Rome

jonsul

Does anyone know if Cunard run a shuttle service from Civitavecchia into Rome, or do you have to take the "Rome on your own" tour to get there and back? Not clear in the brochure!

Thanks

Susan & John :o

Does anyone know if Cunard run a shuttle service from Civitavecchia into Rome, or do you have to take the "Rome on your own" tour to get there and back? Not clear in the brochure!

Thanks

Susan & John :o

There was no shuttle when we were in Rome last year, just the rather expensive coach to Rome. We took the train, which was a fairly easy walk, and there is a stop near St Peter's, which is a good way to start your tour on your own. There are many trains between Civitavecchia and Rome, so it really works out well (unless they rail service is on strike which happened once!)

Enjoy your voyage!

The best way to do the Rome tour is on your own, there should be a coach to take you into town, from there walk to the station, join in the fast moving line and buy the ticket for Rome, it is a special price , only a few £s, jump on the next train,

As safaigal says, get of at st peters, walk across toward st Peters , then you can go inside at your leisure, then walk down , use a map, see the sights enroute, the trevi , etc, go almost in a straight line through the main sigths, you will see them all as you go, but always head toward the main staion termini, when you reach the termini, get the train back to the ship, it is so cheap, so easy, go as early as you can if you want to avoid the line at st Peters, everything else is easy.

I am happy to help on your tour, Rome is my all time favoite city in the world, the people are wonderful, the sights are the very best, the food to die for and the coffee is the very best anywhere, there is cafe at the termini which will sell you your last roman coffee, and I promise you want to leave the city.

have fun

rob

I am happy to help on your tour, Rome is my all time favorite city in the world, the people are wonderful, the sights are the very best, the food to die for and the coffee is the very best anywhere.....

rob

Absolutely right, but I do get accused of being a bit of a snob when I say I have never had a really good cappuccino outside Italy, not even on board an Italian MSC ship!

Bob

Thanks everyone! We really want to make the most of our day there, drink the coffee (of course) and throw our coin into the trevi to make sure we get back there!

Your comments are all very useful - we'll print them and take them with us! :)

Susan & John

Thanks everyone! We really want to make the most of our day there, drink the coffee (of course) and throw our coin into the trevi to make sure we get back there!

Your comments are all very useful - we'll print them and take them with us! :)

Susan & John

Make sure you do throw your coin, and, dont forget on the right hand side at the back, go and drink from the small tap there, this ensures your return, it has never failed me yet.

NHBOB, your 100% right, the very very very best coffee is in Italy and even better in Rome, god I think im gonna book a weekend right now.

rob

Hi Rob

Is it possible for you to be a little more specific with your helpful comments about getting the train to Rome. I would appreciate you explaining how one can

1. Buy a ticket to Rome without

being able to speak Italian. Do they speak English or do you buy from a machine. Is it a return or single.

2. How frequent are the trains.

3. How do you know which platform to go to and even which train. Or is there only one.

4. If you get off in St Peters in Rome and return from the same station how easy is it to find the right train back.

5. Do you find that usually there are lots of people from the ship going to Rome using that method so you aren't on your own.

It could be quite hair raising to end up catching a train going in the opposite direction.

The more you can enlarge on things the more I would apprciate it. It's just that now my wife and I are in our 70's we are more cautious than when we were younger

There was no shuttle when we were in Rome last year, just the rather expensive coach to Rome. We took the train, which was a fairly easy walk, and there is a stop near St Peter's, which is a good way to start your tour on your own. There are many trains between Civitavecchia and Rome, so it really works out well (unless they rail service is on strike which happened once!)

Enjoy your voyage!

hiya Safarigal., you must have been on with us for the world QV last year...was a fantastic trip wasnt it., got another planned?:p

Hi Rob

Is it possible for you to be a little more specific with your helpful comments about getting the train to Rome. I would appreciate you explaining how one can

being able to speak Italian. Do they speak English or do you buy from a machine. Is it a return or single.

