Baltic on Spirit. First time cruiser questions.

Hello

Ive looked through the forum and found some great advice but just got a couple exxtra questions.

1. I havent received any info on times to be at Newcastle for leaving/baggage info etc. We go in May will we get an info pack or anything?

2. Do you have to check in to ship a coupe hours before? What happens to luggage - do you keep it or goes somewhere to be checked/scanned.

3. Think we are in a standard cabin deck 1 or 2? Is it worth upgrading - not sure how much it would cost. I guess we wont spend much time in cabin as out most days etc.

4. Can you take any liquids on the ship with you, e.g bottle water or a fizzy drink? we wont be taking alot, just wondering?

5. Is there any places where you can buy a snack to take to you cabin or coffee you could collect and take back in the morning?

6. Im guessing all towels are provided?

7. I keep seeing info re straighteners or hairdresser not working? I use straighteners is there anything I need to do?

8. Going from Newcastle is it free to park? do I need to book?

Think thats it for now! sorry for all this!.

Thanks for you help.xx:eek:

Hello

Ive looked through the forum and found some great advice but just got a couple exxtra questions.

1. I havent received any info on times to be at Newcastle for leaving/baggage info etc. We go in May will we get an info pack or anything?

2. Do you have to check in to ship a coupe hours before? What happens to luggage - do you keep it or goes somewhere to be checked/scanned.

3. Think we are in a standard cabin deck 1 or 2? Is it worth upgrading - not sure how much it would cost. I guess we wont spend much time in cabin as out most days etc.

4. Can you take any liquids on the ship with you, e.g bottle water or a fizzy drink? we wont be taking alot, just wondering?

5. Is there any places where you can buy a snack to take to you cabin or coffee you could collect and take back in the morning?

6. Im guessing all towels are provided?

7. I keep seeing info re straighteners or hairdresser not working? I use straighteners is there anything I need to do?

8. Going from Newcastle is it free to park? do I need to book?

Think thats it for now! sorry for all this!.

Thanks for you help.xx:eek:

Hi

I can help with some of your worries, but not all.

We've not cruised straight from Uk before but would love to. No hassle with the getting to airport and flying.

You normally get all your final paperwork about 2 weeks before you go. That will have all your stuff in and information leaflets.

You need to check in between 2 to 4 pm approx, but I would go earlier rather than later and before 2.

You can take bottles of water and pop on with you no problem.

they have a 24 hour buffet on board and on the Island Escape we had no problems with taking food and drink down to our cabins and lots more did too.

Especially early morning cup of tea. I got from the buffet and down in the lift. Just don't fill it too much. You shouldn't need to buy food at all.

I used to go up for the afternoon tea and bring cakes etc. down to the wife in the cabin.

The only advantage of a higher deck is that you are closer to all the amenities. Also if you are lower down and not a good sailor, the lower decks are more stable. And apart from crashing out in thee after a tiring excursion, the only time we were in it was to get ready for the evening and sleep.

Towels are provided.

Can't help with the parking or the hair straighteners, wife's naturally curly and we never take the car.

I would think the port is a bit like airport parking and you'd need to book, but others might help you there or you could Google the port of Newcastle and see.

THe main thing is do not get :eek:, relax and enjoy your cruise :)

Berwyn and Delyth

Last question I promise!

9. When the ship leaves the port each day it has a time e.g 4pm. Do you have to be on board an hour or so before? Do they clock you on and off? Could you get left behind?

Thanks.x

Hi Helen,

You have to be back on board at least half an hour before the ship sails. But they let you know the time it goes.

If you go on an excursion organised through the ship they have to wait for you. But if you go on your own it is up to you to be back on time.

Yes they will go without you in that case.

It says in The brochure page 35 Free Parking at the Port but you have to organise it at time of booking. If you've booked perhaps you can ring them or see your travel agent

Have alook here it gives you times of arriving and departure and info on the ports

http://www.thomsonbeach.co.uk/th/cruise/viewHolidayDetails.do?holidayId=W/029149&brochureId=TH39&date=23/05/09&searchCount=1

Berwyn

Hello there,

Oops! Message got sent before I'd even started!!

But I can now see that Berwyn & Delyth have done a detailed reply so I'll read through that and see if there's anything I can add.

Thanks, we've never sailed from home so it's a bit different

Berwyn

Yes, you should get all the embarkation details in your ticket booklet.

Parking is very straight-forward. We've always booked in advance, usually at the time of booking but I'm sure you will be able to arrange that through Thomson if you phone their after-sales number (or through your T.A.). Check the details of your booking first though - sometimes parking is offered as a freebie or half-price if you book early enough. You don't want to ring up to pay for it if you don't need to!!!!

