Cheaper option for land tours

cocos

We've reserved a 7-day cruise on Rydam, July 24th, Anchorage to Vancouver, we visit Juneau, Sitka, Skagway and Ketchikan.

I'm stunned with the astronomic prices of the land tours HAL offers in its web page (and we're 7 in the group onboard).

Do you know if it's posible to buy excursions in each port where you desembark? I supose they're cheaper!

Do you know if it's posible to buy excursions in each port where you desembark? I supose they're cheaper!
Yes, it's possible to book independent tours in every port. I suggest you do some reading on the Ports of Call/Alaska forum. But research carefully: in Sep 07 we "saved a few bucks" by booking a Dolly Varden tour in Ketchikan to the Saxman Village and it was terrible (when we compared notes with pax who took the comparable HAL tour.) We wrote to Dolly Varden with a complaint and never got any reply.

Most of the Alaskan ports are easy to do on your own. Go to the Alaska site on CC and you can get good information. Also, read every thing you can find and decide what is important. Also, some ports have city buses which makes it possible to get to all parts of town. We have done four Alaskan cruises and one cruise/tour and we love exploring the ports!

If you're looking for a really great excursion, you should make reservations before you leave home, sometimes several months before. There is a really great excursion in Sitka, kind of pricey but worth it. I don't think (per CC rules) I can tell you about it here, but in the Alaska thread I have written about it. You can search for all posts by me to find it. It was in the past three months or so.

There are others, like the Lumberjack Show, or the Tour of the Deadliest Catch Boat, both in Ketchikan, that you may be able to book when you get there. If there is something you really want to see, make reservations. You could take taxis to some places and see things a lot cheaper than a ship's cruise. With 7 people, you could rent a van & driver for the day to take you all to nearby places. The van usually has a set price, split between seven, it wouldn't cost so much.

Definitely check out the Alaska thread for much more information.

In Juneau it is really easy to rent a car (we used rent-a-wreck). They pick you up in town. We were able to drive out to Mendenhall Glacier, the Alaska Brewery, etc. Shared this car with another couple and it made sightseeing a whole day in Juneau much less expensive! Also, check out Budget Queen's posts on the Alaska board. She is a wealth of reliable info. Laurie

As suggested, have a read over on the Alaska board. But yes, prices in Alaska for tours ARE high, whether you use the ship shorex, or find independent operators. The independents are not usually substantially cheaper, but can offer more personalized tours, with fewer other participants.

With 7 in your group, you may want to consider some self-guided touring along with one or two organized shore excursions.

We booked most of our Alaska excursions through HAL... We were terrified of the ship leaving without us... On one of the excursions we booked ourselves, we actually ended up being with those who had booked the HAL excursion having coughed up substantially more. After that trip, we decided to try and book excursions direct with providers. If you have time, big savings can be found by researching in advance, or simply deciding what to do on arrival in each place.

:D:D:D

The ports in SE Alaska are small places, some very small. IF there are 2 or 3 ships in port that day, most if no all of the top tour guides and buses will be used by the cruise ships. In many cases, but not all, the operators selling tours on the pier are the left overs. (Note - I said in many cases, NOT ALL! Some simply want to do their own thing and not work for a large tour company.

If you want your own tour/guide I suggest you arrange for the tours AHEAD of the cruise, using companies/guides recommended by others from their personal experience.

Shorex rates in Alaska are a little cheaper if you book direct with the providers...but...there is not the competition between providers that you find elsewhere such as the Caribbean or Mexico so prices are high.

You can save money if you follow the advice here and do your research well in advance of your cruise and book early. July is peak season so don't expect great savings...but you will find some.

Here's a tip if you are planning to book direct any helicopter/flightseeing tours. Don't let the helicopter people know that you are arriving on the cruise ship. Some of them won't even talk to you if they know you are with the ship because of contracts they have in place. I didn't know that and tried to book with one. When asked what hotel I was staying in, I gave the ship name. The woman told me to book through the cruise line because she couldn't book me.

I didn't understand that since it was the exact same tour but $50 pp more booking through the cruiseline.

Everyone, Thanks for all your advice. I and my other half are sailing on the Rhyndam June 5 and we too are looking for some good deals. We are a little hesitant about booking independently for fear we will miss the ship.

I also encountered a tour co. that was offering a $75 savings but when I mentioned HAL she said book through them. Of course, the tour was leaving at 7:30 and the boat docked at 7:00. I guess it would be cutting it a little close for comfort. If I don't book soon I'm worried we will loose out.

Randi

I would go with Capt Davey on the Esther G. This is a fantastic trip. Just go to the Alaska board and do a search for puffins and whales.

I am amazed at the number of people who have gone on Capt Davey's tour. This is the excursion that I hinted at earlier in the thread. It's well worth the price.

In Juneau we took the Blue Bus out to Mendenhall Glacier -- it is about $7 per person each way. It is $3 per person to get into the visitors center.

You can spend as much time out there as you want -- walk the trails, etc. No time limit like on HAL's tours.

You might want to go to a store to buy some water and snacks -- there are none out there.

Archived