How does one get to work for Carnival?

veryhotred

Not sure what he wants..some kind of staff position that could eventually work up to CD

In that case - visit http://www.carnivalentertainment.com - There are a lot of US citizens in the entertainment dept, just remember, its a lot of work working on a cruise ship

Simon

Not the best but like I said, he thinks it would be a fun, exciting job

The following info is for entertainment or cruise staff only...

I applied to work for carnival through carnival directly... you can now do it on their entertainment website www.carnivalentertainment.com

To apply for other cruiselines, I went through www.sixthstar.com I know sixth star work for Princess (P&O) & NCL

And what happened? Are you working for Carnival? If not, did you interview?

Wow you guys sure are giving me a lot of good info to pass along..I will have to have him sign up and read all this :)

Thanks esp for the stories of actual people working on the ships...it sounds though as Americans have no chance?

Americans have just as much chance as anyone else. What everyone here is saying is that not many want to, once they find out what the job involves.

One bit of advice if he does apply, it's really important to convince Carnival that you're going to commit to staying on through the full length of the employment contract. Most Americans take for granted that you can quit a job any time you feel like it. Two weeks notice is about all we ever give, and assume that's all we're obligated to. But if you quit in the middle of a tour of duty on a ship, it pretty much makes life that much harder for all the other crew members that have to take up the slack.

Americans have just as much chance as anyone else. What everyone here is saying is that not many want to, once they find out what the job involves.

One bit of advice if he does apply, it's really important to convince Carnival that you're going to commit to staying on through the full length of the employment contract. Most Americans take for granted that you can quit a job any time you feel like it. Two weeks notice is about all we ever give, and assume that's all we're obligated to. But if you quit in the middle of a tour of duty on a ship, it pretty much makes life that much harder for all the other crew members that have to take up the slack.

Aww, good point!!

Another option is working at the ports as a port agent or check in person etc. I have a friend who works weekends for Carnival in Port Canaveral. She checks people in for their cruises, gives them their pass cards etc. That way she gets some perks (free and discounted cruises) but still works close to home and can go home to her family each night.

Just another option to throw out there.

My daughter attends Southern Utah University and Carnival actually goes there and recruits for the Alaska season. She is thinking about signing up for the Childrens program even though she is a biology/spanish major. She does have a lot of experience working with children. She loves cruising and wants to see more of the world. I think this will be a good fit for her before she is off to grad school.

The following info is for entertainment or cruise staff only...

I applied to work for carnival through carnival directly... you can now do it on their entertainment website www.carnivalentertainment.com

To apply for other cruiselines, I went through www.sixthstar.com I know sixth star work for Princess (P&O) & NCL

And what happened? Are you working for Carnival? If not, did you interview?

I applied through carnival.com (before you could apply on carnivalentertainment.com) and sent them my CV... I never had an interview but they did check references I put on my CV. It may depend on where you live and if they are needing someone straight away.

If you are US citizen it is slightly easier (and you will be taxed), if you are non-US you need a US working visa (class C1-D seamans transit visa). You also need a medical, both medical & visa (if required) are at your own cost.

Does anyone know where to apply for the customer service workers at the ports? I live in San Diego and would like to do the check in work at the port here. It's a part time job and would be perferct. I have looked on Carnival website but haven't seen anything before. Are they hired by the port authority or Carnival? Any help is appreciated!!:D

How come it is harder for Americans to get a job working on a cruise ship? Or is it they just prefer not to hire Americans? The CD and asst CD on my last cruise were both from the US btw..

I spoke to an Officer from Windstar. He said that since Carnival is foreign based they cannot work for them. Not sure why. But I believe they do not hire Americans because of how many hours and wages that people from other countries are willing to work for. But the CD and other various positions are possible.

Does anyone know where to apply for the customer service workers at the ports? I live in San Diego and would like to do the check in work at the port here. It's a part time job and would be perferct. I have looked on Carnival website but haven't seen anything before. Are they hired by the port authority or Carnival? Any help is appreciated!!:D

Embarkation staff & check in people I don't know about i'm afraid, you could always try going to the port (or as close as they let you) and ask..?

Archived