Destiny Carribean questions

Going on the two week cruise on Destiny on 5th April flying from Glasgow.

Been on the Destiny before but have a couple of questions.

- Has anyone used a step-up transformer on the ship?

- What has the Carribean weather been like recently?

- Has anyone gone on the 'swim with the Dolphin trip- was it good value?

- Is the sea typically calm, does it differ much from the Med?

Thanks for any advice and information anyone can give.

:)

We have been on 8 cruises since 2004 - all with Thomsons and will be happy to answer any questions about any of the other ships.

Hello,

Can't answer all your questions but will help with what I can. We didn't use a step-up transformer but did take a 4-way extension so that we could charge camera/phone batteries and run my hair tongs all at the same time. It would be fair to say that charging did take longer and the batteries didn't hold their charge as well as usual - but it was ok as long as we charged everything up each night.

Weather was good in February when we were there - quite a few days we had short (10 minute) showers and occasionally it was a bit cloudy - but it was very hot all the time - no need for jumpers although there was a wind most of the time but this just kept the temperature more pleasant. It was typically 30+ and the sea was fabulous at around 25C. (Some people who'd been on a cruise and stay had very rainy weather in the Dom Rep though.)

I wouldn't say the sea was particularly calm - on quite a few days the Capt. described it as 'moderate'. I don't know whether he had a tendency to under-play the sea conditions or whether I felt the swell more on the Destiny than on the Spirit and Celebration, but I did need to take Stugeron the first day as I woke up feeling pretty rough. Two pills and a couple of hours in bed soon sorted me out but I took one pill on several evenings as a preventative when he said 'moderate seas' for the rest of the cruise and had no further problems.

You seem to be as committed to cruising with Thomson as we are - we only started in 2005 but have done quite a few too. :D Enjoy the Caribbean - we had a fab time and the destinations are great.

http://www.dolphindiscovery.com

I used this website to book online before we sailed. It is the same place on Tortola, but was cheaper than the ship's trip and we had just the five of us in our group with the trainer and a dolphin. The ship excursion had about twenty people in each group. Two of our group spectated and weren't charged, unlike the ship excursion. It is a five minute taxi ride from the dock, and our driver left us his card and reception at the Dolphin Discovery phoned him when we were ready to leave.

It was a great experience, we did the basic programme and were in the water about 45 minutes. They are very safety conscious both for the tourists and the dolphins. It is suitable for all ages as you can stand on a ledge in the water and everyone wears a lifejacket. My mother-in-law is 81 and partially sighted and she thoroughly enjoyed herself.

Carol x

Hi capasamari:)

It's good to know the dolphin swim is good. We've booked ours online already (leave for our cruise on 22nd March).We decided to book the next one up from the basic experience and it was the same price as the very basic one with the Thomson excursion so we feel we've got a good deal. I was a bit sceptical about booking as I didn't know what it would be like, but since reading the reviews on this sight I'm a lot happier about it. My OH is really looking forward to it as he hasn't swum with them before (I did it at Discovery Cove in Florida).

Can't wait for a bit of sunshine and some nice cocktails in the Sky Bar!!!!:D

Janet

We go back to Tortola in December and Paul wants to do one of the more adventurous dolphin programmes then. We felt that the "dorsal tow" and the "foot push" might be a bit ambitious for his mum first time around (although he has threatened to book her on one next time!!) She has been showing all her friends the photos of herself kissing and shaking hands with Venus, and the DVD of our experience (filmed at the time).

If you've got some water shoes you might be glad of them as the metal grating you stand on in the water is very weedy (yuk). I also wore my wetsuit as I get really cold standing in water. The trainers were wearing wetsuits as well. (Paul says I'm the only person he knows that can go to the Caribbean and complain that they're cold :rolleyes:.

We all enjoyed the cocktails as well, we had free All-Inclusive so worked our way down the cocktail menu and then back up again..;)

Carol x

We all enjoyed the cocktails as well, we had free All-Inclusive so worked our way down the cocktail menu and then back up again..;)

Carol x

haha same here :)

aww the dolphin swim sounds fab! wish we had done it now

ah well maybe next time :)

Archived