How does one get to work for Carnival?

veryhotred

Anyone here ever worked/working for Carnival or applied to Carnival? How did it turn out? Or if you are working, do you have any tips? I know someone who wants to work for Carnival and wants to get some information and I knew exactly where to come, here :) So any tips???

I work with an American guy who once was hired to fill in over Christmas as a child camp counselor. Not sure what line, though.

Fact is, very few Americans work on the cruise ships, with the exception of NCL's US-Flagged ships in Hawaii. Someone posted the link to James' blog earlier in this thread. He works on a ship for NCL-USA in Hawaii. We're headed to Hawaii with NCL next year - can't wait.

All of Carnival's fleet is foreign-flagged and staffed mostly with foreign workers. So you could get a job on land a lot easier than you could find one on a ship.

How come it is harder for Americans to get a job working on a cruise ship? Or is it they just prefer not to hire Americans? The CD and asst CD on my last cruise were both from the US btw..

Probably because Americans expect a hire pay rate/hr.

A room steward with 8 rooms for a 7-day cruise (they often have more rooms than that) would make close to $14,000 US per 8 month contract if you follow the $3.50 per day most lines recommend for the room steward based on double occupancy. That's not counting their $1.50 a day pay from the line or the dollar value of free room and board.

The low pay (by US standards) is one reason why you don't see many Americans working on board. That said, we usually tip our room steward above the recommended amount because IMO, that's the REAL dirty work on a ship.

All in all, it's not great money, but in their home countries it's above average income. Way above average in some cases.

O yeah, sharing a 100 square foot cabin, working 14 hour days. Sounds exciting to me.

not everybody is applying to be a room steward or dishwasher. seriously.

a quick search on google for 'cruise ship salary' or something along those lines will provide insight to the fact that everybody doesn't make 1.50 a day.

and staff such as cruise directors, acds, managers, entertainment staff, musicians and the like definitely command higher salaries. and tack on the lack of housing expenses, utilities, car payments, etc. with the added benefit of travelling for free...

don't be so pessimistic. it's a good fit for some people.

Anyone here ever worked/working for Carnival or applied to Carnival? How did it turn out? Or if you are working, do you have any tips? I know someone who wants to work for Carnival and wants to get some information and I knew exactly where to come, here :) So any tips???
What type of position is your friend qualified for ? What position do they want ?

I guess the perks of traveling might make it worth it? The lifestyle could be exciting!!

They have to rotate who gets port days off work. Most of the crew we've spoken with on our 7 day cruises get one port day off. And then end up working a very long day as their normal work day...we're talking like 12-14 hours. Their food is NOT what we're served by ANY stretch of the imagination.

a quick search on google for 'cruise ship salary' or something along those lines will provide insight to the fact that everybody doesn't make 1.50 a day.

and staff such as cruise directors, acds, managers, entertainment staff, musicians and the like definitely command higher salaries. and tack on the lack of housing expenses, utilities, car payments, etc. with the added benefit of travelling for free...

Exactly! :) If it were me, I would rather have a job I love and receive less pay than a job I hated for more pay...I think the traveling and getting to know people would be awesome and worth less pay

What type of position is your friend qualified for ? What position do they want ?

Not sure what he wants..some kind of staff position that could eventually work up to CD

A friend of mine is a child coordintor for NCL.

Here's her room for 6 months.

[ATTACH]109189[/ATTACH]

Not the best but like I said, he thinks it would be a fun, exciting job

A friend of mine is a child coordintor for NCL.

Here's her room for 6 months.

[ATTACH]109189[/ATTACH]

AGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH! No way!!! I am not claustrophobic but that is T-I-G-H-T!!! I thought briefly about applying as a nurse onboard after my last divorce but ultimately decided I didn't want to be away from my kids for that long. If you're single though and can do some of the upper level jobs, it might not be a bad gig as long as the rooms were bigger than the one noted here!!!

My daughter is from UK where I would guess salaries are pretty similar to US and she is at present on her 2nd contract on a Carnival ship, the Splendor....She loves the life even tho the cabins are tiny lol.... There isn't a lot of time spent in it I don't think!

She has seen places she would probably never see were she not doing the cruise work. She is at present finishing the South America trip and has loved the sights and tours. Plenty of kids her age from UK go off travelling for a year or so and run up quite a lot of debt doing it, this way she gets to travel, meet new friends and see places while earning money at the same time.....

She is already talking of her next contract so I guess she won't be home too long before the off again. When I speak to her I realise the good things far outweigh the few not so good bits (small cabin, long working hours )

The only down side is for me! I dont get to see much of her so I tell my husband we have to go cruise more often lol...

I say if you fancy it go for it, I can think of a lot worse ways of earning money than cruising round beautiful places in the atmosphere of a Carnival ship!!!

How come it is harder for Americans to get a job working on a cruise ship? Or is it they just prefer not to hire Americans? The CD and asst CD on my last cruise were both from the US btw..

If they hired Americans, they'd have to pay them minimum wage, overtime and other costs involved with our labor laws......such as working hours, etc....and would have to pay payroll taxes on their salaries; social security, unemployment tax, etc.

That's why ships are foreign flagged and why most employees are from overseas.

Other than below decks crew, maintenance, bartenders, waitstaff and others, most are not employees but sub-contractors who work on contract with must be renewed periodically.

Gift shops and other vendors onboard aren't employees either. They are outside vendors who enter into a contract with the cruise line to have shops, stores and concessions onboard. They are paid by the company they work for.

This information and more can be found on Carnival's website under employment.

Wow you guys sure are giving me a lot of good info to pass along..I will have to have him sign up and read all this :)

Thanks esp for the stories of actual people working on the ships...it sounds though as Americans have no chance?

They have to like very long hours for small pay, and waiting on people who will treat them like personal slaves. Oh and don't forget the cheapskates who will remove auto-tips for no reason. Sounds like fun where do I sign up?:rolleyes:

I agree if I was young and just starting out I would take an 8 month contract, especially in todays job marklet. Would be good for some of the young people I know that get everything handed to them to learn what real work is. JMO

Archived