Distance Vancouver Westin Bayshore to Vancouver China Town

Posted on west coast departure board and thought I might get an answer here also. Hoping someone can provide the distance from the Westin Bayshore to China Town is it walkable or the approx. cost of cab. Also any reasonable restaurants? Thanks for any info.

Why would you want to go to Chinatown? It is not in the best part of town and there really isn't much to see, unless you want to visit the Dr. Sun Yet Sen Gardens. But, if you insist, it is walkable if you have 45 minutes to spare. It actually is a lovely walk (lovely vistas, shops, eateries along the way) until you get to the edge of Gastown. That is where the seedy part of Vancouver starts. So, if you are going, walk along the seawall towards the Convention Center (building with the sails on top). Just keep going on the sidewalk and you will come to Gastown. Walk through Gastown (you'll know you are there because of the cobblestone street) Once you get to the end of Gastown (this is where the seedy part begins), just keep walking till you hit Main Street. Turn right and head two blocks. The corner of Main St. and Hastings is the epicenter of seediness. No one will bother you, but just keep moving another block on Main Street and you are in Chinatown.

Cost of cab: probably apporximately $10 - 15 Cdn.

Resonable restaurants? Depends what you are after. Vancouver is full of really good, resonable restaurants. From the Bayshore, find Denman Street. It is the closest Street to your hotel that intersects Georgia ST (that is the street that fronts the Bayshore). Walk up Denman and you will find all sorts of restaurants. If you want good, reliable, and inexpensive Chinese food, turn left on Robson, walk up Robson (about 1500m give or take) and you will come to a Chinese Restaurant called Hons. Very popular with locals as it is fast, good, and inexpensive. If you want more formal Chinese food, then there are some good places further up Robson. Ask the concierge for directions Kirin Restaurant. Need more advice, don't be afraid to ask! Have fun on your explorations.

Why would you want to go to Chinatown? Because I have been to several others in the US. Why would you answer in such a way? A bit harsh don't you think?It is not in the best part of town did not know this thanks. and there really isn't much to see, unless you want to visit the Dr. Sun Yet Sen Gardens. But, if you insist, it is walkable if you have 45 minutes to spare. It actually is a lovely walk (lovely vistas, shops, eateries along the way) until you get to the edge of Gastown. That is where the seedy part of Vancouver starts. So, if you are going, walk along the seawall towards the Convention Center (building with the sails on top). Just keep going on the sidewalk and you will come to Gastown. Walk through Gastown (you'll know you are there because of the cobblestone street) Once you get to the end of Gastown (this is where the seedy part begins), just keep walking till you hit Main Street. Turn right and head two blocks. The corner of Main St. and Hastings is the epicenter of seediness. No one will bother you, but just keep moving another block on Main Street and you are in Chinatown.

Cost of cab: probably apporximately $10 - 15 Cdn.

Resonable restaurants? Depends what you are after. Vancouver is full of really good, resonable restaurants. From the Bayshore, find Denman Street. It is the closest Street to your hotel that intersects Georgia ST (that is the street that fronts the Bayshore). Walk up Denman and you will find all sorts of restaurants. If you want good, reliable, and inexpensive Chinese food, turn left on Robson, walk up Robson (about 1500m give or take) and you will come to a Chinese Restaurant called Hons. Very popular with locals as it is fast, good, and inexpensive. If you want more formal Chinese food, then there are some good places further up Robson. Ask the concierge for directions Kirin Restaurant. Need more advice, don't be afraid to ask! Have fun on your explorations.

Thanks for the detailed info. I will change where I might visit while in Vancouver.

It would be in the range of 3 or so miles and thru some areas that you may not care to walk. I would take a cab and plan that it will cost about $12/15. Your other option would be to take transit...here is a link for your convenience:

http://tripplanning.translink.bc.ca/hiwire?.a=iTripPlanning&.s={$SID}

I would recommend seeing other sites in Vancouver and not Chinatown. It is not what it used to be and it is also right bordering the Downtown Eastside (bad area of town). Instead, in the downtown core, Visit Stanley Park or Granville Island and Yaletown.

I would recommend seeing other sites in Vancouver and not Chinatown. It is not what it used to be and it is also right bordering the Downtown Eastside (bad area of town).

I am not sure that I share that view completly. Chinatown is certainly still very robust area and has a huge historical significance in the city of Vancouver. However as more and more Chinese people imigrated to Canada pre the turn over of Hong Kong they chose to live in other parts of the metro area, particularly out in Richmond near the airport. This has had the effect of reducing Chinatown's importance as the cultural centre of the Canadian/Chinese community but it is still very much worthy of a visit.:)

Cutural Smultural! Come on folks, Chinatown was once a quaint area that amused the locals and tourists with its restaurants and little shops. Today, it really hasn't changed much except for the addition of the downtown Eastside problems. Like I said if you're into going into the gardens and if you want to see the entry archway (which was erected to entice tourists) then you should go, but other than that, there really is not point. There are way better, and cleaner Chinese restaurants dotted all over the city in safer neighborhoods and in areas that are easier to reach for tourists. And, historically, yes, Chinatown was important to the development of that part of town, but other than that fact, there really isn't anymore to know or see for that matter!

