Lei Greeting?

sisterSunshine

Traveling on POA May 30, 09. Seven members of our party have never been to Hawaii. Should I arrange a lei greeting at the airport? If so, with whom? When I visited 10 years ago, folks wore their leis to PH and dropped them in the water as a memorial. Is that still done? Are there leis available onboard?

Great question. I think it should be part of the experience and would love one once I get off the plane. My husband has never been, but when we watch it on TV, that's how it's done. Seems like he would be missing something if they didn't. Any info would be appreciated.

I read somewhere they you can still put them in the water at PH and feel that it would be a moving experience.

Thinking has changed a bit and folks no longer toss the whole lei into the water. I guess there have been instances where the string from the lei has harmed marine life. We now remove the flowers from the lei and toss them in or just toss in cut flowers. Still a beautiful and thoughtful thing to do.

I have been to Hawaii many times and the Lei's were included in the airfare/hotel package. Although they are pretty and smell nice, they come off as soon as I reach the hotel because they are itchy. I have never seen anyone throw them in the water. I have seen them for sale in most of the airport shops, however I must admit the first few times it was really cool to get them...:)

We had a group of 8 and only 2 of us had been to Hawaii before so we set up a lei greeting. The group thought it was great. We added the lei greeting with our transportation but I am certain you can find a lei greeting company on line.

Great question. I think it should be part of the experience and would love one once I get off the plane. My husband has never been, but when we watch it on TV, that's how it's done. Seems like he would be missing something if they didn't. Any info would be appreciated.

I have not used these guys yet but I am planning on it when we go in September. I just searched getting leid in Hawaii and this is what came up.

http://www.getleidinhawaii.com/

You might want to check them out.

John

Archived