catagory upgrade at no additional $

mrdrdoso

We just booked the gem and to my dismay I was booked in a K catagory and when I looked to see where the room was it was on the bottom deck 4. I have never been that low before I am concerned of the noise and the rockiness. Does anyone know if I can be upgraded to a higher deck without paying extra? It was never offered that just where I was put. Anyone been that low before is it ok? need advise please

We just booked the gem and to my dismay I was booked in a K catagory and when I looked to see where the room was it was on the bottom deck 4. I have never been that low before I am concerned of the noise and the rockiness. Does anyone know if I can be upgraded to a higher deck without paying extra? It was never offered that just where I was put. Anyone been that low before is it ok? need advise please

I don't understand- did your TA not tell you what category they were selling you? I believe all the K's are on deck 4. No worries- lots of people LOVE the lower (more stable) decks. The good thing is that you have cabins above you, and most likely have crew cabins below you.

If you like higher, I don't think it is at all likely that you will get a free upgrade. It is possible you could get an upsell call but that is a roll of the dice.

No matter what - you will have a great vacation. Every cabin has its benefits and drawbacks.

All category K cabins are located on deck 4. The cost to upgrade to a higher deck is not that much more.

The only problem that I can see is that on port days, the hallways will be crowded with passengers waiting to get off the ship...that is typically where the gang planks / exits are located.

If you are far aft, there may be some periodic vibration from the propellors. Typically, the crews quarters are back there.

Oh...hopefully your cabin will not share a wall with the crew's disco...I understand that can be a problem. Unfortunately, the ship deck diagrams don't tell you what all those "blank" spaces really are used for.

I would opt to upgrade to deck 5 at least...the cost is very minimal.

It is unusual to have many cat K cabins available...if you actually booked an inside guarantee ("GTY"), with the cat K as your fare base, then you will likely get an upgrade somewhere "inside"...almost all of which could be considered better than deck 4.

Did you book a GTY?

Deck 4 on the GEM is where everyone will enter/exit at ports. I've waited in the hallway down there to exit the ship and the lines seemed endless and always felt sorry for anyone trying to get in or out of their cabin at that time.:rolleyes:

The lower and mid ship you are the less you will feel the motion of the ship.:)

It never hurts to call and ask -- we got a great free upgrade one time by calling and saying we would like a different room if possible. Also, if you have a guarantee, you have a good chance at an upgrade -- on all of our cruises, we have only sailed in the category we paid for once...

thank you for your advise, when my ta called me with price I was at work and I just said ok, never really looked at catagory before have always been on deck 7 or 8, we aren't really fussy but I don't want to be on 4, so I will see what I can do. I appreciate tips

So I did get moved up to the kk for hardly anything, thanks for all your advise. I would not of been happy on the same deck as the gangway.

I'm sure I will be back somewhere asking for advise, so to all of you wherever your sailing too, have a great time, there's no better vacation than on a boat:D

So I did get moved up to the kk for hardly anything, thanks for all your advise. I would not of been happy on the same deck as the gangway.

I'm sure I will be back somewhere asking for advise, so to all of you wherever your sailing too, have a great time, there's no better vacation than on a boat:D

Another suggestion for the future -- when discussing a booking with a TA or directly with the cruise line, have the deck plan in hand (or on screen!) and specify some cabin numbers that you would prefer to be in so they know ahead of time exactly what you want.

I personally have found that midship low decks are quieter than, for example, far forward cabins (anchor winches), or those above or below the theatre (there are often late night rehearsals in there!!! :eek:)

Happy vacation, and make sure you join the rollcall for your sailing!

If you are far aft, there may be some periodic vibration from the propellors. Typically, the crews quarters are back there.

The Gem doesn't have propellers. It has Azipods. Doubtful there will be any vibration. And, anyway all the cabins on Deck 4 are mid-ship and forward.

The Gem doesn't have propellers. It has Azipods. Doubtful there will be any vibration. And, anyway all the cabins on Deck 4 are mid-ship and forward.

That's fascinating. Is it just the new ships that have the pods? What about Dawn? Thanks

Archived