Carnival Victory exc. to Buck Is?

Limeia

Has anyone done this? It says it's 3 hr. but isn't Buck Island quite a ways away? Would it be worth doing for the snorkeling or would you suggest some place else on St. Thomas?

Thanks, first time to the Carribean and cruising. 28 days! WHOO HOO!:D

Has anyone done this? It says it's 3 hr. but isn't Buck Island quite a ways away? Would it be worth doing for the snorkeling or would you suggest some place else on St. Thomas?

Thanks, first time to the Carribean and cruising. 28 days! WHOO HOO!:D

:confused: I thought Buck Island is off of St. Croix, would be a long trip.

I assume you're looking at the "Castaway Barefoot Sail and Snorkel" excursion. We just did this excursion on Glory three weeks ago. The "Buck Island" referred to in the description is the Buck Island National Wildlife Refuge, about two miles off St. Thomas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_Island_National_Wildlife_Refuge. (The Buck Island National Park is nearer to St. Croix.) Our sailing time out and back was about 45 minutes each way.

I have photos from our excursion at http://travel.webshots.com/album/570432541qGWcoi?start=0 (the St. Thomas photos start at page 5 - sorry the underwater shots aren't the greatest, but DH was using a disposable underwater camera.)

I didn't go snorkeling, but DH and our two older boys had a great time in the water. It's a pretty easy snorkel excursion and Castaway Girl's crew is experienced and fun. (And the rum punch is potent. There's a reason they don't serve it before you snorkel.;))

There were probably about 60 people on our excursion. The catamaran is a good size and there was plenty of room for folks to spread out. However, if you're looking for something more personalized, you might look at one of the private charters. The nice thing with this excursion is that Castaway Girl is docked within walking distance of the pier, so you don't have taxi expenses. It worked out much cheaper for us to do this excursion.

Hi runner - The C-A track season starts April 2 against Chatham. This is oldest son's last year - he graduates in June. Next year he'll be running Division III for the US Merchant Marine Academy.:)

I assume you're looking at the "Castaway Barefoot Sail and Snorkel" excursion. We just did this excursion on Glory three weeks ago. The "Buck Island" referred to in the description is the Buck Island National Wildlife Refuge, about two miles off St. Thomas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_Island_National_Wildlife_Refuge. (The Buck Island National Park is nearer to St. Croix.) Our sailing time out and back was about 45 minutes each way.

I have photos from our excursion at http://travel.webshots.com/album/570432541qGWcoi?start=0 (the St. Thomas photos start at page 5 - sorry the underwater shots aren't the greatest, but DH was using a disposable underwater camera.)

I didn't go snorkeling, but DH and our two older boys had a great time in the water. It's a pretty easy snorkel excursion and Castaway Girl's crew is experienced and fun. (And the rum punch is potent. There's a reason they don't serve it before you snorkel.;))

There were probably about 60 people on our excursion. The catamaran is a good size and there was plenty of room for folks to spread out. However, if you're looking for something more personalized, you might look at one of the private charters. The nice thing with this excursion is that Castaway Girl is docked within walking distance of the pier, so you don't have taxi expenses. It worked out much cheaper for us to do this excursion.

Hi runner - The C-A track season starts April 2 against Chatham. This is oldest son's last year - he graduates in June. Next year he'll be running Division III for the US Merchant Marine Academy.:)

Thanks for the info on Buck Island, I learn something new every day.:) Merchant Marine Academy!! Great, With all those cruises under his belt it was just a natural choice to be at sea. And maybe some day a Captain of a Carnival ship.

Thanks for the info on Buck Island, I learn something new every day.:) Merchant Marine Academy!! Great, With all those cruises under his belt it was just a natural choice to be at sea. And maybe some day a Captain of a Carnival ship.

Then I can be HIS guest....:D

Archived