Disneyworld and cruise combo

lowestar

Hi all,

I need some input!

We have two girls (nine and six), and have been on a couple of Princess cruises (which we love). This past year, Santa brought a trip to Disneyworld, so we went there in January for a week.

We are looking at Disney again this coming January, but thought we would maybe considering throwing in a cruise with it. There is a 4 day land, 3 night cruise with Disney.

I think we would want more than 4 days at Disney (because maybe that is only 3 days if you take out the day of travel?) knowing what we experienced this past January.

Would you guys recommend booking hotel (Disney value hotel in our case) for however many days, and then doing a 3 day cruise on Disney? Or are we better to go with something like RCL? (Knowing we loved Princess!)

If we don't book a land/cruise combo, we would have to look after transportation, right? How much are we talking?

I was sort of thinking I'd rather do the cruise first and Disney second, so let's say we fly to Orlando, how much for the 4 of us to get to the Port? How much to get from Port to Disney? I am assuming since we would be booking a Disney hotel, our transportation would be included back to airport.

Okay, love your imput!!!!!!

Tara

We did the 4 day Disney/3 day Disney cruise. We used Disney Transport (Magic Express I think) from airport to hotel, hotel to port, port to airport. Don't remember the price.

We booked an early morning flight, took the bus to our Disney hotel, they had a room available early. Dumped our luggage in the room, and made it to the park by noon. If the room hadn't been ready, we were prepared to leave our luggage with the front desk so we could go to the park. This allowed us to have more time in the parks.

We enjoyed doing the parks first, then the cruise. This gave us time to relax after running around the parks. If your family is able to travel in Sept/Oct. Parks are usually less crowded then in summer. (less time waiting in line, more time riding rides)

Hopes this helps with your decision. You'll have a great any way you decide to do it:D

I looked at doing the very same thing, but wanted more than what they were offering on the packages. I am looking at Disney World for at least five days in NOV / DEC and then a seven day cruise. The Disney folks wouldn't put together that package <sigh>. I also wanted to do something fun on the Ship or at Disney for our 30th Anniversary. At Disney World the Anniversary package started at $4500 and went UP. On board one of the Disney ships the anniversary package was $1500 and up.

I have opted to do Disney on my own for five days and then just head on down to Ft. Lauderdale / Miami (which ever cruise I decide on) and do a package that way for seven to ten days. It looks like it will be far less expensive. Now, I don't have kids to take along and I expect that the Disney cruise would be FAR more FUN for them on Disney...

Good luck

Scott:)

We leave tomorrow morning for a Disneyworld/cruise trip. My kids get a 2 week March break. :D :D We are spending the first week at Disney, in a timeshare. We always stay in timeshares in Orlando. I had originally planned to spend 2 weeks in Orlando, but then found a fabulous cruise deal on Carnival out of Port Canaveral. There are quite a few ships that sail out of Port Canaveral, including Disney.

I have not decided whether we're returning the rental car after a week or keeping it until after the cruise. The 2 weeks rental has been prepaid, so I wouldn't save any money on the rental. Parking at Port Canaveral is $15/day. A shuttle service that I looked into charges $180 round trip between MCO and Port Canaveral. That is for a Town Car. They also have limos and vans. It's about a 1 hour ride between the airport and Port Canaveral.

Although I would like to take the kids on a Disney cruise, I just haven't been able to stomach the prices yet. The price of a 3 day Disney cruise was the same as our 7 day cruise on Carnival.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I got thinking (before I read the replies) that it did make more sense to do the cruise AFTER for a couple of reasons 1) can unwind after days of racing around WDW and 2) we wouldn't have to worry about getting to boat on time if flight was delayed (we would be coming from Toronto). We usually fly down a day ahead, but we'd be able to save that hotel night!

I can't believe how much less expensive RCL is than Disney!! I am totally thinking RCL now over Disney. I hadn't thought about other cruise lines leaving from Port Canaveral. Maybe I should look at Carnival. Any others? We are Princess fans, but a 4 day cruise added on to a Disney trip is a nice way to experiment with a new cruise line!

Would love any other recommendations!!

I can book cruise now, but can't book Disney for January yet :(

Tara

We're also thinking of doing a WDW-cruise combo. vacation sometime between Jan.-Mar. next year. I also can't believe the price difference between Disney and any other cruiseline. We're also thinking of trying Univeral Studios this trip.

I have looked at Happy Limo for transportation from WDW to the port and then port to airport. With 4 people you may find they are less expensive than booking the Disney transportation to/from port. If you do your WDW portion first, then you can use the Magical Express (free shuttle) to your on-property resort.

If you want to stay at a Value Resort or more than the 3-4 nights on the Disney package, then book everything ala carte. I have looked at doing this. We have always stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. It is a wonderful moderate on-property Disney resort. Great planning resources for WDW: Touringplans dot com, and Intercot dot com.

Look at the Carnival cruises out of Port Canaveral too. The newest Carnival ship, Dream, has many family-friendly upgrades; and a recently refurbished ship Sensation? doing the 3 and 4-night cruises to Bahamas. They both have a waterpark (not just a slide), and Camp Carnival is known for their children's programming.