Cutural Smultural! Come on folks, Chinatown was once a quaint area that amused the locals and tourists with its restaurants and little shops. Today, it really hasn't changed much except for the addition of the downtown Eastside problems. Like I said if you're into going into the gardens and if you want to see the entry archway (which was erected to entice tourists) then you should go, but other than that, there really is not point. There are way better, and cleaner Chinese restaurants dotted all over the city in safer neighborhoods and in areas that are easier to reach for tourists. And, historically, yes, Chinatown was important to the development of that part of town, but other than that fact, there really isn't anymore to know or see for that matter!

You may not agree with another posters opinions but you should not ridicule them. I have lived in Vancouver for all of my 60 plus years and I feel quite comfortable in Chinatown. I can think of a number of areas in major CA cities that I would feel a whole lot less comfortable.

I do agree with you that there are nicer Chinese restaurants through out the city than perhaps those in Chinatown but you don't have the same experience as going to one in Chinatown plus there is the whole Chinatown experience.

I am sorry that our Chinatown did not meet your expectations but to Puffinater I am sure that should decide to go visit Chinatown it will be a pleasant and interesting experience for you.

Change my mind, I was downtown and made a detour to drive through Chinatown cause I haven't done that in a while.

I would say, if you have a couple days in Vancouver, see Chinatown (go to the oriental gate, the chinese garden, etc. . .).

Just realize that like the neighborhood of historic Gastown, it can only take a walk of 10 minutes in the wrong direction to end up in a weary area.

The Dr Sun Yat Sen Garden is interesting if you are into history and Culture. I would also recommend the Museum of Anthropology which is at the University of British Columbia (not near downtown, about 20 minutes from downtown), it is situated in Point Grey, beautiful area.

Like Putterdude, I was born, raised and spent 61 years living in Vancouver. China Town has always been, and remains, one of my favourite parts of the city.

China Town simply became too small to handle the massive influx of Chinese immigrants during the 80's and 90's so the Chinese population spread out across the city. This meant China Town was no longer the heart of the Chinese population in Vancover....but it remains and exciting lively place to visit.

Contrary to some opinions posted earlier, China Town has nothing at all to do with tourists. Those who live, work and have businesses in China Town care little for tourists and are there to serve the Chinese community! That is what makes it so wonderful.

There is nothing to fear from the people who exist on the fringes of China Town...they are just poor, addicted and downtrodden...this makes wandering through their neighbourhood less than attractive or enjoyable. But, don't pass up China Town because of that.

Go to the Sun Yet Sen garden...it is classical....historic and peaceful. Then just stroll the streets...stop and check out the shops...watch the people shopping...it won't take long and it is a very worthwhile experience.

As for Chinese food....the best restaurants are no longer in China Town. The really great one....where I learned to use chop sticks with my Chinese friends as a child...the Ho Inn burned down a decade or so ago. But there are several really good restaurants, and, if you are looking for good food and are prepared to cab it out of the downtown core check out...Sun Lock Gardens of Fraser Street...great spicey szechuan style cooking....or....The Fantastic Restaurant on Kingsway for really good Dim Sum! But understand ....there are as many great Chinese restaurants in this city as there are those of us who love Chinese food!!!

I also second the suggestion that you visit the Museum of Anthropology at UBC. They just completely renovated and redecorated it....it is supposed to marvelous!

I also second the suggestion that you visit the Museum of Anthropology at UBC. They just completely renovated and redecorated it....it is supposed to marvelous!

So you think they stopped the Arthur Ericson leaks...all his buildings are leakers.

Ok, now on to Chinese restaurants:

the Pink Pearl on East Hastings

the Fourtune Garden Seafood Restaurant on West Broadway

Now let the noodle fight begin...everyone in Vancouver has their favourite Chinese restaurant.:)

www.pinkpearl.com

I to spent some time down in Chinatown yesterday as part of a bike ride through the False Creek industrial flats etc and just looking up at the building dates of some of the old buildings is a task in itself. Don't forget that the narrowest building around is at the corner of Pender and Carrall - offices of an insurance company

Another project that is nearing completion and will make it a little more attractive to go from Gastown to Chinatown and False Creek is the Carrall St Greenway project that the City is currently working on.

Here's a link about the project:

http://vancouver.ca/engsvcs/streets/greenways/city/carrall/index.htm

Cheers

Dennis

Putter....that of course is always the question!!! LOL!! I suspect though if they just finished the reno's then for a year or so it will be leak-proof. Then again I am not sure if they did anything to the structure or just re-did the interior?? I know it was really shabby for the past couple of years.

In front of the Museum are the remains of the WWll anti-aircraft batteries. Beneath them buried in the cliff was the western military command center. When I was a kid we would break into the underground tunnels and rooms through the fresh shafts and play for hours...it was our "fort"! They have made one of the three original placements into a "museum" of sorts with pictures and descriptions. I often wonder if the kids who live at UBC still try to get into the tunnels!!??

You may not agree with another posters opinions but you should not ridicule them. I have lived in Vancouver for all of my 60 plus years and I feel quite comfortable in Chinatown. I can think of a number of areas in major CA cities that I would feel a whole lot less comfortable.

"all of my 60 plus...."

Your profile says "Sechelt and Fort Mohave"; neither of which is within an hour of Vancouver....

"all of my 60 plus...."

Your profile says "Sechelt and Fort Mohave"; neither of which is within an hour of Vancouver....

I wont dignify your post by giving you my lifetime association with Vancouver except to say , my goodness you certainly were in need of your medication last night!:eek:

Archived