Gem/Barcelona-Aug,Sept,Oct Best Time to Go???

coffeecat

We are interested in the Gem cruise out of Barcelona but are undecided on the best time to go-August, September, or October. I have read the member reviews of the Gem posted during these months for last year but have some questions....

It seems like in August there are a ton of families and kids on board...is this also true for September/October? Also would like to have some warm weather and would want to avoid the peak tourist season at the ports.

Has anyone been during these months that has any advice?

Thanks is advance for your input!

I'd go mid September. There will still be some Europeans on vacation that month, but it will be starting to thin out. Weather is almost perfect.

August is going to be HOT and still PEAK tourism season for both Europeans and Americans. This makes for a less than ideal situation in my past experience.

October CAN be very nice but you run the risk of early cooling. Also, as the tourism season will be over, some places will start to shorten their hours.

For me September is the best balance (I'll be sailing on the Jade out of Barcelona on the 5th of September).

PLEASE plan on spending some time in BCN before or after your cruise. I LOVE that city!

C.

We normally have a few days in the Med at the end of Sept because the fiercest heat is over, the kids are back at school, the prices are lower (if you miss UK half term-3rd or 4th week in Oct), and the sea water has slowly heated up to the perfect temp for swimming. This year we are going to Menorca-just a ferry ride from Barcelona, so it should be lovely for a cruise-mind you, we loved the cruise from B. this Feb on Jade-and it certainly was NOT hot!-jocap.

If we were not bringing our son and want to see a lot of things, then late Sept and early Oct.

We went in Dec and it was good but the days were shorter (daylight I mean) and the photos didn't come out well (winter sun).

But on the whole we were very glad to have gone on the Med cruise in Dec rather than summer. I found a great photo enhancing software to fix the horrible "winter sun" on my photos. I just cannot imagine ourselves going the same route in the height of summer with hoardes hoardes other people visiting and in the heat!

But if you have kids, then go during the half-term hols so your kids will have fun in the kids clubs and you all will get to see more things.

Cheers!

I agree wholeheartedly with the other posters - if you have the choice, avoid August. It was brutally hot and crowded, both on the ship and in ports. A lot of Europe takes vacation at that time, so many sites, shops, etc actually close for weeks at a time - we were disappointed as our favorite restaurant in Rome was also closed for the month. The ship was filled with Spaniards and their children on their break, and seemed much more crowded than other sailings over the Christmas holidays or Spring Break. Mostly, though, would be the heat - it was so ridiculously hot in all the ports that we almost went broke buying waters and came back to the ship seriously soaked in sweat every day. If it is your only choice, then do August rather than not go at all, but I would say late September or early October would be delightful.

Robin

Robin

Archived