3. How do you know which platform to go to and even which train. Or is there only one.

4. If you get off in St Peters in Rome and return from the same station how easy is it to find the right train back.

5. Do you find that usually there are lots of people from the ship going to Rome using that method so you aren't on your own.

It could be quite hair raising to end up catching a train going in the opposite direction.

The more you can enlarge on things the more I would apprciate it. It's just that now my wife and I are in our 70's we are more cautious than when we were younger

Age has nothing to do with it! I also have these concerns. We're really not that good at finding our way around foreign cities, and usually miss all the good stuff because we "play it safe", so answers to Fleetwood15's questions would be a blessing for us too!

Also, we are there on a Sunday - does that affect travel services and what will be open to see? And what about the shops on a Sunday?

Thanks again. You guys are great! :)

Susan & John

How often do you get to do these trips? Why be cheap? For a few hundred dollars, you can hire a car and driver who speaks English and will take you door to door and throw in a very comprehensive tour as well. Also, the licensed drivers can literally park at the front doors of most of the attractions. Areas cabs are not even allowed in. Stefano at Rome Cabs is wonderful and well worth the money. Have fun.

Jim.

Hi Rob

oh gosh, ok.

Trust me on all this, going by train is so easy and you get to join the locals, a cunard tour is one thing a private is not, if your late, bye bye ship, the train.

there should a shuttle bus into town, its not far.

ask if you cant find the staion, but it is easy, when you get there they are so organised.

enter the staion, there will a lot of people in line all doing what your going to do, join the line, when you reach the window, you will see a sticker on it so you ask for that, BUT they all speak english, they all know what you want and where your going, its almost all they do, everyone is going to Rome, but the train is on the platform by the ticket office.

go as far as st peters, leave the train and follow anyone going that way, you will see the basilica and head toward it, cross the road and turn left, there you are, gosh im rome sick now, can I come with you?

if your not going past st peters then return from that staion on the other track, but please go to the trrevie, they have a great metro, easy to use again, only 2 directions, the train is easy to use honest, returning, the boards have it written on, there are many trains in both directions, everyone is friendly, why not team up with a couple from the ship.

I hope all helps, the cost is around £4 or $6 each

hiya Safarigal., you must have been on with us for the world QV last year...was a fantastic trip wasnt it., got another planned?:p

I so wish we had been on the world QV last year. We actually were on a Med cruise in August, and I was very impressed by the QV, we had a wonderful time on her. We are currently saving up for a WC segment on the QM2 for 2010. Can't wait! Then on our agenda is to find a cruise that starts or ends in New Zealand as we would love to visit.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. Our day in Rome was fantastic, lots of good food and sightseeing, and wonderful memories. I'm glad we took the train (always adds to the adventure!), but do agree that although it is quite expensive, having a private driver does have its benefits. As long as you get back to the ship on time.

Age has nothing to do with it! I also have these concerns. We're really not that good at finding our way around foreign cities, and usually miss all the good stuff because we "play it safe", so answers to Fleetwood15's questions would be a blessing for us too!

Also, we are there on a Sunday - does that affect travel services and what will be open to see? And what about the shops on a Sunday?

Thanks again. You guys are great! :)

Susan & John

Hi guys, I was in Rome only a couple of months ago - most shops aren't open on a Sunday, however that day is fantastic to see Rome - less crowds and hardly no traffic (great walking!!) Also, if you are somewhat religious, the Vatican is awesome to visit on Sunday - the Pope gave his speech. Travel services - Rome has so many tourists you'll never find yourselves without transport (unless they strike, as someone pointed out earlier). You'll have a brilliant time - have fun in the Eternal City!

mad kat

One good way to see the sights is on board the bus 110 or 110 open. It starts at the main Railway Station and is a route which you can hop on and off as you wish. The tickets cost around 13 euros or did a few years ago. It goes to the Colosseum, Bocca della Verit, Piazza Venezia, Piazza Navona, the Vatican, the Trevi Fountain and via Veneto.

