bringing pop & water on board

carmal

How much water, pop & wine am I allowed to bring on board? How do I carry it on? Do I need to label it with my name & room #?

A small amount. Well how much is a small amount? I have seen people bring a case per person. They put it in a suit case and I have seen some fix handles on the case. They label it just like their luggage.

We don't bring water or pop on board. We have found it really does not cost much more. But we fly.

We had 4 people and brought a 12 pack of root beer, two 12 packs of Pepsi one a case of bottled water and 2 gallon dispenser of bottled water. We just carried it on but we had the luggage carriers that you can stack your luggage on and wheel it on. That was easy for us. I've heard the porters no longer take cases for checked luggage but not sure. I would just buy a soda card if they would sell products other than Coke. We all hate Coke so we have to carry on.

How much water, pop & wine am I allowed to bring on board? How do I carry it on? Do I need to label it with my name & room #?

Carnival says you may bring one bottle of wine per adult. In addition a reasonable amount of non-alcoholic beverages and water may be carried on. So it is very subjective, I know alot of people who bring a case of water. I don't really drink pop or soda, so I can't help you there. Just put the wine in your carry on, and the same with the water and pop. Enjoy your cruise....

Carnival says a "reasonable amount" of each. For carryon, you are restricted to a cooler 12x12x12 inches....

For checkin at the pier, they usually won't take cases unless they are in a suitcase.

There's plenty of soda and water on the ship anyway.

From what I have seen, if you can take it on with your carry-on stuff (incognito), they won't bother you.. Or pack it in suitcases..!!:)

Cases are no longer accepted (even with luggage tags).. A 'reasonable amount', would probably be no more than a 12 pk. per person..:p

The 'smugglers' will probably reply soon.. There is an 'art' to the proper way to 'smuggle' stuff onboard...:D Good luck...

From what I have seen, if you can take it on with your carry-on stuff (incognito), they won't bother you.. Or pack it in suitcases..!!:)

Cases are no longer accepted (even with luggage tags).. A 'reasonable amount', would probably be no more than a 12 pk. per person..:p

The 'smugglers' will probably reply soon.. There is an 'art' to the proper way to 'smuggle' stuff onboard...:D Good luck...

I'll relay our experience to you on the Crown Princess out of San Juan last year (our first ever cruise), because we were confused about the policy as well after having been told different things by different people.

A friend of ours had been on the same cruise shortly before we went, and she told us they brought hard liquor on board that they had bought in the duty free shop right there in the port. So, my wife and I bought a couple bottles of gin, some tonic, and headed through security.

We breezed through the screening process, then as we stepped aboard there was staff asking to look in our duty-free shopping bag. Whoops! They took the gin and left us the tonic! :mad: When we got to our room we asked the room steward how our friends had managed to get hard liquor on board, and he had no idea.

So my wife went back up to the duty free shop to see if she could learn the secret. Luckily someone working there spilled the beans. It's really very simple: all you do is leave the "permitted" items (soda, water, wine, champagne, etc.) in the duty free shopping bag, and pack the hard liquor in your carry-on bag!

You might think security would stop you when the X-ray machine reveals the bottle of booze in your carry-on, but apparently they could care less and are only trying to detect safety-related issues. So you could get through the security screening with a backpack full of booze if you wanted to. Then, as you step aboard you show the ship's staff that your duty-free shopping bag contains only "permitted" beverages, and you're on your way!

I don't know if this works on all cruise lines and in all ports of departure, but it worked for us, and we enjoyed a gin & tonic in our stateroom every night of the cruise. :D

On our first and so far, only, cruise on the Conquest we had a large suitcase, checked, with the following:

12 pack Pepsi

12 pack Sierra Mist

12 pack Diet Mt Dew

12 pack Diet Dr Pepper

12 pack Water

1 bottle of rum

1 bottle of vodka

2 bottles of bloody mary mix

2 bottles of wine

All made it to our room no problem. We also had a basket of fruit with wine delivered to our room and an anniversary basket with champagne delivered to our room. If you don't carry it on, it is easier to get on board than you think.

I bring on a case of water. I just take a suitcase with it, my towels for the beach (don't like using the ship ones on excursions), our water shoes etc. Then at the end of the week when the water is almost gone I have room to pack whatever I bought in the suitcase.

Carnival says a "reasonable amount" of each. For carryon' date=' you are restricted to a cooler 12x12x12 inches....

For checkin at the pier, they usually won't take cases unless they are in a suitcase.

There's plenty of soda and water on the ship anyway.[/quote']

From Carnival's website.

Baggage means only trunks, valises, satchels, bags, hangers and bundles with their contents consisting of only such wearing apparel, toilet articles and similar personal effects as are necessary and appropriate for the purpose of the journey.

It would seem they might not be following their own rules. As soda/water has been deemed appropriate for the journey by Carnival's own rules as personal effects you bring on board.

And if the appropriate items are "bundled" as stated in the rules and tagged correctly they should check them at curb side.

Those rules do go both you ways you know.

• 1 month later...

Anyone sailed recently (as in, since March) know whether a case of Coke is permitted for 2 people? Or should we just buy 2 12s? We plan to just carry it on with us as the other booze (wine, etc.,) will be in the checked bag. I guess I should add, out of the Port of New Orleans.

Thanks!

Someone on this board recently said that carnival wouldn't let them bring water and soda that wasn't packed in a bag or luggage. She had to stuff as much as she could in her carry on and/or luggage and leave the rest.

I hope that is not the case for NOLA? I've done a search and couldn't find a recent answer. Anyone know for sure?

So it looks like we will have to pack any soda we want into our suit cases in order to get it on board. I have to say that this is one of the most irritating questions to me on here. Should I just bring an extra carry-on and fill it up with soda and slap a luggage tag on it or what? I thought that Carnival allowed a reasonable amount of soda on board, so the smuggling comments make no sense to me. :mad: :confused:

Why would someone bring water on board when it's free? Individual taste, for one. I see some people don't like Coke products on this thread. Well, some people don't like the taste of the free water on the ship. We brought a case of water on board the Pride in March. We just had it in a metal roller basket and wheeled it right on in.

We filled the empty bottles with lemonade and tea!

Smuggler says..... 12 packs of pop and/or water is fine. Get tube socks, bubble wrap, and freezer bags and back your vodka, whiskey, rum, and gin....CCL is the BEST!!!!

Question for fellow smugglers.... My wife LOVES Baileys....now the bottles are weird shaped so I think some bubble wrap and a freezer bag should do the trick right?

Bob

Jon

Did you have to put a luggage tag on it? When you say, wheeled it on do you mean with your carryons onto the ship or for it to be delivered to your stateroom. Sorry for the confusion on my part - I have never cruised before so I am having a hard time picturing it!!:confused:

Our wine and rum is bubble wrapped and packed tightly and going on on the checked bag. I'm just wondering about a 24 pack of Coke that can just be carried on with our carry-on bags. Specifically in NOLA. Hopefully, someone who has sailed from there recently will know for sure what they were letting through.

There were issues last fall when the Fantasy (sails out of New Orleans) came out of Dry dock and there were lots of posts about foul tasting water on board. I drink a lot of water so I took a case of bottled water and a 6 pak of Dr. pepper for my DS (age 12). Be sure your suitcase even if driving doesn't weigh more than 50 lbs.

Archived