Snow in Skagway end of May?

irene1127

I think you'd just find it frustrating, Eric. I recommend 5 hours for the trip to Emerald Lake and back, and although you could do it in 3+ hours (it's 150 miles total), it would be more of a marathon than en enjoyable look at the country. You're going to love the steam trip! http://www.railsnorth.com/steamex.html was my last one.....

Murray

Thanks Murray, that was going to be my next question! After reading all the comments here it seems that if time allows, you really should try to do BOTH the rental car to Emerald Lake AND the White Pass Summit train ride, am I correct?

If so, then this is what I plan to do:

We'll rent a car at Avis in Skagway at about 8:30 a.m. and plean to be out of there by no later than 9 am. We'll drive to Emerald Lake following the route on Murray's Guide and allow for no less than 5 hours time for the round trip. (I'll allow 6 just to be sure.) That puts us back in Skagway no later than 3 PM. By the time we return the car it shoukd be no later than 3:30 PM. That gives us enough time to get back on the ship and drop off the children at childcare so that DH and I can make the White Pass Evening Summit ride at 4:45 PM. That train will put us back in Skagway no later than 8:00 PM, which gives us plenty of time since the ship doesn't leave until 9 PM.

What do you think, does that sound good? Any other suggestions?

By the way, is there any place along the Klondike Highway when heade to Emerald Lake to use the bathrooms and get a bite to eat? We'll have the kids with us for that portion so I am somehwat concerened.

Thanks for ALL the advice!

this is what I plan to do: We'll rent a car at Avis in Skagway at about 8:30 a.m.

You didn't say when you'll be there, so this may not be relevant to you but I'll mention it anyway: what I found was the Avis office opens at 8 Monday to Friday, but at 9 on Saturday and Sunday. Sourdough opens at 8 on Sunday, according to the email I just got back from them.

-- Eric

You didn't say when you'll be there, so this may not be relevant to you but I'll mention it anyway: what I found was the Avis office opens at 8 Monday to Friday, but at 9 on Saturday and Sunday. Sourdough opens at 8 on Sunday, according to the email I just got back from them.

-- Eric

Thanks for the head's up Eric! Actually, my ship (NCL Pearl) gets in to Skagway on Wednesday so I'll be fine with picking the car up at 8:30 a.m. That is of course, if I can get out of bed that early on vacation! :p

Archived