GO FLY A KITE !! Just wondering if you could fly a kite from the ship ?

planooldfamily

We've got an aft cabin and wondered if we could fly a kite from the balcony ? A few years ago we were eating dinner in the Main Dining Room and had a table by the aft windows. We saw a kite flying from the ship. Has anyone else done this - and if so do you have any hints for us ? I wonder if it would work best at port or at sea ? I know my kids would love it. Any suggestions ? Thanks !

progress.gif

:confused:Sometimes I wonder where these questions come from .. . . .

Here's a question for you: Why?

I have an aft cabin on the Legend and I will not be flying a kite . . . there's too many other things to do on a cruise.

From Carnival CCL and may hold true for other lines.

Due to "Safety Concerns", the following items cannot be utilized on board but may be brought on board for use in port, only:

Roller Blades/Skates

Snorkel Gear

Skateboards

Golf Clubs

Fishing Rods (packed)

Tennis Rackets

Kites (packed)

hey I always fish using a kite...it makes the hook go out way farther from the ship.....

I also bring a George Forman grill and a popeil pocket fish poacher....

can I bring a shot gun for skeet shooting?

How about a cross bow?

planoldfamily....welcome to CC. Unfortunately sometimes trying to get your question answered on these boards can backfire.

Call our cruiseline directly and ask them. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

planoldfamily....welcome to CC. Unfortunately sometimes trying to get your question answered on these boards can backfire.

Call our cruiseline directly and ask them. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

caribsun did answer the OP.

I don't profess to be an expert on flying kites off cruise ships, however just this morning I read an article in a local newspaper about kite flying in heavy wind. Based on that article, I would suspect that if a ship was travelling at 20 knots into a wind of say 10 knots so that the wind speed across the deck was 30 knots...it would tear most kites apart.:(

hey I always fish using a kite...it makes the hook go out way farther from the ship.....

I also bring a George Forman grill and a popeil pocket fish poacher....

can I bring a shot gun for skeet shooting?

How about a cross bow?

LOL! Thanks for the laugh this morning. Hey, don't forget to smuggle a few cases of beer on board as well. It would make it all the more fun:D

I don't profess to be an expert on flying kites off cruise ships, however just this morning I read an article in a local newspaper about kite flying in heavy wind. Based on that article, I would suspect that if a ship was travelling at 20 knots into a wind of say 10 knots so that the wind speed across the deck was 30 knots...it would tear most kites apart.:(

Yes, you are correct. Most normal kites would be torn to bits if you were flying them off a ship that was moving. I'm not an expert either, but I do teach physics and (sorry for the pun) this idea just won't fly unless you use a really nice, expensive kite. And then I would be afraid to lose it if the string broke!

I have thought of doing the same thing many times. I think that there probably would be something wonderful thing to see a beautiful and colorful kite flying against a blue sky chasing the cruise ship. Then I though of all the baby dolphins and other sea life that might get dangle up in the kite's string if it fell in the ocean. So I guess I will just have to dream about it.

My guess is also that the cruiselines are afraid that, in holding onto the kite, you might get pulled overboard.

And the realistic possibility the wind could send it crashing at a high rate of speed into an unsuspecting passenger's balcony possibly taking out an eye or causing some other injury.

We've got an aft cabin and wondered if we could fly a kite from the balcony ? A few years ago we were eating dinner in the Main Dining Room and had a table by the aft windows. We saw a kite flying from the ship. Has anyone else done this - and if so do you have any hints for us ? I wonder if it would work best at port or at sea ? I know my kids would love it. Any suggestions ? Thanks !

progress.gif

Why don't you bring a fishing rod and do some fly fishing from the aft!!:D

smeyer418

I have seen someone fishing off the aft

He even had some electronic gear and was wearing headphones. (However, he may have been a member of the the Italian navy searching for subs (it was MSC and we were in the Med)).

I decided I wouldn't touch this one with a 6 foot pole....or a 7 foot Russian...

I am sure he was practicing his sonar for the Italian Navy as you point out but if had a kite and floated the sonar 'phone further aft he would have heard the Red October much better........

Welcome to CC!

I saw someone flying a kite off the aft of the Spirit when we were sailing the inside passage in Alaska, and just last year off the aft of the Glory as we left Nassau. Not sure whether it is "allowed" or not, but it was fun to watch!

LOL! Thanks for the laugh this morning. Hey, don't forget to smuggle a few cases of beer on board as well. It would make it all the more fun:D

And don't forget to wear your Speedo in the main dining room!

smeyer418

I have seen someone fishing off the aft

He even had some electronic gear and was wearing headphones. (However, he may have been a member of the the Italian navy searching for subs (it was MSC and we were in the Med)).

There is no "THE AFT"!!!

To the OP:

Fortunately NO people are not allowed to do such idiotic things on board.

There is no "THE AFT"!!!

Thank you so verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry much for you didactic post regarding "the aft". Of course, "aft" is only used as an adverb or adjective . . . it is not a noun! I'm so relieved that I did not make this faux-pas at the captain's table . . . Had he pointed it out, I might have thrown-up . . . right there . . . in his lap! I can only assume that you are on a mission to correct 90% of the posts on CC who use "aft" as a noun . . . But, now I feel really elite . . . I know how to use the word "aft".

In exchange . . . I wanted to point out your grammatical error . . . it is called a "double negative" (something I learned in 10th grade (at least)).

You posted: Fortunately NO people are not allowed to do such idiotic things on board . . . the construction of that statement is illogical . . . almost sounds like anybody can do whatever they want . . . if course, commonsense would dictate differently . . . .

Have a nice day while you go after all those other posters who misuse the word "aft". (I just noticed that gail 811 misuses the word also.)

Went on a deep-sea fishing trip once...Painted on the back of the aft was a notice stating "No Passengers Aft". I'm going back to Hampton Beach to tell the Captain about his grammatical faux-pas.

Steve

Archived