Traveling with Autistic teenager

DH and I have decided to take our two teenagers with us on the Monarch in May. Our 16 yr old son is autistic but very high functioning. My DD is 18 and therefore cannot attend the youth functions with him. It is only a 4 day cruise and I suppose we can stick together most of the time but he will probably want to do teen stuff at some point. Who do I tell about him? He is smart but communication is difficult for him. Is there anyway we can "tag" him in case he needs us?

I have a friend for has a autistic child. My question to you is how is does he respond to crowds? Going on a cruise is kind of like being put on a New York City subway train. If you are not use to that enviroment it can be quite a emotional roller coaster for anyone, especially a autistic teenager. Granted you know your son better than anyone, so I'm sure you will be able to make the right decision once you get on board.

DH and I have decided to take our two teenagers with us on the Monarch in May. Our 16 yr old son is autistic but very high functioning. My DD is 18 and therefore cannot attend the youth functions with him. It is only a 4 day cruise and I suppose we can stick together most of the time but he will probably want to do teen stuff at some point. Who do I tell about him? He is smart but communication is difficult for him. Is there anyway we can "tag" him in case he needs us?

Our family travels via cruise very often, with our 2 sons. Our oldest is 9 years old and a brain tumor survivor with multiple disabilities. We have found that it is hard to precommunicate with the cruise ships regarding our son's special needs and the best way for us to get support on board is to introduce him...he melts their hearts and they hear his story and want to help us...this has been particularly true for us when we want to get in room babysitting...how do you tell someone what he needs without scaring them into saying no to helping?

The kids programs usually are run by great young people who are more than happy to help find a way to make the vacation good for kids with all kinds of challenges.

I hope you have a great trip!

As a teacher of children with ASD, I would say that cruising would be very compatible with your son's temperament as you describe it.

I am sure that RCI will be very accommodating if you contact their special needs department.

Have a great time.

Thanks for all of your advice. He probably will not like the crowds very much - I hadn't thought of that - muster will probably not be his favorite thing. But he is pretty calm and controled - I know we will have a great time - I'm just gonna go with the flow....

Thanks for all of your advice. He probably will not like the crowds very much - I hadn't thought of that - muster will probably not be his favorite thing. But he is pretty calm and controled - I know we will have a great time - I'm just gonna go with the flow....

I am very interested in anyone who has had dealings with Autism on the Seas.

This is advertised as a free service. If you elect to use it, I would love to hear a review about it when you return.

Our 17 year old son has Autism and just completed his 30th cruise on another cruise line. They have been very accommodating, so I am certain that RCCL will be as well.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

My Step-Son, is autistic, when we took him on his first cruise, he had a lot of fun, he also is not communicative, when we boarded they placed a wrist band that indicated where his muster station is. The waiter and assistant were super with him, he loved everything about the cruise, in fact he will be with us on our Panama Cruise

• 1 month later...

My son and I have cruised on group cruises with Autism on the Seas twice. We have loved them and have two more cruises booked. The services they offer greatly reduce the stress on a cruise. On group cruises they also have social get together, shows, dinning and parties. On our cruise they even did a movie night with the kids (no parents) so we could go see some shows. You can be as involved with them as you want. We went to every event both times and loved it. We have made many new friends on our cruises and will be cruising with them in August and December. My son can not wait to go again.

Archived