Precruise in Vancouver - How Long?

Hey all! I'll be spending some time in Vancouver before leaving for an Alaskan cruise in June. I was wondering what would be a good amount of time to get a good taste of Vancouver? I was planning on arriving early morning Monday, and the cruise leaves at 5:00 P.M. on Wednesday.

I would like to do a bike ride in Stanley Park, go on the lift up to Grouse Mountains, check out Granville Island, and Lynn Canyon Park. Would that be enough time to experience all this without rushing it? I can extend the trip by arriving on Sunday. And if there are any other suggestions on what to see feel free to add. Thank you!

Realistically, you might get in about half of what you really want to do. Depends on what time you arrive on Monday and what time you check into your cruise. Here is a summary of how much time each place you mentioned will take... also depends on your mode of transportation... if you have a car, then you will be able to see a lot more.

Stanley Park... bike ride in June... iffy... does have a tendency to rain in June here, but you might luck out. Seeing Stanley Park... a couple of hours at minimum... again, depends on what you want to do.

Granville Island... a couple of hours, three max. great place to have lunch and soak up the westcoast lifestyle.

Grouse Mountain... at least 2 hours if not more, depending on what you want to do. It takes time to get there and then time to get up the mountain...

Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge... will need a car as there is little transportation to get there. The bus would take you a million years and a cab will cost you the car rental amount. If it is a nice day, it is great... and best of all, free (do not confuse this with the Capilano Suspension Bridge. That is not free, but equally as nice and easier to get to. Base of Grouse Mountain. Time at Lynn Canyon... an hour to an hour and a half.

Hope this helps.

I visited YVR two years ago and I have to tell you that I really wish I had spent more time. On the good side, it means that I have a good reason to go back. It was one of the two provinces I had never been to. Now I have an excuse to go back and have more bento boxes.

Yes with the time you have allowed you will get a good taste of Vancouver but you won't have time to have digest it all. For instance at 1,000 acres you could loose yourself for more than a day in Stanley Park...I have lived in Vancouver for more than 60 years and never seen it all. Granville Island will take you more than 2 hours, I would suggest 4 hours or more to take it all in...in fact I am not sure that I have ever seen it all. Lynn Canyon...well I grew up and lived most of my life within a mile of it... depending what you want to do in it and the Lynn Creek headwaters could take you most of a day. You have not indicated what mode of transportation you intend to use will in our city and that will have a major impact on what you will get to to see in the time alloted. However, all of that said we hope you enjoy yor visit to the Jewel in the Crown of Canada and hurry back to see us.:):)

Another way to see Stanley Park is the free bus shuttle that runs from mid - June to mid- September - don't know when you will be in Vancouver in June but this link might help you decide how much time to spend in the Park.

http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/stanley/shuttle.htm

PD is correct - there are so many things to see in the Park that I like PD with over 60 years in the City haven't seen everything - for instance I didn't realize until a couple of years ago that there were gun towers hidden in the bush between Siwash Rock and Third Beach.

Generally most of the touristy things are on the eastern end of the Park but the western end was changed forever with the wind storms three years ago that destroyed much of the forest around Prospect Point - the rebirth and redevelopment of this area is well worth the extra time.

As for Lynn Canyon Park - yes it is accessible by bus - the stop is a short five minute walk to the Bridge.

Cheers

Dennis

We stayed in Vancouver for 4 nights before an Alaskan cruise a couple of years ago. We did a city tour, biked Stanley Park (it is huge!), took the ferry to Victoria and shopped. It is a great city and I would love to go back. I would suggest arriving on Sunday because there is just so much to do.

We'll be in Vancouver on a Sunday, staying at the Hampton Inn on Robson (Saturday night).

I thought a trip to Granville Island would be a good choice. We're not able to do very active things (like biking at Stanley Park :eek:).

Who has any thoughts, pro or con?

Thanks!

Plant....there is a lot of walking involved in seeing all of Granville Island. If this is still doable for you make sure you take the little ferry boat across False Creek from the city side to the "island" side...it is a fun trip.

Don't write off Stanley Park....there are more ways than biking to see and enjoy this park. There are tour buses and horse drawn carriages that will show you the best bits of the park. You'll see Prospect Point from the sea side when you cruise out of the harbour!

If you have an interest in museums and gardens....you might enjoy a trip to UBC to see the newly renovated Museum of Anthropology and the Nitobe Memorial Garden (said to be the most perfect Tea Garden outside Japan).

All of these have some walking involved...but not strenuous.

Enjoy Vancouver.

Archived