Royal Champions

Admin

There are some real kool aid drinkers if you dont think the cruise ship companys place plants in the fourms or boards.

Go look at the Carnivial board, there are way to many cheerleaders for Carnival that jump on you when you poat something not nice.

If there not plants they work for Carnivial.

This is a very interesting...........debate. I'm a new Royal Champion. I have not received any benefit from Royal Caribbean.....or its parent company.......RCCL.

I have written to RCCL about the "viral" discussion......that has been posted by an unknown writer for a paper. She started off by misspelling Ms. Hancock's name. I truly wonder what else she has misinformed all of us.

I'm waiting till I hear from Royal Caribbean........RCCL.......or ticker RCL.......for a response of what exactly is happening.

I think that many of the posters here are overly ambitious to put the Royal Champion program out of business.

If it is a fact.........that will be given to me by RCCL.........that they are doing what ...........the naysayers........are saying, IE "Royal Chumps"

I'll be the first one to disassociate myself from this program.

It's the weekend..............and so much venom has spewed forth.....that I'm actually amazed at some of the posters here.

I have been slammed in the past............and I'll be slammed in the future, but I know what I represent...........as a fair and balanced report of any cruise that I have been on............and that includes Princess, HAL, Renaissance (out of business, but the best line that I have cruised on) and others, as pointed out in my sig line.

I'm pretty sick and tired of so much misinformation that has been put forth here.

If........what has been reported by this one media person.........is true..........I will be the first to let RCCL know that I'm not a Royal Champion.

However.......if this proves not to be true...........a tremendous amount of energy has been put forth for nothing..........and I will have all of the negative posters names........and they will have no credibility on CC.

So, there you have it.

I will wait till I hear from the source.......before I do anything.

Stepping down!

Rick

No matter what happens here on CC...this whole "experiment" should be the basis on a Marketing Class one day.

What a sorry mess! I don't know what RCCL thinks they are going to do with their "viral marketing" program now...but displaying the signature "Member...Royal Champion"... now that we all are privy to the strategy and motivations behind it...is about as prestigious and "influential" as posting "Member ...Sam's Club."

Whether I am posting here or just reading...it will be fascinating to watch the follow-up.

Take a deep breath. It is not a sorry mess. Even in this thread most posts are by the same few and say the same stuff over and over. Those who were designated Royal Champions will keep posting and reading. The great mass of everyone else will keep posting and reading. Cruise Critic discussion forums will keep growing. Other discussion forums will remain small compared to Cruise Critic. Royal Caribbean bookings will only be affected by the state of the economy. Royal Caribbean will continue to have marketing programs. Maybe the particular Royal Champion program will end but there will be others. With the growth of social networking, Facebook and Twitter, the death of newspapers and print, we have only seen the beginning of new kinds of marketing.

There are some real kool aid drinkers if you dont think the cruise ship companys place plants in the fourms or boards.

Go look at the Carnivial board, there are way to many cheerleaders for Carnival that jump on you when you poat something not nice.

There will always be some fans who form an emotional bond with a particular cruise line. The companies don't need to place plants. The forum set up with separate boards for every line, which can't be helped do to the large number of Cruise Critic members tends to bring out the worst in some fans.

What I was talking about were the small percentage of people who are members on some other cruise-related board posting on - and I'm going to laugh as I type this next word - competing ones, basically just to troll in favor of a particular cruise line. That probably happens, but these particular folks are just immature and ridiculous. They're not plants.

I agree there are many cheerleaders in the Carnival forum. The same could be said about most forums. How do you define a "plant" as it relates to Cruise Critic, anyway?

This is a very interesting...........debate. I'm a new Royal Champion. I have not received any benefit from Royal Caribbean.....or its parent company.......RCCL.

I have written to RCCL about the "viral" discussion......that has been posted by an unknown writer for a paper. She started off by misspelling Ms. Hancock's name. I truly wonder what else she has misinformed all of us.

I'm waiting till I hear from Royal Caribbean........RCCL.......or ticker RCL.......for a response of what exactly is happening.

I think that many of the posters here are overly ambitious to put the Royal Champion program out of business.

If it is a fact.........that will be given to me by RCCL.........that they are doing what ...........the naysayers........are saying, IE "Royal Chumps"

I'll be the first one to disassociate myself from this program.

