Nursing in public?

GinnysMama

I also meant to say that YES! All cruisers who nurse their little ones should get together on a cruise! What a beautiful bond to celebrate together. :D My guess is that many breastfeeders are quite like-minded mamas, and it would be lovely conversation!

I am so glad I clicked on this post, my daughter is still breast feeding her 2yr.old mostly a comfort thing and when he is sleepy, but she has kind of been feeling like she has done something wrong since she hasn't weaned him yet. I will be sure to show her all of your posts so she won't feel like the lone ranger anymore. Congratulations to all of you for sticking with it, I know it isn't easy.

It's a shame that your daughter feels like she's doing something wrong by doing something incredibly nurturing and healthy for her child. Thankfully, society is beginning to understand that "breast is best." It may take a while for the message to get across to more moms, but the stigma of NIP is slowly going away which will encourage even more moms to nurse their babies. Good luck to your daughter! :D

I also meant to say that YES! All cruisers who nurse their little ones should get together on a cruise! What a beautiful bond to celebrate together. :D My guess is that many breastfeeders are quite like-minded mamas, and it would be lovely conversation!

Might be an idea to put on your roll call??? I miss nursing and I think it would be a great idea to have other NIP mommies bonding while nurturing their lil ones.

I agree here, but unlike making out :p, nursing is not usually something you can wait to get somewhere completely private for. ;) You're right, I am asking about it because I am afraid that someone else will not feel comfortable seeing me nurse my toddler. It does not mean that they are *right* to be uncomfortable, so I wanted to make sure that I was indeed within the law if someone has the nerve to say anything negative to me, or to suggest that I breastfeed in the restroom or something. (yuck!)

Thank you everyone for your replies! I think I will try and find places that aren't too packed with people and just go for it. That is also a good idea, to ask the company whether they have specific laws about it! I'll get on that. I'm not sure that my little one will tolerate having something over her head, but it is worth a try. I'm not one for conflict, especially about something this important. There is usually NO talking to someone who thinks that breastfeeding is wrong, or NIP is wrong. You cannot change their mind, so they will just keep ranting at you. :confused:

I agree with almost everything you've written about this. But I think it also doesn't mean they would be wrong for feeling uncomfortable either. Feelings needn't be justified; they simply are. Admonishing someone for feeling uncomfortable with seeing a mother nursing in public seems unfair to me. I am not bothered by a mother discreetly nursing, but some people do feel embarrassed (especially some gentlemen), particularly if a woman is sitting right next to them in a confined area. And yes, discreetly, please, don't "whip it out" as my mother so delicately put it one time, make a big deal about it, and then glare around daring anyone to feel uncomfortable seeing a stranger's breast--no matter the true beauty of it. We had a situation in a local courtroom a while back. A mother was there with her infant (no problem with that); the infant needed to nurse (also no problem--and there was even a nursing room set up nearby, not the restroom, but a separate quiet lounge). Instead and in the middle of the court proceedings, she undressed (wasn't wearing easy nursing attire; I have no idea why) and exposed both breasts with no attempt to cover or be discreet. As you can imagine, this was rather distracting to many people in the courtroom, particulary when the baby started fussing. The judge stopped the proceedings and asked her please to use the nursing room. She was incensed that she couldn't just do whatever she wanted, regardless of how it affected the other "business at hand." She wanted to sue the judge, the lawyers, the jury, the people near here, and the county for "discrimination." Sorry, but the judge would have stopped the proceedings for any situation that interfered with the work of the court.

Anyway, NIP is great, but I do believe that sensitivity to others is important too. No need to go use the restroom (yuck, indeed!), but a little consideration is appreciated by most people.

red lobster: I'm glad you're able to show your daughter that there is nothing "weird" or "wrong" with her or her child. Sad how mothers are sometimes made to feel that we must all be exactly alike, that our children must behave exactly the same way (including weening at the same age), and that we can't trust our own instincts about mothering. It's true that most mom's in my circle weened their babies between 9 months and 1 year, but that doesn't mean we think all women should.

beachchick

One thing to keep in mind, although there's not anything wrong with it, but people will be more likely to look and perhaps be a little uncomfortable with you nursing a toddler as opposed to an infant. I think with an infant nursing would draw less attention than with an older child. But, hopefully you won't have any troubles at all.

