Alaska cruise question (mainly the route)

aim-high

Hi,

This is our first time on a cruise and we wanted to go on an Alaskan cruise. I see there are lot of cruise lines that are available but I am mostly interested in knowing which route to take. We are planning to go on a 7 night seattle round-trip in the month of June. Only reason for this is that I heard June is little bit cheaper than July (july being the peak season)

Out of these places , which ones are the must see.

Glacier Bay

Juneau

Sitka

Ketchikan

Skagway

Hubbard Glacier

Sawyer Glacier

Prince Rupert, Canada

Victoria, BCSince it will be our one in a lifetime opportunity, I would like to make best use of it by seeing the best places.

Thanks

Hi,

This is our first time on a cruise and we wanted to go on an Alaskan cruise. I see there are lot of cruise lines that are available but I am mostly interested in knowing which route to take. We are planning to go on a 7 night seattle round-trip in the month of June. Only reason for this is that I heard June is little bit cheaper than July (july being the peak season)

Out of these places , which ones are the must see.

Glacier Bay

Juneau

Sitka

Ketchikan

Skagway

Hubbard Glacier

Sawyer Glacier

Prince Rupert, Canada

Victoria, BCSince it will be our one in a lifetime opportunity, I would like to make best use of it by seeing the best places.

Thanks

I think actually June is considered peak Alaska travel season. If you want less expensive, consider May (a chance it'll be cool) and September (a chance it'll be rainy to cold).

I think if this is going to be a one-time event for you, definitely Glacier Bay.

Yes, June is a bit cheaper than July. As for the "best" itinerary, that's almost impossible to say. I'd suggest you check out the Alaska forum -- there's TONS of info there and lots of very helpful posters.

From what I know, regardless of ship and itin, you WILL get to Ketchikan and Juneau -- I think all the cruise ships stop at those 2 ports. So there'll be a trade-off on glacier(s) and Sitka/Skagway, and Prince Rupert/Victoria.

Alternatively, you may want to consider a Vancouver departure -- again, there's a TON of info on the Alaska board about Seattle vs Vancouver departures.

I don't think that the ships sailing round trip out of Seattle go through Glacier Bay. If you have your heart set on Glacier Bay look at Princess or Holland America, because I know they have a park service permit to cruise into the bay.

Alaska is awsome! Which ever route you choose you should have a great time.

With your options of HAL and NCL with Glacier Bay, RT from Seattle, look to see which has the longest port times, that is very important as well. Get the best bang for your buck! We're big HAL fans, sailed them twice to Alaska, and just loved it. You need to determine which is best for you and your interests. Check out some books from the library, Fodors and Frommers are my favorites, read, read, read the Alaska boards - those folks are so knowledgeable and helpful! We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Hubbard Glacier in Sept. of 2006 and we really got close, spending the entire day on our balcony seeking tremendous amounts of calving, but last June, we went to Hubbard and couldn't get near as close due to ice. Very minimal amounts of calving, and all had to be viewed thru binoculars, which isn't quite as spectacular seeing it up close and personal.

Do your homework, get advice from the seasoned Alaska experts on cruise critic, follow your heart as far as excursions and "must sees" and be prepared to go back again and again. Alaska just does that to you!:p

I have done a sea land trip and a round trip sea to Alaska. With hind sight I think it would be better to go from Vancouver or Seattle to Anchroage.

Check air fare and you might find it no more expensive. Note that Anchroage is inland but the cruise line will arrange transportation.

The reason is you will see more on a one way trip.

You could also take the train to Denaila if you liked. Add 3 or four days.

The Norwegian Pearl does a R/T out of Seattle and goes to Glacier Bay. We've done it. As far as must sees, I would choose Glacier Bay and Sitka. Not a lot of ships go to Sitka. We've done a R/T and a one way southbound from Anchorage. I will say that I prefer the R/T just because I don't like the high airfare and long flight.

Your best "route" factor, really isn't round trip Seattle, you essentially will have 2 sea days, compared to a significantly better "route" going out of Vancouver.

So I think you may be looking for better "ports and glaciers"??

Glacier Bay is definately a highlight and always accessable. Hubbard is extremely impressive, for it's massage size, Tracy Arm is very scenic sailing, but if glaciers are a priority you will need to consider adding some type of tour as the glacier access is slim.

Plenty is available in each port, each unique, you might be better off looking at a shore excurison list and finding out which has the most touring interest to you??

Then narrow down the ships that offer what you want.

For clairfication HAL and NCL both go to Glacier Bay from Seattle.

I don't think that the ships sailing round trip out of Seattle go through Glacier Bay. If you have your heart set on Glacier Bay look at Princess or Holland America, because I know they have a park service permit to cruise into the bay.

Alaska is awsome! Which ever route you choose you should have a great time.

Ues, NCL Pearl goes to Glacier Bay, the main reason I booked that cruise.

It's all what you want. I wanted Glacier Bay & R/T Seattle. And then I went from there. I also wanted the freestyle of NCL for the times in port in Alaska this was important to me.

Update, I should have read all the posts before posting. I see you got lots of great tips to get you started.

Archived