Embarkation is usually between 2 - 4 but in our experience, they've often allowed you to park soon after 12.30 and will 'process' you as quickly as they can to avoid too many 'bottle necks' at around 2pm onwards.

There is a good out of town retail centre close to the Port of Tyne (in sight of the ship) so you can park there (free) and have something to eat or drink if you are too early.

As you arrive at the car park, (a secure compound for your cruise passengers only) Thomson personnel will give you some boarding information. It will contain your blue card (like a credit card with your cabin number on it which you use for all on-board purchases) and some sticky labels with your cabin number. You stick these onto your case, hand your cases to the port staff and the next time you will see them is when they are delivered outside your cabin door. (You keep your hand luggage with you in which you should put all your valuables/money/passport/tickets etc.). You then park your car in the compound.

Then, you proceed to the ship - I think we had shuttle buses as although the car park wasn't far, it was a bit of a walk especially if you're not too mobile or carrying a fair bit of hand luggage.

When you arrive dockside, they register your credit card, take your photo so that your blue card is activated and they can use it for identification purposes each time you leave or return to the ship.

Some people take those insulated travel mugs on board so they can fetch hot drinks from the Lido restaurant and take them back to their cabin - good idea! It keeps the drinks hot and is safe in case the ship's swaying about a bit :eek:.

We find the cabins on deck 1/2 are fine - there is no difference between these and the basic cabins higher up. I prefer to be lower down as the previous poster says, it's more stable there.

As I remember, the outlet on the Celebration is a European type (2-pin round), so you will need an adapter. My hair tongs work fine - but you will have to check your appliances work on 110 - 240V. (we also take a 4-way extension so that we can charge camera and phone batteries at the same time.)

You are required to be back on board 30 minutes before departure time - be sure you are - they have been known to sail without passengers!!!! :eek:

Hope that covers everything - have a great trip. :D We love the Baltic cruise so much we've done it 3 times (twice on Celebration, once on Spirit.)

Thanks guys, that really helps.

I was in travel agents today and enquired about drinks package as said none available when I booked, she is ringing me back as she wasnt sure any available?

This forum is really helping.xxxx

If you've got the brochure it says about all inclusive and boarding the ship at the bottom of page 228 on the left side.

You mentioned cabin before in 1st post. It should say some where on paperwork what cabin you have.or the T.A. should have told you.

I don't think Thomson ever offer AI on their sailings out of the UK - I don't really know why but was once told it had something to do with sailing in and out of UK waters but that may or may not be true. I have never seen AI offered though on ex-UK sailings and we've done 5 with Thomson. (3 Baltic, 1 Norway and 1 around the UK.)

Hope that covers everything - have a great trip. :D We love the Baltic cruise so much we've done it 3 times (twice on Celebration, once on Spirit.)

Thank you for all that info, even though we're not going on it :(

We Definitely want to do one from home next time after December one with our sons.

We only ended up with RCCL in June as when Thomsons took over Island Cruises completely they sold off our ship and booked cruise :eek::(.

Otherwise we'd have been going next month, but RCCL was nearest itinerary we could get to match.

I don't think Thomson ever offer AI on their sailings out of the UK - I don't really know why but was once told it had something to do with sailing in and out of UK waters but that may or may not be true. I have never seen AI offered though on ex-UK sailings and we've done 5 with Thomson. (3 Baltic, 1 Norway and 1 around the UK.)

It's afunny business, as they offer it on the 2 cruises to Spain from Uk that end up in the Balearics.

That's why we're doing the Escape again in Dec with the lads. I couldn't afford their bar bills for the Stella!! :D (or mine for the red wine) otherwise.

It's afunny business, as they offer it on the 2 cruises to Spain from Uk that end up in the Balearics.

That's why we're doing the Escape again in Dec with the lads. I couldn't afford their bar bills for the Stella!! :D (or mine for the red wine) otherwise.

Thank goodness it's just me and hubby then!!! ;) Have a good trip on IE - but perhaps at sometime in the future, you'll get to go to St Petersburg - it's fab!!!!!! I can certainly recommend it.

Considering the whole cruise was A. I. we never saw anyone drunk all week.

Yes I missed St. Petersburg in 1970. I should have been on the schools educational cruise on the old S.S. Nevasa, but was taken ill just before and they wouldn't let me go.

I went to one a couple of years earlier to Norway, Denmark and Holland. And went in 1971 to the Med instead on her.

We love Dorset, we did Weymouth 3 years running when the children were small and last year went back and stayed in Yeovil so the wife could go to Glastonbury and also so we could go back to Dorchester and Weymouth.