One good way to see the sights is on board the bus 110 or 110 open. It starts at the main Railway Station and is a route which you can hop on and off as you wish. The tickets cost around 13 euros or did a few years ago. It goes to the Colosseum, Bocca della Verit, Piazza Venezia, Piazza Navona, the Vatican, the Trevi Fountain and via Veneto.

I would fully agree with you on this, the bus is a wonderful way to get around, the metro is easy as well, and you the train is.

I have to say, you wont have to time to vist shops, please dont even think about shopping, there is so much to see in Rome, a lifetime is not enough

You must make time for a cup of coffee, an ice cream and I would suggest a reasonable lunch at one of the outside restaurants.

Ah in Rome, id be happy with a coffee, an ice cream from shop on the corner by the spanish steps another coffee, an extra coffee, then 1 more coffee and back to the ship mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

cpnp, we gave the details to TA for the QW , maybe we will be there

This was our Cunard experience in Rome last June ...... We took a shore excursion from the ship to Rome left promptly at 730 am were in Rome shortly after 930 got Right into the Vatican museum and ST Peters , I mean no wait. Tours get first preference, we saw that there were long lines. The same for the Coloseum. We had a great lunch in a wonderful Roman restaurant .... spent time at St Peters square etc....my point is this.... If you are spending thousands on a vacation why do you want to save a few bucks and take the train???? These are my concerns ....language and time.... if you go on your own you dont know the language and if you are late getting back .....its bye bye.. Weve been on 15 cruises and I can tell you that boat will wait a few minutes only.....then its on to the next port with or without you. What if you are on the train and there is a breakdown or a delay?? Maybe Im a worrywart but why clutter your mind with these thoughts on vacation?? We were on the QM2 last summer for 24 days and found the shore excursions to be very well run and organized....yes some may say expensive but we have found the Cunard planning to be well worth it

Our experience of the Cunard tours is varied. Not that they were bad in any way - certainly not knocking them at all.

When we went to Bilbao last April we took the tour which included the Guggenheim, but were rushed around as we only had 1 1/2 hours there, only covering 2 floors in that time. Also in Bilbao, we had to wait half an hour for a toilet stop whilst the party "made themselves more comfortable" (come to think of it, they did that at the Guggenheim and we had to stand and wait till all the party were together before we even went into the museum).

When we went to La Coruna one part of the excursion was called off as some of the tour didn't want to get off the bus because it was raining, and wanted to go back to the ship, so the bus turned around and went back. Not forgetting another toilet stop on the same tour, with one elderly gentleman wandering off wihtout telling anyone, so we couldn't go on until he returned.

We did let the Pursers Desk know of these events (not as a complaint because we believe the tour guides did their best under the circumstances).

The excursions are not cheap, and we didn't feel we had the best out of them. We certainly are considering some of the excursions, though feel at our age we ought to be a bit braver and attempt doing these things on our own! Leaving plenty of time, of course, to get the train back and have a coffee in Civitavecchia before getting the shuttle back to the boat!

Wish us luck! (though we may still get cold feet and revert to the guided tour!) :o

Susan & John

There is no doubt that Cunard tours are quite expensive, but you have the "we won't miss the ship security".

Personally I would rather team up with another like -minded couple or solo passenger and get a nice car to take us hither and yon at our pace, stopping for toilets or coffee if we want and allowing plenty of time to get back to the ship with a couple of hours to spare before departure. Tours always seem to end up spending most time at uninteresting places and little time when you are really in to what you are looking at. just my view.

I have the same thoughts, the tours are expensive and not really worth the money, we have short tours, not seen what we thought or what they said, our own tours have been fine, its not just the price althought thats helps.

Jim, a car is a good idea if they can a couple to share it,

the train is great, cheap, easy, this is ROME, Italy, they all speak english, sometimes better than the english speak it, if your late or the train breaks down, hits a cow, catchs fire or mount etna erupts, then flag down a passing car, fake death, if all else fails, stay in a hotel and catch a train to the next port.

better stilll worrywort, DONT worry, enjoy it all, BTW if something does go wrong, Cunard will miss a lot of passengers and crew, cos there all on the TRAIN, I promise you:)

Archived