CB....Paperback exchange?

Ali70

I always like to make sure I've got plenty of books for my at sea days and after being on other cruise lines I've always thought the paperback exchange was a great idea. I'm cruising for the first time with Princess in May and I was just wondering if the CB has a paperback exchange?

I always like to make sure I've got plenty of books for my at sea days and after being on other cruise lines I've always thought the paperback exchange was a great idea. I'm cruising for the first time with Princess in May and I was just wondering if the CB has a paperback exchange?

I don't know if they have an actual "exchange", but what I've always done is given my paperbacks to my cabin steward at the end of the cruise to share with the rest of the crew or I just donate them to the ship's library.

There is a section in the library for you to drop your paperbacks and select others that have been left by passengers. No formal exchange. Just help yourself.

On every Princess ship I've been on, there's been either a bookshelf or open cabinet where passengers can drop off books they've read or pick up a book or two. I've also found that the library usually has a pretty good selection of books.

On the CB, it's on the window sill area above the desk in the library. It's not a very large area, only about 2-3 feet long, and at least on our cruise, there were just as many hardcover books as paperbacks on this "shelf".

If you are in the habit of leaving books behind, you should check out the www.bookcrossing.com website, where you can register and label your books, and then future readers can journal them so you can track their travels. Bookcrossing is my favorite hobby (after cruising, of course) and a book I left on the CB last August eventually ended up in the library of another cruiseline sailing in Asia and was picked up and brought to England by a British passenger! I was so excited when I saw that journal entry online!!!

My DH brings tons of books with us (well, not tons, but you get the picture, he loves to sit on the balcony during the day and read while listening to the ocean). He always leaves the books he finished in the library for the exchange, on every ship.

Heck, once I was reading a newly released novel and was almost finished with it. Month long cruise so half way through many had run out of reading material. It had not been sold yet in the UK, and a couple saw me reading it. They asked what I was going to do with it when I finished, and I told them I was leaving it behind. They gave me their cabin number and asked very nicely if I could maybe drop it off when finished as they were just waiting for it to come out across the pond. I did just that, left it on their door handle in a bag. The next day, they in turn left a nice little surprise hanging on my door handle as a thank you. :)

On the CB, it's on the window sill area above the desk in the library. It's not a very large area, only about 2-3 feet long, and at least on our cruise, there were just as many hardcover books as paperbacks on this "shelf".

If you are in the habit of leaving books behind, you should check out the www.bookcrossing.com website, where you can register and label your books, and then future readers can journal them so you can track their travels. Bookcrossing is my favorite hobby (after cruising, of course) and a book I left on the CB last August eventually ended up in the library of another cruiseline sailing in Asia and was picked up and brought to England by a British passenger! I was so excited when I saw that journal entry online!!!

What a fun idea! I"m going to go register a few paperbacks right now.

Thanks for sharing :)

Cheryl

I always leave my leftover books in the library with a post-it note. However, I never use the books in the library because I don't want to pick up anything like norovirus.

Usually, the cabin steward are not book readers. But your wait staff or your buffet staff may be readers especially if they are from European countries. On cruises 10 days or longer, we casually ask whether they need new paperback fiction. Some of the crew are hungry for recent paper backs which then goes to the crew library. Otherwise, I leave them in the ship's library.

Archived