Galaxy Dining Question

mad4cruising

I am not sure that my husband and I want to participate in 3 formal night dining room experiences. What are the alternatives other than ordering room service? I think I have read that there is a casual dining option that offers the main dining room menu. Is this true? Where is this option located? Do you need reservations, and is there a fee?

Thanks to anyone who can answer this question.

There is a casual dining option but it does not offer the same menu as the dining room. Room service does provide the same menu as the dining room however during regular dining room hours. there is a $2 fee for the casual option. It is located in the grill area towards the rear of the ship by the buffet area. It is not a buffet.

Don

Lisa,

You could have asked our our boards, you've been so helpful, i'd like to return the favor.

Celebrity does offer what they call alternative dining. It is a pleasant dining experience with a simple, but delicious menu. It is not buffet, but rather a normal sit down dinner. You need to make reservations and can do that on board. There is a charge of $2/pp, that is to cover the thip for your waiter.

With room service, ordering at dinner is a problem. You will generally have a long wait as the kitchen and help are all very busy.

They will have the sushi bar and pizza buffet open at dinner time if you would prefer somethng along those lines.

Here's alittle information on Mayan Gardens, http://www.mayanbeachgarden.com/index.html

Please feel free to ask me any other questions. We have sailed on the Galaxy twice, so we are quite familiar with her. And Celebrity is by far our favorite cruiseline.

Don, thanks so much for your detailed reply.

Rick, I did not realize that you had sailed on the Galaxy twice before! I will definitely ask you if I have any further questions. And, thanks for the info on Mayan Beach Garden. I was seriously considering spending the day there, but the fee is $75 per person, plus a hefty transportation fee for a cab. That just seems too much to spend for half a day, since we are leaving port at 1:00 PM. I hope that I will have the opportunity to try the place another time, though, since it looks great!

We love the alternative dining....it is at the back of the buffet DR and the food was very good, there was bar service, and it was very relaxing. We usually go there when we have a long day in port and dont want to rush to dinner. The menu is different, but very nice IMO. There is a $2 fee pp....but who cares??? We do what we want on vacation!!!

I also havae a question in regards to alternative dining. Does this pertain also to the other Celebrity ships like the Infinity and Constellation? We are new to Celebrity but not to cruising. We have usually cruised with Princess but are trying out Celebrity. My DH is not to happy with 3 formal nights and 3 informal nights because of the sportcoat thing. Just what can he wear on informal nights. You read so many conflicting reports. Need all the help I can get.

Marilyn

We stopped to check the menu in the casual dining area on our recent Galaxy cruise. There were five choices that night: an individual pizza, lasagna, or the three standard alternatives-to-the-menu-entrees available in the main dining room (grilled salmon, roast chicken, and steak).

The casual dining maitre d' mentioned that on at least one night of our cruise the casual dining option was completely booked. Reservations for casual dining had to be made by 5:30pm. Casual dining is available from 6pm to 10pm, but only, as stated above, with reservations. Not very flexible compared with the dinner buffet offered on every other major cruise line, I'd say.

I also havae a question in regards to alternative dining. Does this pertain also to the other Celebrity ships like the Infinity and Constellation? We are new to Celebrity but not to cruising. We have usually cruised with Princess but are trying out Celebrity. My DH is not to happy with 3 formal nights and 3 informal nights because of the sportcoat thing. Just what can he wear on informal nights. You read so many conflicting reports. Need all the help I can get.

Marilyn

Yes, alternative dining is available on Celebrity ships. All ships have the same dining options - except for the Millie class ships (Millennium, Infiity, Summit, and Constellation) which additionallly have a specialty restaurant ($30 per person charge) and a spa cafe (healthy breakfast and lunch - no charge).

My DH is not to happy with 3 formal nights and 3 informal nights because of the sportcoat thing. Just what can he wear on informal nights. You read so many conflicting reports. Need all the help I can get.

Marilyn

Requested dress for informal nights on our pre-Thanksgiving Galaxy cruise was jacket and slacks for men. No mention of tie. We asked and were told the requirement to wear ties had been dropped. One small step for mankind.

Archived