If you've got the brochure it says about all inclusive and boarding the ship at the bottom of page 228 on the left side.

You mentioned cabin before in 1st post. It should say some where on paperwork what cabin you have.or the T.A. should have told you.

Hia, I will look in brochure tonight thanks.

I looked on paperwork and cant see cabin number anywhwere. We will soon see.

xx

Hia, I will look in brochure tonight thanks.

I looked on paperwork and cant see cabin number anywhwere. We will soon see.

xx

Hi Helen,

I've just looked on our Thomsons paperwork for the Island Escape in Dec.

And on page 2 in the bit that says

Your Holiday Details it says Your Party Details and it should be there above your names

Berwyn

xx

Hi Berwyn and helenchickchick,

Hello again, I'm not sure whether this is a difference between IE and other Thomson ships, but I don't think you have a cabin number notified on your documentation when booking on Spirit, Celebration, Destiny. You will find out when you get to the port and are given your sticky labels for your case.

All you are likely to see on your documentation is 1/2 Inside, 3/4 Outside etc. i.e. category of cabin booked - not the specific cabin.

If you pre-book a cabin (you have to pay for this) then you can ask for a specific cabin in a particular area on Deck 1/2 or 3/4 or whatever cabin grade you've booked. When you ring up to book a specific cabin, you can say what cabin number you want and if it hasn't been pre-booked, you can have it - otherwise they'll offer you something nearby. If you go down this route, have a clear idea of where you want to be before you ring and have your deck plan in front of you so if you can't get the one you want, you can see where any cabins they suggest are located. :)

Hi,

Yes, we had pre booked ours on the I E. so know which one. But the paperwork is standard Thomsons paperwork now they have integrated Island Cruises in there and not any special one.

It's very odd that Helen's T.A. didn't tell her the cabin and deck when she booked.

Berwyn

Has helen pre-booked a cabin? If not, perhaps that's why no cabin number is shown. Oh dear - here we are trying to help and I'm getting more confused by the minute!!!! :confused: Mind, that's not too difficult!

It looks from what you say, Berwyn that IE really is now truly integrated into the Thomson brand. I'll be really interested to hear what you make of it when you next go - has it changed and in what way? It's in the Canaries next Winter - I'd like to know where they're putting the different ships for the 2010 summer season too. Some of their leases come to an end in 2010 so we could see quite a few changes - to say nothing whether the economic situation will influence how many/which ships they have.

P.S. Sorry to hear you missed St Petersburg - it must have been a very different place then - they've done so much in recent years to restore so many of the palaces. If you're planning a trip ex-UK, it would be a good one to go for - and just think how many cases you can take with no worries about excess baggage!! :D

Hia

No, we havent booked a cabin, it says 1/2 and think thats it.

It could be just be me and I cant see it though, I will have another look later.

Just been told that you should book excusions before you go - is this possible? as heard mixed reviews and heard someone say they couldnt get on the ones they want as full and should have booked? We were planning on waiting until we go on.

Also travel agent asked me to change some currency for each port - can you do that on the ship and swap what you dont need etc? is that easier? As havent got a clue what we need. Dont think it will be too much per place though? Any advise?xxx

Hia

No, we havent booked a cabin, it says 1/2 and think thats it.

It could be just be me and I cant see it though, I will have another look later.

Just been told that you should book excusions before you go - is this possible? as heard mixed reviews and heard someone say they couldnt get on the ones they want as full and should have booked? We were planning on waiting until we go on.

Also travel agent asked me to change some currency for each port - can you do that on the ship and swap what you dont need etc? is that easier? As havent got a clue what we need. Dont think it will be too much per place though? Any advise?xxx

Hi Helen,

Money

Funny enough I was in the travel agent asking about this at the beginning of the week. She said as you won't need cash on the ship as it's a cashless system to have between £50 to £100 per couple per port for incidentals ashore like coffes, snacks souveneirs.

After you visited the port if the next one's not in same country you could change any spare cash into what you need for the next one. But the exchange rate on ship is worse than banks.

Best thing to do is go to your T.A. or bank and tell them which countries you're visiting and they can give you the right stuff.

I know you'll need euros in germany butt I'm not sure which of the others is in the EEC.

Excursions.

You can see a list of excursions for each port on the thomsons website and prices. But do not know if you can book in advance online.

It did not look like it. That's another one for the T.A. or ring Thomsons

Last year we booked them all on the ship. But this time Royal Carribean do it different and I was able to book excursions online.

We're not going all the way to Egypt and missing out on the pyramids

Berwyn

Archived