Have fun planning!

We have done W.D.W. then a cruise three years in a row now. Magical express is free if you stay in a Disney hotel. We usually fly in and when we leave use the magical express to pick up rental car at airport then drive to Miami or to Tampa works out very well,most rental car places near ports have shuttle to ports except Tampa but taxi was 25.00 w/tip.

Like other poster said we needed the cruise to rest up from Disney and we did 2 days Disney and 7 day cruise

How did you use the Magical Express to get back to airport after Disney? When we were there in January, I couldn't get my Magical Express time until I provided my flight info. If I don't have a flight, how do I use it?

I never thought about a Port other than Port Canaveral. Wow, so much to consider if we go from Miami or Tampa!

I think we would like to use this opportunity to try something other than Princess ... we love Princess, so we gravitate towards them out of fear of not liking something else, BUT a short cruise is a good way of testing this!

For almost every cruise, we try to add in a Disney World stay. So I can help you work this out.

Don't book the land/sea combo. They limit your options too much.

Also, you don't have to do Disney Resort then Disney ship. We've done a back to back with the Disney ships only twice, but have done the other cruise lines more.

So start at the beginning....

Find your cruise first. The January itineraries are obviously released.

How many days can you take off?

Four day cruises are better than 3 day...and then 5 days are better than that. ;)

Stay far away from Carnival Sensation. Its literally the only ship that I wouldn't go back on. And that says alot for me.

And I don't get your question about Magic Express...what do you mean you wouldn't have a flight?

Here's how we do it

--Airport to Resort - Magic Express Free

--Resort to Port - Private Towncar Service or Rental Car

--Port to Airport - Private Towncar Service or Rental Car

Michele,

I've been checking out your blog, and I love reading your posts!

Have you always the done the Disney/cruise combo by sailing out of Port Canaveral? How much each way is a town car or rental (approx) if we had 4 people? 6 people?

Have you ever done the Disney/cruise combo by sailing out of Miami or Tampa, or some other location? If so, same questions :)

Out of Port Canaveral, it looks like there are two RCI ships: Monarch and Freedom. Freedom looks amazing to me (I like the warmer destinations for January and the ship looks like it has some cool features!). Do you have any comments of one over the other as far as ship goes? Just wondering if you have really like the Monarch too?

My 9 year old (10 by time of trip) wants another cruise (we last went in Feb 2008 on Princess 10 day Panama Canal cruise) and my 6 year old (7 by time of trip) wants Disney or Disney cruise. I'd love to do this joint Disney/cruise to please both of them, but I don't think I want to do the Disney cruise when I could go cruising for sooo much less on RCI!

Thanks for your input!

Tara

I just got done comparing similar itineraries out of Port Canaveral for Disney vs. Royal Caribbean.

For a 7 night cruise on RCCL for an inside cabin for 3 people was $2,300 and no on board credit was offered.

For a 7 night cruies on DCL for an oceanview cabin for 3 people was $2,900 + you got $100 in onboard credit.

To me, that $500 difference, plus a better cabin, is worth every penny!!! Our cruise on the Disney Magic was hands down the BEST family vacation we have ever taken (my boys were 10 and 13 at the time).

Whatever you decide to do, book the land and cruise portions seperately.

Michele,

I've been checking out your blog, and I love reading your posts!

Have you always the done the Disney/cruise combo by sailing out of Port Canaveral? How much each way is a town car or rental (approx) if we had 4 people? 6 people?

Have you ever done the Disney/cruise combo by sailing out of Miami or Tampa, or some other location? If so, same questions :)

Out of Port Canaveral, it looks like there are two RCI ships: Monarch and Freedom. Freedom looks amazing to me (I like the warmer destinations for January and the ship looks like it has some cool features!). Do you have any comments of one over the other as far as ship goes? Just wondering if you have really like the Monarch too?

My 9 year old (10 by time of trip) wants another cruise (we last went in Feb 2008 on Princess 10 day Panama Canal cruise) and my 6 year old (7 by time of trip) wants Disney or Disney cruise. I'd love to do this joint Disney/cruise to please both of them, but I don't think I want to do the Disney cruise when I could go cruising for sooo much less on RCI!

Thanks for your input!

Tara

I am going on Majesty (Monarch's Sister ship, this June). If there was a comparison, then I would do Disney first, then Monarch. Monarch is a much older ship. But if I wanted to do a ship with all of the bells/whistles, then I would choose a Freedom class (Freeom/Liberty or Indepenedence)

For Port Canaveral - the Private towncar is up to about $200 round trip for up to 5 people. When you get to 6 or more, you can actually get a shuttle van. The shuttle van cost us $230 for 8-10 people, roundtrip.

For Miami - you'll have to do a rental car. The prices for shuttle/taxi are just to high to even consider at that distance.

For Fort Lauderdale/Tampa - same thing - rental car.

I just got done comparing similar itineraries out of Port Canaveral for Disney vs. Royal Caribbean.

