P&O Prices have a target to hit!

tom_uk

In another thread, LibraLass (Sue) said:

I am seriously considering Celebrity Eclipse from Southampton next year...

and I replied:

I'm going on Solstice (Eclipse's already-existing sister, of course) this September, so I've been learning as much as possible about these ships. Solstice look absolutely beautiful inside, but there are a couple of things I was surprised to learn about:-

a) there is no proper 'Promenade deck'. There's a deck that's called the Promenade Deck, but it's not at all what we call a promenade deck. Access to the lifeboats is from the Entertainment deck, and that deck does have a 'promenade'. However, the lifeboats are all at deck level (they are not lifted up), so they completely obstruct the view from the 'promenade'. Have a look at this picture: that's the 'promenade'! There are a couple of spots along this deck where there is 'viewing access', but they are quite restricted in length.

b) Look again at the lifeboats; they're not just at deck level, they're actually protruding beyond the side of the ship. This means that they will be visible from the balcony decks above (looking downwards);

c) furthermore there is some horizontal obstruction of the balconies immediately above (Continental deck on Solstice) from the davits & uppermost parts of the lifeboats; and considerable obstruction of the balconies immediately above in the case of those lifeboats that are actually tenders - the forward 3 on each side, I think, as these are quite a bit larger & higher than a traditional lifeboat.

So Solstice & her sisters are/will be beautiful ships in their own way, but it's a very different way from traditional P&O.

Today I've had a quote on a cruise on Eclipse. It's 14 nights ex-Southampton to the western Med (Iberian peninsula mainly) in September 2010, and with the current Eclipse launch offer (£200 pp reduction) it comes to under £1400 per person, for a Cat 1C balcony on deck 8.

P&O will have to go some to match that. Even with the issues I mention above, that's a very attractive offer. And the initial reports from Solstice say that she's a beautiful ship with very high standards of interior decor & finish.

Although I'm not denying the general direction you're going in - Celebrity offer good prices (and I'll be looking at these myself; thank you) - prices vary on all lines much more than people think, and you can almost always beat any price if you look hard enough. A number of TA's are currently selling balconies on the Ventua for £1100 - £1200 for a similar cruise in May. Yes I know it's the dreaded Ventura, but even so...

And yes, I did get one.......

What I've never understood is why people pay hundreds, if not thousands more through loyalty to a TA who "gives good service". They just type in your debit card number, don't they?

Discuss.

Or pour a gin and watch the tele, I'm easy........

In another thread, LibraLass (Sue) said:

and I replied:

Today I've had a quote on a cruise on Eclipse. It's 14 nights ex-Southampton to the western Med (Iberian peninsula mainly) in September 2010, and with the current Eclipse launch offer (£200 pp reduction) it comes to under £1400 per person, for a Cat 1C balcony on deck 8.

P&O will have to go some to match that. Even with the issues I mention above, that's a very attractive offer. And the initial reports from Solstice say that she's a beautiful ship with very high standards of interior decor & finish.

I am sure that P/O will try and match that offer through your T/A. The big let down for me is the lack of a proper Promenade deck, on a cruise I spend most of my time sat on the Promenade deck. From your photo there are no deckchairs on that deck not a surprise if there is no view to look at. You said there is a limited area where there are no lifeboats but again that will be a problem, with smokers and none smokers using a small space. But I supose if you are not going to sit on the Prom deck or want to walk round it then it's not an issue.

I've never even seen her lol. Is it nice?

I am hoping so. I didn't care much for Ventura but the question that I need to answer is that because of size or some other reason. I am obviously hoping it is some other reason as Solstice is the same kind of size.

I have been Celebrity before and I think they are a class above P&O ships in terms of quality and service (funniy enough, Oceana is still my favourite!).

For me, Solstice needs to be several classes above Ventura.

Lets hope your saying that after your holiday Gerry.

Very much looking forward to your comprehensive and impartial review.

StopGo, I have been looking for your comprehensive and impartial review of Ventura, could you post the link please.

Thanks you so much.

I don't think I'm supposed to post that info here. But have a look at the most recent post in my blog - I've mentioned their name there.

You do not have to look far a 16 night cruise to Venice in a suite for just over £2000 in Oct 10. In the paper today.

Less for balcony cabins.

We are very tempted:)

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

You do not have to look far a 16 night cruise to Venice in a suite for just over £2000 in Oct 10. In the paper today.

My situation is that I can't take a holiday at short notice, and neither can my wife. In fact, the easiest thing for both of us is to know our holiday dates at the beginning of each year. So that points us firmly towards booking well in advance. We booked our Solstice cruise (in late September this year) in early April last year, for example. So we do tend to focus very much on launch offers.

StopGo, I have been looking for your comprehensive and impartial review of Ventura, could you post the link please.

Thanks you so much.

I don't do reviews Gerry, I think yours and idparkys were more than sufficient. I am also looking forward to lostinvegas review of the Ventura. By the way the lack of seating on the Prom Deck on the Solstice has caused the pool areas to be chock a block with passengers looking for somewhere to sunbathe. But I guess a smart guy like you Gerry will be aware of that problem.

I am hoping so. I didn't care much for Ventura but the question that I need to answer is that because of size or some other reason. I am obviously hoping it is some other reason as Solstice is the same kind of size.

I have been Celebrity before and I think they are a class above P&O ships in terms of quality and service (funniy enough, Oceana is still my favourite!).

For me, Solstice needs to be several classes above Ventura.

Sorry Gerry, I couldn't quiet grasp the message you were putting across in this post. I am guessing that there isn't much difference in price between Solstice and Ventura, so why are you expecting or needing Solstice to be several classes above Ventura. I know your main gripe with the Ventura is that " its not classy enough " what ever that means. Still I suppose everything will become clear when you post your Solstice Review.

It seems that Celebrity are going to back up their competitive Eclipse pricing with some non-financial incentives. As Royal Caribbean did last summer with IoTS, Celebrity are going to add some UK-specific touches to Eclipse, for her ex-Southampton programme at least, and these will include in-cabin tea & coffee making facilities. Here's a link:

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=3073

I definitely feel a cruise on Eclipse coming on!

Ive posted my review in the reviews section its waiting to be published by the moderators. Its very long, I tried to cover everything all the positives and negatives and be as balanced as possible.

I had a great time and in short found Ventura very similar to the 2 other cruises ships Oceana (2002) Carnival Spendor (2008).

I plan on booking a shorter cruise for later on this year maybe on RCI, Princess or Celebrity to try something different.

Chris

Hi Tom, as previous reported Azura prices are going to be keenly priced to match Solstice. P/O problem is to try and guess the economic situation for 2010/11 and to price accordingly.

p&o much higher than Celebrity Solstice/Eclipse

TomUK

I'm looking at the 5th Sept 2010 cruise on Eclipse as well...

may see you onboard!;)

Well I have been looking round on the Internet the last few days for our next cruise at it seems P&O are very competative when it comes to price.

We are really not sure who or what to try next. I would like to do Cairo and the greek islands or maybe the Baltic? in September this year.

I am seriously considering Ocean Village at the moment but would really rather go on a US ship. Everytime I look at the US companies though I find a similar cruise with P&O at a lower cost. Then I think about drinks prices and madatory tips on the US ships and the extra cost really adds up.

Chris

Archived