What's a 12 y.o. to do after 11pm?

lisid

I'm reading that around 11 things tend to get a little "adult" & the teen club can hang until later than the tween club...will there be anything for us to do with our 12 y.o. until our teen (16) is done his "partying".?????

I'm reading that around 11 things tend to get a little "adult" & the teen club can hang until later than the tween club...will there be anything for us to do with our 12 y.o. until our teen (16) is done his "partying".?????

You are kidding, right?

They should be sleeping. Watching movies in their cabins should be enough for children, staying up late.

That would be where my 12 (and 13, 14, 15 and 16 and quite possibly 17 year old would be), because that is where her parents would be.....!!!;) :)

Am I over protective......???

Lisid, There are limited things that a 12 year old will be allowed to do after 11 pm. All of the bars and nightclubs are restricted at that time to those of legal age.

I would suggest that the family sit out by the pool and enjoy the evening. There may be a pool party going on that no one would chase your 12 year old away from if he/she were with you. If not, just enjoy the beautiful evening.

As others have suggested, they could watch a movie in the cabin or maybe play a video game if they bring one with them? And if you trust them not to leave the cabin, you and hubby could go out for a short drink together in one of the bars and some "just you" time. As long as you lock the cabin door behind you with strict instructions for the preteen not to leave the room AND you trust them to obey, that wouldn't be a problem. That's my opinon of course, but I know that some will disagree.

CG

My daughter (three months shy of 11 on our last cruise) usually heads back to the cabin at 10:30, orders room service, and reads or watches a movie until she goes to sleep. Sometimes one or both of us will head over to the Blue Lagoon with her for a snack, though, so that's an idea. There just aren't any activities planned for kids after that, and I'm sure it's because most of them are in bed.

The 3 of you can walk on the deck or hang out on deck together if there's a pool party going on; the 3 of you can hang out in the cabin and wait for your eldest to come "home".

Go up to the Blue Lagoon and grab a late night snack while you wait for your teen to hit his curfew time; he can then meet you there and all 4 can head back to your cabin.

We were just off the Dawn (just posted review today). The "kids club" stayed open from 9 AM until the following 1:30 AM. We didn't have our son with us, but we met a few people with kids in the 9 - 13 year old age group that used the kids club and absolutely loved it.

Sign them up for the kids club--at least you'll know they're supervised while you are enjoyed some adult time.

I agree with most of the other posters here...she should be in the cabin, reading a book, watching a movie, etc. Hanging out up by the pool as a family is a nice idea too.

I guess the reason most activity are for adults at night, is because that is who should still be out at the time.....adults, doncha think?

Maybe the Capt will let him steer the ship.

Or, if the clubs are busy, he could be employed as an assistant cocktail waiter, working for tips.

Maybe he can play in one of the bands?

Seriously, a 12 year old after 11pm should be with his family or in the cabin.

I can't believe all of the "should be in bed" responses. Are you kidding??? Seriously, you are kidding, right?

Glad you weren't my parents growing up!! For pete's sake the "kid" is on vacation and I highly doubt any 12 year old goes to bed at 11:00 when on vacation/summer, which by the way, if there is a time difference for the "kid" that would be like sending them to bed at 8:00pm. NOT!!

OP: Sometimes movies play in the theater late or you could all hang out in the hot tub together under the stars or grab a late night snack and head out on deck and play cards. The kids program is another option if you ware wanting some adult time but want some supervision for your young adult.

Have a fun cruise!

Maybe I'm alone on this one, but, if it was MY 12 y/o (boy or girl) they would be in the cabin or with me. Maybe I'm old fashion or somthing, but I DO NOT think a 12 y/o ought to be out and about at 11pm or later. unless with a parent, vacation or not. and as far as a 16y/o "partying" they would be under a close watch from 11pm on also. maybe this is over protection to some, but at that age, and that time of nite, they need not be left on there own IMHO. I think this is just GOOD parenting. And no I'm NOT saying anything about anyone elses parenting. I know your on a cruise ship and it's relitively safe. but that's not the question in my eyes.

agree or not THIS IS MY OPINION

I can't believe all of the "should be in bed" responses. Are you kidding??? Seriously, you are kidding, right?

Glad you weren't my parents growing up!! For pete's sake the "kid" is on vacation and I highly doubt any 12 year old goes to bed at 11:00 when on vacation/summer, which by the way, if there is a time difference for the "kid" that would be like sending them to bed at 8:00pm. NOT!!

OP: Sometimes movies play in the theater late or you could all hang out in the hot tub together under the stars or grab a late night snack and head out on deck and play cards. The kids program is another option if you ware wanting some adult time but want some supervision for your young adult.

Have a fun cruise!

You may not want to hear this but a ship is NOT as safe as we like to think it is, especially after hours for a child. There's not much to do but roam the halls and the public spaces (like the atrium) because they cannot go into the bars. The pools may or may not be open, but the hot tubs usually have adults enjoying the kid-free time in them.

No, on a ship I believe that after 11 a kid should be supervised or in the cabin. There are movies, games, maybe even visiting friends.

We have been on too many ships were gangs of kids were wandering late and night and getting into mischief. It happened most memorably on a Xmas cruise on the Dawn out of NY (We got an obscene call at 3am from one gang) and on the Jade last August from Southampton with 800 British kids where too few seemed to be minded. Both times they were out of control.

I agree - to the cabin and enjoy the movies and room service for an 11 yr. old, or the parent(s) enjoying quality time with their children, I remember a few cruises go, there was such commotion with kids running up and down the deck making noise, way after 12 am, it is just so inconsiderate.

NO I AM NOT KIDDING

not even a little bit. if the age was 17 and up, maybe it's ok, but at 12 ???? are you kidding?

Have a fun cruise!

You are joking are you not? let the kids be kids and go to bed in their cabin at a reasonable hour based on what is reasonable for your family... Ask yourself... When we pull into port early the next morning are the kids going to be up and excited to go ashore and enjoy what exciting adventures that this country has to offer... or are they going to be tired and still wanting to sleep at 11 a.m. .... and by the time you go ashore about one half of your allotted time to visit will be gone...:confused:

Did you take this cruise to stay up all night partying... then if you did ... do so... sleep till noon and hang around the pool of the ship while robbing your children of a great experience by going ashore and doing all that you can do in wherever...... now on some cruises that would be 4 ports of call...:)

Another voice in the "are you joking??" A 12 year old is a KID. Who should at the very least be in the cabin by 10 p.m. Or at the least, with his parents for a late-night snack. But NOT roaming the ship, or playing anywhere, or otherwise not under adult supervision. Good grief.

Well my opinion wont be popular......keep the kids HOME. For once it would be great to be on a cruise without kids. Most, not all parents......dont pay attention to what their kids are actually doing. They let their kids in the hot tubs when they arent supposed to.....running around the top deck......pushing in the elevators.....and just in areas where they dont belong. I have been on 8 cruises...and different lines....its the same on all of them. Parents neglect to pay attention to what their kids are doing cause they are on vacation. I would hate to see how the parenting is at home.

Obviously ALL parents dont fall into this category.......but the majority I have seen do.

Just because someone is on vacation doesnt mean that common sense is thrown out the window. Kids and their parents if traveling need to think of the other passengers....and not just themselves.

Archived