It's the weekend..............and so much venom has spewed forth.....that I'm actually amazed at some of the posters here.

I have been slammed in the past............and I'll be slammed in the future, but I know what I represent...........as a fair and balanced report of any cruise that I have been on............and that includes Princess, HAL, Renaissance (out of business, but the best line that I have cruised on) and others, as pointed out in my sig line.

I'm pretty sick and tired of so much misinformation that has been put forth here.

If........what has been reported by this one media person.........is true..........I will be the first to let RCCL know that I'm not a Royal Champion.

However.......if this proves not to be true...........a tremendous amount of energy has been put forth for nothing..........and I will have all of the negative posters names........and they will have no credibility on CC.

So, there you have it.

I will wait till I hear from the source.......before I do anything.

Stepping down!

Rick

Well said Rick! :)

Take a deep breath. It is not a sorry mess. Even in this thread most posts are by the same few and say the same stuff over and over. Those who were designated Royal Champions will keep posting and reading. The great mass of everyone else will keep posting and reading. Cruise Critic discussion forums will keep growing. Other discussion forums will remain small compared to Cruise Critic. Royal Caribbean bookings will only be affected by the state of the economy. Royal Caribbean will continue to have marketing programs. Maybe the particular Royal Champion program will end but there will be others. With the growth of social networking, Facebook and Twitter, the death of newspapers and print, we have only seen the beginning of new kinds of marketing.

This has been one of the best posts in this thread.

I've highlighted one sentence that I agree with. Having read so many posts expressing anger, accountability, and upset, maybe that sentence isn't accurate. That said, I do have a question for those they feel they have been deceived by RCCL and those that feel they are now Royal Chumps......

Has this program made you decide to cancel any upcoming cruise with RCCL?

I personally think this issue has been completely blown out of proportion.

RCs do give very good advice when questions are asked about RCCL cruises. If you knock the cruise line they do come to its defense and some do gang up on anyone who is not quite on their same page, but they do have a wealth of knowledge and are happy to share it.

But I must ask one question, why do so may RC use ............ rather than proper punctuation. Is it RC code or did someone start doing it and the rest followed?

Advice to RCs, some of you have become to defensive and whiny as a result of these criticisms and you need to get a thicker skin. Just keep doing the excellent job you've done on giving advice and understand that too much cheer-leading will, for some, seem contrived as a result of all of this.

Lastly, FYI, we went on the final Solstice pre-inaugural and it cost over $1,000 for a no frills balcony, no free drinks, no shops open and we had to pay for specialty restaurant we went to, so please don't discount the value of the perks you may have received.

Originally Posted by Host Mick viewpost.gif

Exactly what part of this did Cruisecritic.com create? CC's involvement ended when they forwarded RCI's request for contact with some CC members to the CC members. This was done this way to keep CC member's e-mail addresses confidential.

Cruisecritic.com has nothing to do with the RC program.

My question is will CC forward a contact request to a CC member' date=' if asked by another CC member?[/b']

Thank you for your answer but I am truly saddened by it, Laura. To me this means that CC will do this for a corporate sponsor and someone they have an exclusive Meet & Mingle contract with. Yet they won't do it for any of the members that make up their board and who are the ones that CC makes money from for each post they make. :(

Or maybe they will do it for Credit Cards, Mortgage lenders, CCL (god forbid:D), cruise insurance, airlines, who knows...?

No matter what happens here on CC...this whole "experiment" should be the basis on a Marketing Class one day.

What a sorry mess! I don't know what RCCL thinks they are going to do with their "viral marketing" program now...but displaying the signature "Member...Royal Champion"... now that we all are privy to the strategy and motivations behind it...is about as prestigious and "influential" as posting "Member ...Sam's Club."

Whether I am posting here or just reading...it will be fascinating to watch the follow-up.

Now wait a minute........if we do not display the RC in our sigs we are "sneaky plants" working for RCCL, if we do display the RC in our sigs we are now only Sam's Club worthy? LOL :D

I'll tell you exactly what I think RCCL is going to do with the RC program. Nothing. They are leaving it exactly as it is. Why?

Despite what you think the program is crystal clear in the details RCCL has provided us a few days ago. They are giving us an opportunity/invite to events to get our opinion on the brand but we must pay all our own expenses to go to the event to give our opinion.