IMO since your cabin is very accessible to you at all times, the place to nurse is in your cabin. As others have said, that is nap time anyway. I did nurse both of my children and never found it necessary to nurse in public.

I don't have any kids, (and I don't always enjoy being around them,:p) but I fully support the rights of mothers to nurse their babies in public. If it's a place where it's acceptable to feed a baby with a bottle, then it should be acceptable to breastfeed a baby there too (and that should be nearly everywhere that babies are welcome.)

I don't want to eat my meals in the ladies room, and I would never expect a baby to have his or hers in there either! :eek:

Lisa

IMO since your cabin is very accessible to you at all times, the place to nurse is in your cabin. As others have said, that is nap time anyway. I did nurse both of my children and never found it necessary to nurse in public.

I guess my opinion to this poster would be that room service is available as well so if everyone ate in their rooms then no one would have to watch everyone else eat too. I dont know but there are always people who glance at others who eat, whether they are underweight, overweight, male, female, or even what people put on their plates. I think we are in the society who stare and judge everyone so why should our nursing children be stuffed away in a cabin to eat???? But thats just my own opinion.

You see, with all these reactions you can imagine what some people think but won't even dare to say. And I also would agree that a toddler is quite different than an infant, as far as reactions are concerned - simply because it isn't as common.

So, I'd say, use the cabin - that's one of the advantages of the cruise, is that it is so convenient. I'm planning on doing so with my 7 mo. I'm also canceling my reservation and moving into a balcony because prices have dropped so much that it is now worth it and I really feel like I can profit from the balcony while I babysit, for naptime and all that. I'm still paying some more but at least I won't feel so "closed". ;)

Personally speaking, I don't really care too much what other people think, I think there are allways cultural differences and what can shock some, is quite natural to others. But, in what regards nursing I personally hate to NIP, I think I feel a bit exposed or as if I am making other people feel unconfortable - I just don't feel confortable myself.

I personally do not have a problem with NIP; but to breastfeed a 4 yr old in public is a different story than feeding an infant and I think many will stare or make rude comments. Even though it is none of their business.

We moms are made to feel if we bottle feed we are horrible moms and that if we do bottle feed we should ween by 15 - 24 months old. My son was big (9# 4oz) and was eating rice cereal at 6 weeks and jars of baby food by 10 weeks. (yes his pediatrician knew, he told me to do it) Milk just wouldn't hold him over and breastfeeding was never an option for me, my milk never came in at all and he drank a full 4 oz bottle when he was an hour or so old. :eek:

So if we are told that we should ween off the bottle at 15 -24 months old just imagine what some will say about a 4 yr old NIP. I'd find a very private place and nurse while singing or talking to my child rather than replying to a rude person with more rudeness especially in front of my child. Ignore them and don't worry about defending your right to NIP; the rude ones won't listen, they will just come back with insults and comments that they have a right to not see it etc...and yes I saw this happen in a shopping mall once.

I guess I should clarify a little bit. I know some people might get uncomfortable with a woman NIP, and I didn't mean that they were *wrong* to feel that way. In our culture, the vast majority of us were brought up to view breasts as sexual objects. And those of us that don't have the opportunity or the inclination to change those views still may be uncomfortable at the thought of breastfeeding. I suppose I did sound a bit callous, and it did sound as if I was insinuating that those people are *wrong*. I guess what I meant was, someone can be uncomfortable all they want, what I was worried about was that person publicly complaining about it, or giving me rude comments or stares.

