"Hypothetically" ...

MikeNJ1109

Well it had to do with that little fella called Fidel Castro ;)

You know , the communist one .

It was designed to knock him out of power.

but I'm certain OB and Raul will have lunch soon .

A little history http://www.historyofcuba.com/history/funfacts/embargo.htm

It's just so inconsistent. We trade with other communist nations. I can think of at least one GIANT one, so I don't believe it has anything to do with ideology anymore. It just hurts the people and their families.

ok a couple of points

first let me say that the whole boycott is beyond idiotic at this point(IMO) and yes I have many years ago brought back over 100 Cuba cigars(I think), but let me tell you the rules. Its against the law for an American national(Citizen or permanent resident) to have in their possession any where in the world(not only the US) any Cuban product including cigars without a special license.

If you bring back cigars its up to you to PROVE where they are from and if you take the labels off you can't prove where they are from. If you change the labels you are committing an additional crime that IS likely to get you sent to jail if you get caught. The customs and border patrol people are trained in cigars and probably know better than you where they came from.

BTW I also know where to buy them in the US but I am not telling.

If you want to check on this there is an Office of Foreign asset control in the Treasury department that has a website on all this.

http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/cuba/cuba.shtml

as I said I have done this and I have a couple of suggestions...don't buy too many and don't charge them....

It's just so inconsistent. We trade with other communist nations. I can think of at least one GIANT one, so I don't believe it has anything to do with ideology anymore. It just hurts the people and their families.

I agree . Its just one of those little White House games,

As long as Fidel lives it stays in place ..

Remember the flood of people that flew there when Jimmy was in office , that didn't last long .

Not to worry , I have a feeling it may change very soon .

Key word being " change" :p

ok a couple of points

first let me say that the whole boycott is beyond idiotic at this point(IMO) and yes I have many years ago brought back over 100 Cuba cigars(I think), but let me tell you the rules. Its against the law for an American national(Citizen or permanent resident) to have in their possession any where in the world(not only the US) any Cuban product including cigars without a special license.

If you bring back cigars its up to you to PROVE where they are from and if you take the labels off you can't prove where they are from. If you change the labels you are committing an additional crime that IS likely to get you sent to jail if you get caught. The customs and border patrol people are trained in cigars and probably know better than you where they came from.

BTW I also know where to buy them in the US but I am not telling.

If you want to check on this there is an Office of Foreign asset control in the Treasury department that has a website on all this.

http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/cuba/cuba.shtml

as I said I have done this and I have a couple of suggestions...don't buy too many and don't charge them....

Very important point ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Question (a legitimate one): If I bring 10 legal cigars with me on my cruise, mostly Dominican (which I am), what's to stop them from confiscating any left when I return to the US claiming that they're Cuban? I don't want to lose some of my favorites because of some over zealous customs officer.

Most of the time it is not really a problem with many of the cigar stores at the ports selling bogus Cubans. They already changed the rings :D

Enough said!!

Why don't you ask for cuban rings and slap them on something here:rolleyes:

Think about it, when is the next time you'll be able to track down the guy that beat you. Not worth the aggravation.

I think the point is that they don't get confiscated very often. But if you are accused, you can be punished heftily.

As for your legal ones you bring with you - I would just keep the packaging and the receipts if you have any left at the end of your cruise show it to the customs person if a customs person even asks.

No cigar sniffing dogs yet. Many, many, many people do this on a daily basis. It just sucks to get caught. We represented a prominent South Beach Club Owner on similar charges.

Has anyone seen the movie "Midnight Express", a 1978 flick about a guy who got busted in Turkey with marijuana? True story. The lesson being that an isolated laps in good judgement can result in a lifetime of regret.

Has anyone seen the movie "Midnight Express", a 1978 flick about a guy who got busted in Turkey with marijuana? True story. The lesson being that an isolated laps in good judgement can result in a lifetime of regret.

the prison scenes mostly were shot in the Eastern states Penitentiary in Phily...I know the production designer for that movie...you can visit the jail when in Phily....

Question (a legitimate one): If I bring 10 legal cigars with me on my cruise, mostly Dominican (which I am), what's to stop them from confiscating any left when I return to the US claiming that they're Cuban? I don't want to lose some of my favorites because of some over zealous customs officer.

have the receipt from where you bought them. Most Customs people aren't going to bother with less than 10 any way...unless they want to bust your chops for something else....like your last name is madeoff...

the prison scenes mostly were shot in the Eastern states Penitentiary in Phily...I know the production designer for that movie...you can visit the jail when in Phily....

It is an outstanding movie. Makes you think before traveling outside the US.

Archived