Prior to Sept 2008 when I was first selected as a RC, I gave my opinion on the brand all the time and it didn't cost me anything! Now I have to pay. lol:D All RCCL is giving us is the "opportunity/invite" we will pay to be part of the opportunity/invite and they get our opinion for free. Its pure genuis! WHY would they cancel it? lol:D AND they have everyone talking about RCCL and it didn't cost them anything. I've lost count of the stories of the RC's and RCCL that are in various forms of media now which is all free marketing for RCCL. You may think this has hurt RCCL but there are many that would say there is no such thing as bad press. Free press is even better! The details of the program are very clear in this email from RCCL.

Here is a brief summary about the Royal Champions program.

Royal Champions are a small group of passionate travel enthusiasts and prolific individuals, who were identified by an independent third party on behalf of Royal Caribbean International, as frequently engaging in online discussions and sharing information about cruising on the internet. With the proliferation of online social networks, blogs and discussion boards on the internet – many of which serve as forums where vacationers visit consistently in search for travel information and advice – Royal Caribbean decided to engage these enthusiasts knowing that they would be a valuable source of information for our current and prospective customers. Thus in early 2007, in keeping with our legacy of innovation, we initiated a program in which the Royal Champions were invited to learn more about our brand, our ships and our amenities.

We have provided the Royal Champions with the opportunity to experience our product during inaugural sailings so that they can provide their opinions and informed reviews in the online spaces they are participating in. On a few occasions, they also have served as focus groups providing us with valuable feedback on a number of topics. Royal Champions have been invited - along with traditional media, top travel partners, and loyal Crown & Anchor Society members - to preview new ships and programs and share their opinions if, when and how they see fit. They are responsible for their own travel arrangements and expenses, which are not paid by Royal Caribbean. Royal Champions do not receive any compensation for their participation nor do we influence what they share or how they participate in their online discussions.

We are gratified by the enthusiasm these Royal Champions have for cruising and our goal is to continue to incorporate their insights to continually improve the Royal Caribbean vacation experience for all of our guests.

Now wait a minute........if we do not display the RC in our sigs we are "sneaky plants" working for RCCL, if we do display the RC in our sigs we are now only Sam's Club worthy? LOL :D

I'll tell you exactly what I think RCCL is going to do with the RC program. Nothing. They are leaving it exactly as it is. Why?

Despite what you think the program is crystal clear in the details RCCL has provided us a few days ago. They are giving us an opportunity/invite to events to get our opinion on the brand but we must pay all our own expenses to go to the event to give our opinion.

Prior to Sept 2008 when I was first selected as a RC, I gave my opinion on the brand all the time and it didn't cost me anything! Now I have to pay. lol:D All RCCL is giving us is the "opportunity/invite" we will pay to be part of the opportunity/invite and they get our opinion for free. Its pure genuis! WHY would they cancel it? lol:D AND they have everyone talking about RCCL and it didn't cost them anything. I've lost count of the stories of the RC's and RCCL that are in various forms of media now which is all free marketing for RCCL. You may think this has hurt RCCL but there are many that would say there is no such thing as bad press. Free press is even better! The details of the program are very clear in this email from RCCL.

Royal Champions are a small group of passionate travel enthusiasts and prolific individuals, who were identified by an independent third party on behalf of Royal Caribbean International, as frequently engaging in online discussions and sharing information about cruising on the internet. With the proliferation of online social networks, blogs and discussion boards on the internet – many of which serve as forums where vacationers visit consistently in search for travel information and advice – Royal Caribbean decided to engage these enthusiasts knowing that they would be a valuable source of information for our current and prospective customers. Thus in early 2007, in keeping with our legacy of innovation, we initiated a program in which the Royal Champions were invited to learn more about our brand, our ships and our amenities.

We have provided the Royal Champions with the opportunity to experience our product during inaugural sailings so that they can provide their opinions and informed reviews in the online spaces they are participating in. On a few occasions, they also have served as focus groups providing us with valuable feedback on a number of topics. Royal Champions have been invited - along with traditional media, top travel partners, and loyal Crown & Anchor Society members - to preview new ships and programs and share their opinions if, when and how they see fit. They are responsible for their own travel arrangements and expenses, which are not paid by Royal Caribbean. Royal Champions do not receive any compensation for their participation nor do we influence what they share or how they participate in their online discussions.