ROFL about room service!!! And just for the record, I have no intentions of nursing in my cabin each and every time my little girl wants to nurse. If we are already there, sure. Or on the way there, no problem. I'm not going to go skipping out of my cabin just so I can nurse in the dining room. :D I did not ask *where* I should nurse. I need no one to tell me that. I'm a grown woman. :) But I *did* ask if there were laws protecting my rights to NIP.

As some of you have mentioned, it is unfortunate that I may be subject to more discrimination because my little girl will be 15 months old on the cruise. She's not an infant anymore, and for some bizarre reason, that makes people think that they have more right to make comments and such. I will be on the lookout!

I guess I should clarify a little bit. I know some people might get uncomfortable with a woman NIP, and I didn't mean that they were *wrong* to feel that way. In our culture, the vast majority of us were brought up to view breasts as sexual objects. And those of us that don't have the opportunity or the inclination to change those views still may be uncomfortable at the thought of breastfeeding. I suppose I did sound a bit callous, and it did sound as if I was insinuating that those people are *wrong*. I guess what I meant was, someone can be uncomfortable all they want, what I was worried about was that person publicly complaining about it, or giving me rude comments or stares.

ROFL about room service!!! And just for the record, I have no intentions of nursing in my cabin each and every time my little girl wants to nurse. If we are already there, sure. Or on the way there, no problem. I'm not going to go skipping out of my cabin just so I can nurse in the dining room. :D I did not ask *where* I should nurse. I need no one to tell me that. I'm a grown woman. :) But I *did* ask if there were laws protecting my rights to NIP.

As some of you have mentioned, it is unfortunate that I may be subject to more discrimination because my little girl will be 15 months old on the cruise. She's not an infant anymore, and for some bizarre reason, that makes people think that they have more right to make comments and such. I will be on the lookout!

WTG Tristian! You are a great mom and yeah you dont need anyone's approval or direction on where or when you should nurse! Yeah this thread got a lil more into ppl's own comfort rather than LEGALITIES which you had asked for. I know that my baby is almost an adult but I work with teens who are pregnant and I try to instill this free-style nursing into thier lifestyle! I think this is a great way to nourish their children IF they are able (no pressure either way) but to dispell the fears and taboos surrounding nursing!

I like the idea of asking about the ship's policy - that way you have that info to fall back on if someone should complain or ask you to stop.

I can't really see anyone bothering you about it (aside from looks maybe from kids that aren't as apt to see someone NIP or are kind of fascinated by it). I would think most people would be more comfortable seeing a woman NIP than seeing men in speedos at the pool.

My first post ever! I've been researching for our first cruise coming up in just a couple of weeks, but haven't posted yet. I couldn't resist posting here.

Ginnysmama, I am a nursing mama too. I will be cruising with my 5.5 year old and my 2 year old. The 2 year old is still nursing, and I will be nursing her on demand, as we usually do. Now most days she only nurses first thing in the morning and at bedtime - she's getting close to weaning. (Which is bittersweet, she's my last baby.) But if she wants to nurse for comfort while we're out & about, we will. I am discreet, but I don't wear a blanket. I'm not trying to make a political statement, I'm just meeting my child's needs.

Thanks for raising the topic - I'm going to do a quick bit of research to find Carnival's poicy (if they have one) just in case I need it.

Have a wonderful cruise & keep on nursing your babies.

Katherine.

This is my first cruise w/ my baby and he will be 9 months and nursing. I'm discrete, simply b/c that's the way I am, I use a hooter hider when in public and go to a discrete place.

I'm not trying to make a political statement, I'm just meeting my child's needs.

Me too! After all, you see more boobage on the pool deck than you do when a baby is nursing.

I will tell you this, most other countries are very, very open about NIP and don't see it as in issue like we do in the US. He's on solids now too, which helps at meal times. I requested the early dining b/c I think that's when most families will be eating and it won't be too awkward/ or they will be understanding if he (GASP!!) squeals or giggles or even gets fussy (of course we would leave if it got bad). My thinking is this: our babies are full fare paying customers with the same rights as any adult on the cruise; and that means eating.

Archived