Deceptive booking experience with Dolphin Discovery

aggieastrosfan

I just wanted to share my extreme displeasure with Dolphin Discovery's cancellation policies.

I reserved a royal swim for two people at 2 pm, as the time I wanted, 12 pm, was full. I received my confirmation, and saw that no refunds would be made prior to 7 days before sailing. Okay, no problem, as I wasn't planning on cancelling.

As luck would have it, I discovered on my roll call thread that some fellow cruisers pre-booked the 12 pm time the cruise ship. As the ship includes the entrance fee and transportation, it was only about $10 more per person to book through the ship. I pre-booked through the ship, and cancelled my reservation with Abby.

Two days later, I was informed that my reservation was canceled, and my refund, LESS A 2.15% ADMINISTRATION FEE, would be refunded to my credit card. This was the first I have EVER heard of an administration fee on canceled bookings. According to Abby, it is spelled out in the "terms and policies", which I was never notified existed, thus could never reference before cancelling. My confirmation made no mention of any additional "terms and policies" I agreed to by booking. In her words, "I'm sorry you feel this way...there is not much I can do about this". How about letting me know that they existed and where they were so I could read them when I booked?!?!?

I will enjoy my dolphin swim and not let this get to me, but I wanted to warn other cruisers about booking direct with Dolphin Discovery. Should you ever have to cancel for any reason, they'll charge you this administration fee, even though they make NO mention of it beforehand.

If you want to book the dolphin excursion independently, use Sherri at Cozumel Insider instead, so you don't get burned should you have to cancel.

Sorry you found out the "hard" way. The Admin. fee that they are refering to is what the bank charges them for them returning your money to you. I know it sounds petty, but believe me these fees add up. (I work for a non-profit org and I'm in charge of tracking and reconciling the bank account for our international credit card account.) Banks not only charge this fee but many more for international transactions using credit cards. I'm sure many small businesses have a hard time keeping up with these fees.

Anyway I hope this info helps you better understand what seems like an unfair situation.

Good luck and have a great trip.

If that's the case, why require full payment up front on one of the most popular excursions in Cozumel? Cozumel Insider didn't even charge me a deposit beforehend, and even the ship holds my reservation without charging me for it until excursion time.

All they should have done was be more up front about the fee. Out of all the independent excursions I've looked at, they are the only ones that require full payment up front, and the only ones that had no window for a cancellation without penalty. (These are just out of the excursions I looked at - there may be others out there, but I haven't seen them.)

If that's the case, why require full payment up front on one of the most popular excursions in Cozumel? Cozumel Insider didn't even charge me a deposit beforehend, and even the ship holds my reservation without charging me for it until excursion time.

All they should have done was be more up front about the fee. Out of all the independent excursions I've looked at, they are the only ones that require full payment up front, and the only ones that had no window for a cancellation without penalty. (These are just out of the excursions I looked at - there may be others out there, but I haven't seen them.)

Copied from the Dolphin Discovery website reservation form. It took me about 2 minutes to find it: http://www.*****form_packages.asp

Terms and Conditions: Pregnant women may not participate in any of our interactive programs.

Advance reservations require prepayment by Visa or MasterCard. Cancellations must be made no later than seven days prior to the program date. Refunds cannot be given for cancellations made with less than seven days notice, or for late arrivals or 'no-shows' on the day of a reservation.* Cancellations or reservation changes must be made by the person who made the booking, either by email or by telephone to Dolphin Discovery. We cannot accept cancellations or reservation changes from third parties.

If Dolphin Discovery cancels your program(s), a refund will be made to your credit card. (*Refunds will be made to clients traveling on cruise ships and who are unable to keep their reservation due to the late arrival or diversion of their cruise ship.) All refunds are subject an administration charge of 2.15%.

Dolphin Discovery reserves the right to refuse access to anyone who is considered unfit in any way to take to part in any program or tour

Minimum age restrictions apply to our programs and tours. Please check the Important Information related to your program or tour, on the relevant program page on our website www.dolphindiscovery.com or contact us at the numbers given below.

The fee is something they pay to accept your money as well and is most likely built into the cost of the activity. If you cancel and they return the money to you, not only did they pay to receive your money in the first place, but they had to pay to refund it to you. Certainly you don't expect the organization to pay fees to return money to you because you cancelled and booked through someone else?

As far as disclosing the fee up front, they disclose them on their terms and policies when you make reservations as shown above. Furthermore, as the consumer, it is your responsibility to understand the policies. If they're not black and white, then ask or accept the consequences. If you do not like the policies, then don't make the reservations. That is your choice. It is your money after all.

When people make reservations, it is assumed they will fulfill their committment to those reservations and that they have read and accepted the terms and policies.

Would the $2.68 pp really have changed your mind about cancelling?

Why do they require payment up front? Because that is their policy, they don't really have to have a reason, but my guess is like any business that works by reservations with limited space, it is intended to be a deterrent for cancelling. As to why some don't require it, perhaps they haven't experienced the loss from cancellations, or perhaps they don't care. MOST tours and excursions in Cozumel do require at least a 50% deposit. Keep in mind that when you make reservations, that space is held for you. It cannot always be sold to another person.

Don't mean to be a wet blanket, but I think your criticism of the company was unfair since it is clear that they have the terms and policies spelled out as any prudent business would.

Archived