We are gratified by the enthusiasm these Royal Champions have for cruising and our goal is to continue to incorporate their insights to continually improve the Royal Caribbean vacation experience for all of our guests.

Thank you Suzanne for being up front and open with us. It is much appreciated. :)

I do not see where this states that CC gave out email addresses of CC members???

Hey Terri:),

CC did not just give out our emails, they emailed us first, said we had been selected as RC's, asked us do we want to accept? and if yes they needed our permission to give RCCL our names and addresses. If we accepted we gave name and address to CC and they forwarded it to RCCL. Simple. CC asked our permission and we gave it to them, CC did nothing wrong. If they had just given RCCL our addresses without asking that would be another story but they didn't do that.

Thank you Suzanne for being up front and open with us. It is much appreciated. :)

It's the third time I've posted it on this thread but may have been missed as it's a fast moving thread:) Someone else had posted excerpts of it but this what we received from RCCL that describes the RC program. It seems pretty clear to me.

I have put in my 2 cents here wondering about CC and their practice of contacting mbrs for RC.

However trying to put all this in perspective I was thinking tonight that I have been given a gift from CC that no one can ever take away.

The gift could never be surpassed by any perk or any type of recognition or title.

That gift is the opportunity to meet some wonderful people through these boards. Friendships that have blossomed with each posting and cruises.

We had our 4th Arizona Get Together last night and not one person would have been involved in my life if it was not for CC. What I have learned about cruising is an added benefit.

I have never had a problem with RCs or anyone with a title in their signature but I bet the vast majority would agree that it means little compared to the frienships they have also made.

I have questions still for CC and RCCL and hopefully we will know the answers soon. I just wanted to express my gratitude tonight that these boards exist and that I want this resolved quickly.

Maybe out of this issue will come a realization that there needs to be more constructive means of open dialogue between CC and its members. It is never going to be perfect here but we all play a role in making it what it is.

Laura

I have put in my 2 cents here wondering about CC and their practice of contacting mbrs for RC.

However trying to put all this in perspective I was thinking tonight that I have been given a gift from CC that no one can ever take away.

The gift could never be surpassed by any perk or any type of recognition or title.

That gift is the opportunity to meet some wonderful people through these boards. Friendships that have blossomed with each posting and cruises.

We had our 4th Arizona Get Together last night and not one person would have been involved in my life if it was not for CC. What I have learned about cruising is an added benefit.

I have never had a problem with RCs or anyone with a title in their signature but I bet the vast majority would agree that it means little compared to the frienships they have also made.

I have questions still for CC and RCCL and hopefully we will know the answers soon. I just wanted to express my gratitude tonight that these boards exist and that I want this resolved quickly.

Maybe out of this issue will come a realization that there needs to be more constructive means of open dialogue between CC and its members. It is never going to be perfect here but we all play a role in making it what it is.

Laura

Laura............it was wonderful meeting you last evening at the Arizona CC function.

We talked about the RC's and CC and you know where I stand on this issue. I'm waiting on Royal Caribbean to give us all some answers here, and until that happens, all of the dart throwing is meaningless.

Even when I said what was on my mind this evening......two people took part of my sentence out of context.............for their own benefit.

That is a pretty poor excuse, and once again slamming me.

I also enjoy Cruise Critic.......and would not have met Laura, and some of the other members last evening if CC were not around.

Nor would I have met jc.......Paul.......oh, boy...I'm not going to start a list of all of the wonderful people that I have met by going to the M&M programs put on by RCL..........most of whom are not RC"s.

We are all here for a common cause..........we enjoy cruising for our vacations. We did not pick to be RC's.........we were picked.

I'm the first to say..........that if the program is totally flawed........I'm out.

I will continue to cruise and praise....when I see fit, the Royal Caribbean product. They have treated us well, and when asked.........we will continue to give our honest opinions.......which, to date are positive.

Good night.

Rick

Laura

Laura,

This is an excellent post and I agree with you about the wonderful people we have met from CC. I still remain very close to many that I sailed with in 2007 and since then several of us have sailed together many times and if it was not for CC we would never have met. CC is a valuable source of information as well and more often then not I learn of changes or news of RCCL on CC long before I do from RCCL:)

CC asked my permission first before giving my name and address to RCCL. I do not have a problem with that at all because they did ask me first. It was up to me to say yes or not so I really can not fault them at all but I do understand that people do have questions about how we were contacted and I agree hopefully something constructive comes out of all the posts on this thread.