For a 7 night cruise on RCCL for an inside cabin for 3 people was $2,300 and no on board credit was offered.

For a 7 night cruies on DCL for an oceanview cabin for 3 people was $2,900 + you got $100 in onboard credit.

To me, that $500 difference, plus a better cabin, is worth every penny!!! Our cruise on the Disney Magic was hands down the BEST family vacation we have ever taken (my boys were 10 and 13 at the time).

Whatever you decide to do, book the land and cruise portions seperately.

How much was it to upgrade those same 3 people to an OceanView on Freedom? There is no comparison between RCCL Freedom of the Seas and Disney Wonder/Magic. The Disney ships are older. Have less ammenities onboard. And as my kids get older, the characters have less of an appeal.

And did you check Liberty and Freedom, same week? Freedom is just now starting to sail out of PC, so the prices are higher because the demand is there. You should check Liberty, even newer than Freedom out of Miami and see what the price of that is.

Nothing beat our experience on Independence of the Seas - nothing. Not all of the Mickey in the world...LOL. :D

I was on the Freedom on Feb 1st. Western Caribbean out of Miami.

Just my girlfriend and I but they had a terrific childrens program.

Shows, entertainment, activities, and promenade just specacular.

Next year my grandson will be 4 and there is no doubt about what

ship we will be on in combo with Disneyworld.

I am a diehard Princess, Azamara and Holland America fan but I do

know that the childrens programs are fantastic on RCCL and Carnival.

Hi,

We just got back from a 2 week vacation (Disney/Cruise). I booked them separately. We spent the first week at WDW and then cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale. I loved that we went crazy the first week walking and walking around WDW and eating the so so WDW food. Then the second week we were totally spoiled onthe ship. To me this is the best order but I'm sure everyone has their preference.

We flew into Orlando and home from Ft. Lauderdale (there was no extra cost to do this). Then to add a bit of variety to the trip we caught the Amtrak train to Ft. LAuderdale. It took about 4 hours of travel but it was something totally different that the kids had never done. It was quite reasonably priced for all of us to ride the train.

We are taking a big Disneyworld/Disney Cruise trip this November. We start with 10 days in Orlando. We have rented a 4-bedroom house on a lake with pool, jacuzzi, and game room 5 minutes from WDW for $200/night. We're renting a car from Budget because Budget has a location in Port Canaveral. We'll drive from Orlando to the Port and unload 1 adult, 2 kids, and our luggage. The other adult will drive to the Budget office, drop off the car, and take the free shuttle back to the Port. We'll do the reverse when we disembark. I haven't booked the car yet, but as I recall, preliminary prices online show that a one-way, one-day rental from the Port to the airport is less than $100. This gives us the freedom to go where we want that day (maybe the Kennedy Space Center) before we head to the airport.

I arranged all of this myself, rather than do a package through Disney. That way, we could get the length of stay that we wanted in Orlando. We also prefer having a rental car, rather than relying on Disney's ME to get around the parks. Plus, we have enough time to go to Universal and other venues as well.

If you are undecided about transportation, just visit some car rental, car service, and shuttle websites to get an idea of various price structures. The same could be said for hotel and vacation home rental websites to give you an idea of what non-Disney lodging prices are. Given the state of the economy, you can get some really good deals now.

By the way, the January 2010 cruises are up on the Disney Cruise website. Yes, Disney is more expensive, but our girls are such big Disney fans that we decided to splurge and go for it this year. We plan to cruise other lines in the future, but this is our first cruise and we wanted to make it extra-special for them.

I sailed on Disney this past February. It was our first cruise, so I thought Disney was the best way to break us in. My kids are 12 and 9 y/o. We enjoyed our 4 day cruise quite a bit, but it flew by fast.

We came home in total depression because I think we enjoyed crusin. Within one week we booked another cruise...details below. The Disney transfer cost $69 or $79 pp. It adds up really fast if you have more than 2 people. We rented a car on the way to the port and used a service to return to MCO. We saved more money this way.

When I booked Disney, they had an offer for a 3 day bounceback for fall 2009 for $99.00 pp cruise. Well, as you know Disney is expensive so we couldn't pass this up. However, to make it worth our time to travel we needed to do something else. So, I booked a 3 day with Disney and leaving from the same port when we disembark is RCI Freedom. We will be on RCI Freedom for 7 days.:D My kids are more excited to be on the Freedom. It really more up their ally and ours.

Well, for me that cruise was still far away, so I convinced my sister to cruise with me this May on the Liberty leaving out of Miami.:D

So, I booked a 3 day with Disney and leaving from the same port when we disembark is RCI Freedom. We will be on RCI Freedom for 7 days.:D My kids are more excited to be on the Freedom. It really more up their ally and ours.

Well, for me that cruise was still far away, so I convinced my sister to cruise with me this May on the Liberty leaving out of Miami.:D

Oh yeah, you're hooked. No turning back now...LOL.

Welcome to the world of the Cruise Obsessed. :D

Archived