Deducted part of on board credit

SBwannaB

We booked our Pearl to Alaska cruise for May, last August. When we received our confirmation papers, we were given a complimentary OBC of $100 for our stateroom. Now that we have made final payments, I was informed by my travel agent that the price of the cruise dropped about $80 PP, which I assume was the fuel surcharge, but $25 was deducted from our OBC. Now it is $75 for the room. The TA was frustrated by this and said she argued for it, but no explanation given as to why it was taken back. Since I have it "in writing" -- do you think I could get the full amount once I am on the ship? So much for early booking incentives.. Not much money to bicker over, and we still came out ahead, but poor customer service.:confused:

It depends if it was for the fuel supplement or if your TA took advantage of an actual price drop. That will be where the answer is. If it was a price drop, then when you get the new price, you often will lose the old promotion and get whatever current one is available. If it was the fuel supplement, then there is nothing I know of that would cause you to lose your OBC just from a fuel supplement refund.

The removal of the Fuel adjustment charge would have nothing to do with your fare. Did the fare go down and if so did you ask your agent to get you the lower fare or how did you know the fare was lower?

If you or your agent didn't get it lowered then something is wrong. The removal of the Fuel charge would have nothing whatsoever to do with your OBC unless what you thought was complimentary OBC was in fact Fuel adjustment credit.

Though since they charged you a fixed amount for that in the first place the amount refunded or credited should have been identical to what you were charged.

Something about this is wrong.

I just got clarification of what happened to the OBC. There was a reduction in the fare, the fuel surcharge is still there. It makes more sense to me now and we came out for the better, so I am happy again. :)

We booked our Pearl to Alaska cruise for May, last August. When we received our confirmation papers, we were given a complimentary OBC of $100 for our stateroom. Now that we have made final payments, I was informed by my travel agent that the price of the cruise dropped about $80 PP, which I assume was the fuel surcharge, but $25 was deducted from our OBC. Now it is $75 for the room. The TA was frustrated by this and said she argued for it, but no explanation given as to why it was taken back. Since I have it "in writing" -- do you think I could get the full amount once I am on the ship? So much for early booking incentives.. Not much money to bicker over, and we still came out ahead, but poor customer service.:confused:

The way I look at it is you are $55.00 richer than you were. So, what's the problem. If you want the whole 100.00 obc, then have your agent reverse your booking back to the original deal.

In life, you can't always have everything all ways.

the "rule" on this are pretty simple. If you are eligible for the lower fare you have to take all the restrictions/benefits that come with it. That may include lower OBC...so what you have been told is correct. You can of course complain and the amount is so small they may just do it to get rid of you but it seems that what you were told is accurate.

Your travel agent should be able to tell you why the $80.00 per person adjustment. If it has to do with the fuel charges you should not loose any of your OBC. If it has to do with a promo you are still better off, I am not sure where the problem is..It the bottom line is less what difference does it make?

Nita

I just got clarification of what happened to the OBC. There was a reduction in the fare, the fuel surcharge is still there. It makes more sense to me now and we came out for the better, so I am happy again. :)

What do you mean the Fuel surcharge is still there? that the credit for it is still there or the charge itself, since that should have been removed before final payment?

also are you saying that since they reduced your fare the OBC you had was reduced as well and if so why they normally go with the category of cabin not the price of the cabin.

can you explain your explanation more clearly?

I'd take the papers showing that $100 OBC with me, then take them to Guest Services once on board and show them. Who knows? They may give you your $25 back. Can't hurt to ask.

Not me. OP is already ahead of where they started. I would just enjoy it. Why risk aggrivation when you're already winning?

Archived