As someone who's semi-retired from working in advertising/public relations, I find this whole idea fascinating. I had been assuming "Royal Champions" was just one of those cutsy group names.

After finding out on the Princess board about this whole controversy, I decided to look up what exactly is "viral marketing" and went to everyone's favorite source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viral_marketing

Scroll down to "notable examples" for a fun fact.

After finding out on the Princess board about this whole controversy' date=' I decided to look up what exactly is "viral marketing" and went to everyone's favorite source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viral_marketing

Scroll down to "notable examples" for a fun fact.[/quote']

Which one in particular are you looking at? Let me just say here and now, though, that the BMW films were awesome.

As to articles being posted...

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=64050869.blog#uslPageReturn

It's not so much the article but the comments underneath. Thanks to the inept handling of this scheme all cruise forums are going to be tarred with the same brush and that is absolutely unfair. I am pleased that at least one other forum owner has said that action would be taken if members acted like this and that no cruise line would be allowed to use their forum like RCI has here.

Bending or breaking the rules just to stay 'in' with a cruise line is wrong. This episode has shown the real danger of being too cosy with cruise lines. It starts off with little things like meetings on board the ships but can soon escalate into a cruise line driven site, a case of 'must not upset the sponsor/advertiser cos they might up and leave us'. We do not have any ties with any cruise line and to me that is the best way to be, it means that we are not beholden to anyone and we can be free in our opinions and we don't have to tug the proverbial forlock and make sure we don't upset the balance.

Hopefully today we'll have that much needed statement !!

They just emailed this to RC's a few days ago. I do not know if all RC's received it or just those that were selected in Sept. 2008 but I do not think we'll hear anything else from RCCL. However it appears the media and other websites are far from done reporting the story.

I'm glad to know that CC got members permission before forwarding names to RCI.

I find the explanations intriguing though.

RCI got names from a third party. So they had a company read these boards in search of "champions". They chose those 50 people from that list.

It's been pointed out that prior to this club being formed those 50 people gave their insights into RCI and its product. Anyone who thinks those 50 people weren't RCI cheerleaders to begin with, raise your hand.;)

The intriguing part is that RCI felt the need to form this club to begin with. I don't think it had much to do with the original 50. RCI had them in their corner anyway. It had to do with those who wanted to be part of it. So maybe they began to write nothing but glowing reports of RCI, in order to get chosen. Maybe they embellished what happened on their cruises? Did they start listing numerous upcoming cruises on their sig lines, even if they hadn't booked them, for effect?

We've all seen what happens to posters who dare to criticize RCI.

I think RCI will probably keep this club going. They wouldn't want to tick off all those loyalists, now would they?

I do however think, in the view of what has happened, that Champions should have to identify themselves. It will then be up to fellow members whether to take whatever comments they make with a grain of salt.

JJ...I honestly cannot see a statement coming from RCI over this. They have had a week to step up to the plate and admit they misjudged things and to apologise for the anger, mistrust and hurt caused. If this sort of behaviour was not wanted, they would have come out and said so by now, matey. They have systematically entered agreements with CC owners, on the basis of a corporate backscratch - we advertise and give you M&M's and in return you bend the rules for us. If they stepped up to the plate and admitted that, hell they would lose guests in their droves, and rightly so.

Anyway, as far as I can see, the staff here cannot speak their own minds without fear of rebuke as per Mike last night and that is really sad. Be staff, yes, but don't let go of your impartiality or your own minds for the sake of the company line. I would never ever do that to my staff, they have a voice and they are not afraid to use it.

Ally i understand what you are say - but i do believe CC and RCI will come out with some kind of statement - i agree that some of the Mods have been hinting that they can't speak freely on this issue.

If CC and RCI don't issue a statement on this sorry mess its going to FESTER !!

Do the RIGHT THINK !! RCI + CC and lets draw a line under this sorry mess !!!

jj.........

http://blogs.courant.com/travel_columnists_leblanc/2009/03/viral-marketing-and-crowd-sour.html

So what happens if online commenters, presumed by the rest of us to be honestly expressing their opinions without fear or favor, are actually being rewarded for expressing only positive opinions? Will they end up competing to be recognized as "champions" so they'll get free trips or drinks or whatever? I think they will.

Food for thought !!

jj......

Archived