Catching a boat to the Baths...NOT the ferry?

lmt0714

Does anyone know if there are independent boat operators on/near the ferry docks that will take people directly to the Baths? I read about it on this website http://www.cruisinbob.com/2008/04/tortola-port-tender-or-pier-side.html but he doesn't mention specifics. I've tried to get more info on line and haven't had any luck. We're willing to chance it and then take the ferry if we have to, but would like to know if anyone has had any experience or seen private boats waiting by the ferrys to take people over to the Baths. Thanks!

Edit: And I read about Patouche but we're not really looking for a tour, just a boat ride there and back on our own schedule.

He talks about taking a private boat directly onto the beach, well, unless it's a dingy that's not exactly right, the boats must tie up to a mooring bouy off shore, so it's either dingy in or swim in.

While you may find the occasional fool that will take a powerboat into the beach, I would not want to ride with him. One, he has no regard for people swimming and snorkeling off the beach there, and two, power boats are not allowed into the shore line there so what do you do if he get's pinched by the marine patrol?

If he does tow a dingy I doubt he could make the time that the ferry does.

Does he have enough safety equipment on board for everyone if he develops trouble?

Far too many if's for me when you use someone soliciting like that, most reputable operators don't work that way.

Archived