Search on for missing passenger

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/11/26/missing.passeneger.ap/index.html

JACKSONVILLE, Florida (AP) -- A 54-year-old passenger vanished as a ship returned home from a five-day cruise to the Bahamas, and the Coast Guard launched a search.

A patrol boat and a helicopter crew searched more than 340 square miles of ocean Friday for Glen Sherridan of Richmond, Virginia. His wife reported him missing to officers of the cruise ship Celebration when she could not find him several hours after the ship docked Thursday.

The Coast Guard received a missing persons report soon after the ship's crew conducted a full search to make sure Sherridan wasn't still on board.

The wife said her husband was an early riser and might have fallen overboard as early as 4 a.m., Petty Officer Bobby Nash said. He said the ship then would have been about 13 miles off the Florida coast.

Nash said the Coast Guard would decide later Friday whether to continue the search, conducted by a patrol boat from Jacksonville and a helicopter crew from Savannah, Georgia.

The Carnival ship, which can carry nearly 1,500 passengers, left Jacksonville with a fresh load of Bahamas-bound passengers later Thursday.

Very sad story indeed. I always wonder though, how does a passenger on a cruise ship just "fall overboard"? My gut feeling always tells me there's much more to the story than we know. Foul play, suicide, maybe a hefty life insurance plan. Sure makes you wonder. 4_12_6.gif

"The wife said her husband was an early riser and might have fallen overboard as early as 4 a.m."

Hmm, wonder how she knew that? Kind of an odd statement, wouldn't you think? I think a normal statement would have been, " the last time I saw him was about mnidnight". Why did she suggest that he may have fallen over? I would have thought that he was in some other womans room, LOL.

He may have just jumped though, you never know.

"The wife said her husband was an early riser and might have fallen overboard as early as 4 a.m."

Hmm, wonder how she knew that? Kind of an odd statement, wouldn't you think? I think a normal statement would have been, " the last time I saw him was about mnidnight". Why did she suggest that he may have fallen over? I would have thought that he was in some other womans room, LOL.

I read the article either off of the AP or Rueters news wire and I agree, something didn't seem right about the story. Then again, they are just printed words and there is no way of determining the tone of her voice or any apparent emotion.

Don't read too much into her statement without knowing the context, especially since it's not a quote by her, just a second hand report.

My heart goes out to his family.

They just did a report on Good Morning America Saturday, in which they interviewed the wife. She pretty much said the same thing. To me (JMO) she didn't appear to be very upset or broken up about it. Now that means nothing as people express their emotions in different ways. Not sure what made the wife come to the immediate conclusion he had fallen overboard.

They also interviewed the Coast Gaurd. Carnival didn't notify the coast gaurd until 11:00 am. He had already been in the water 7 hours. Chance of survival after 20 hours is in possible. Which is why the called off the search. Also there were 5 foot waves, and a front that had passed around the time he would have fallen. Not sure what took Carnival so long to notify the coast gaurd except it took them a long time to actually verify he was not on the ship. Also no mention of how long it actually took the wife to realize he was missing. This is also the second time someone has fallen off this particular ship, they could have said 3 times, can't remember. They also mentioned other Carnival ships over the past couple of months in which people have fallen overboard. No mention if any of these were suicides or just falling over.

I read the article either off of the AP or Rueters news wire and I agree, something didn't seem right about the story. Then again, they are just printed words and there is no way of determining the tone of her voice or any apparent emotion.

She was on the local TV. Something just isn't right here. Although she appeared to be upset, it sure wasn't what one would expect. There was just no emotion. I am not a conspiracy theorist but any means, but this one just is a problem to me.

She was on the local TV. Something just isn't right here. Although she appeared to be upset, it sure wasn't what one would expect. There was just no emotion. I am not a conspiracy theorist but any means, but this one just is a problem to me.

I got the same feeling after seeing her interview. No emotion, and it's not sitting right with me either. Again could be we all show emotions differently, but I would have at least expected her to look as if she had been crying.

Actually, not to long ago, I heard a similiar story at a party. Mom and her young son were on a cruise.. So the son tells his mom he is going to play with SpongeBob.... she says OK, and continues to lay by the pool.... I guess the cartoons have SpongeBob in the water..(Dont know, kids are well past this age)

Anyway, he jumps off the ship into the water to play with SpongeBob. So I begin to wonder... I traveled with my boys when they were young, and was especailly observant of possible dangers to them walking the deck by themselves.... (ages 12 and 17) The ship is so high, I just had no fear of them falling overboard. I guess I questioned how a small boy could climb so high as to jump off the ship..... And I would also wonder this as to an eldery gentlemen.

I wouldn't judge anyone by how they APPEAR to handle a situation. My MIL is the definitive ice queen. My FIL died this past January and I know that it is hurting her, but she is stoic and unemotional to a fault. Her childhood was very abusive and she learned to bottle everything up. Sometimes, still waters run very deep.

On the other hand, my sister reacts very oddly to stress. My father had surgery recently and the Dr. came out to talk to us and what he said was unexpected and upsetting. My sister's reaction......she started laughing. Now, I know she didn't think it was funny, but emotions can be very peculiar.

Maybe the wife just doesn't want to believe her husband may have committed suicide. Maybe that would explain her odd behavior. Who knows? why not give her the benefit of the doubt. Some very good liars are quite believable, whereas some innocent people aren't very convincing.

Maybe the wife just doesn't want to believe her husband may have committed suicide. Maybe that would explain her odd behavior. Who knows? why not give her the benefit of the doubt. Some very good liars are quite believable, whereas some innocent people aren't very convincing.

How true! We all handle things in different ways... only this lady knows what she is feeling inside... assumptions can be dangerous things!

I've read many a story here on the boards about "why and how" people fall over board. Most of the time it is guys who don't feel they need to run to the men's room - over the side would just be easier. Most of the time they find the guys gone over board are "unzipped" if you know what I mean.

:rolleyes: Okay, I figured it out - he got off at the last port, she reported him missing and says he went overboard, she collects his life insurance (big policy!!) and joins him in the Caribbean somewhere.

How does that sound???

Soozin

Good thought, but each time you get back on board do they not make you swipe your card....she could have swiped both, but from my experience there is someone looking at your picture when you get back on...

Have not seen anything here in Canada about this, but her statement sounds fishy to me as well...and no emotion does not mean anything IMHO, as when my father passed away my mother did not cry...she cries alone...

But words speak volumes....look at Scott Peterson...not to get off track...but Lacy is missing, hmmm.....

Hopefully she didn't throw him overboard...and they find him.

Archived