not sure.

David, I had nothing to compare it to except my Carrib cruises, sorry I got your back up cause I didn't like the port, and we would get to the port later if we ever sailed out of SD again, however on the Florida ports we've been to, 1030 is an excellent time to get to port.

The pushing and shoving was most evident on embarkation, people (like us) were put on folding chairs at the front and the seats quickly filled behind us till the room was full, they THEN put us in the other holding area with zones, they asked the people to make two lines in the order as seated, but when they opened for the other area, people in the back just surged forward, there was no order and LOTS of pushing!!!

Once we got to the zone area it was much better.

On board, I didn't create the pushing and shoving, so whatever.

People would not wait for folks to get out of elevators before they would try to push their way in, and there was alot of folks that acted like the food would run out and a few times noticed women that would just wander right into a line and snag what they wanted, as if the line were not meant for them.

This was a vast difference from our times on the other ships. And yes it probably was the luck of the draw. We learned to go to the buffet area later, like 1ish, which is a vast improvement over the congestion of noonish.

Anyway I'm sure there are people that prefer west over east coast and that is terrific, the world would be so boring if we were all the same.

I did this review simply to give info, and I won't get into word wars with those that don't like what I had to say. Either agree or disagree and then move on :rolleyes:

Carole

Jes, it might take awhile to get all our pics downloaded, but I will create another thread later and post the 9a nonwrap pics, you will LOVE the cabin, it was very nice. The time of year also may make a huge difference on the itenerary, Feb it was too cold for me, I left Nebraska in 10 degree weather and was ready for WARM, now I know, perhaps I might greatly enjoy this cruise in Sept or Oct. I'm just one that likes that balcony and wants to make maxium use of it!!!!

For those who thought I didn't enjoy my cruise, thanks for the sympathy, but we always enjoy our cruises. My comments were from my point of view, and yes we had some areas that I did not like, however a cruise is a cruise and we did have a good time. The comparison to the carrib which is what I'm used to and we took this cruise to try something different, and we did.

We simply are used to the carrib and love it dearly, we are absolutely happy we tried the Mex Riv. and if people can't handle that I didn't like it as well as Carrib, ss for you, but it IS my point of view.

I stated clearly I loved the ship, loved my room, I didn't mention that I loved my cabin steward but he also was awesome , loved the supper club and loved the staff for the most part, didn't like my waiter, oh well. I was in the upper dining room, when usually I'm in the lower, maybe the difference in staff from these areas, not sure.

David, I had nothing to compare it to except my Carrib cruises, sorry I got your back up cause I didn't like the port, and we would get to the port later if we ever sailed out of SD again, however on the Florida ports we've been to, 1030 is an excellent time to get to port.

The pushing and shoving was most evident on embarkation, people (like us) were put on folding chairs at the front and the seats quickly filled behind us till the room was full, they THEN put us in the other holding area with zones, they asked the people to make two lines in the order as seated, but when they opened for the other area, people in the back just surged forward, there was no order and LOTS of pushing!!!

Once we got to the zone area it was much better.

On board, I didn't create the pushing and shoving, so whatever.

People would not wait for folks to get out of elevators before they would try to push their way in, and there was alot of folks that acted like the food would run out and a few times noticed women that would just wander right into a line and snag what they wanted, as if the line were not meant for them.

This was a vast difference from our times on the other ships. And yes it probably was the luck of the draw. We learned to go to the buffet area later, like 1ish, which is a vast improvement over the congestion of noonish.

Anyway I'm sure there are people that prefer west over east coast and that is terrific, the world would be so boring if we were all the same.

I did this review simply to give info, and I won't get into word wars with those that don't like what I had to say. Either agree or disagree and then move on :rolleyes:

Carole

Carole, I totally got it. I thought your review was very helpful, especially when others have not sailed from the West Coast. We will be going in December of 2009, so your reviewed has prepared me NOT to expect the tropics on the first few days. Looking forward to your photos.

Archived