Sick Sickness

Morning all, I have read on a few threads that the sea can be a little bit choppy, do we need to take a supply of travel pills. My hubby is really sea sick :eek::eek: and up to now has only been affected on the Bay of Biscay.

I would rather be pre-prepared if anyone can give any advice.

Thanks for your help. :)

I'm not a good traveller (car sick if I try to read a map) but have always been fine - even in a Force 9 - as long as I take Stugeron (available over the counter at Boots etc.) The key, in my case though is to take the medication as a preventative e.g. if there is a hint of roughish seas or if I begin to detect a bit more movement than usual. I believe these are the pills which are available from Reception if you are sea sick. There are contra-indications for those with certain medical conditions or on specific medication in which case you would be advised to ask your GP and of course read the instructions carefully. They do make me a little sleepy - but as it's usually evening when we set sail that I take them (just one pill - two if you're already ill though!) I can manage a glass of wine with my dinner without any ill effects and can stay up as long as I want to without a problem. There's always the possibility of having the injection from the ship's Doctor if things are really bad.

I hope your hubby finds something which suits him. I've only once been really ill when I hadn't taken the medication - otherwise I've never missed a meal!!! Don't know whether that merits a :D or a :eek: !!!

My friend was poorly on our sailing from Lisbon to Madeira and missed our first formal night which really annoyed her as she loves all the dressing up! A very kind fellow passenger gave me a Stugeron for her which worked wonders. She bought some for herself in Madeira (although the first chemist they tried hadn't got any in stock) and was fine across the Atlantic. She says she'll never sail without them again.

Carol x

I wasnt ill when we went but my parents were , we were told to give them ginger ale to sip to help with the sickness, They took stugeron the second day but I found that wearing a motion sick band worked and didnt stop me from drinking. I did take 1 pill the morning after my folks were bad as a just incase because we had a second day all at sea and it was very rough, but found it was fine.. someone said once you get over the first couple of days should be fine. Hope your hubby is OK,

Archived