Did Carnival stop doing OBC??

always_tarty

I just booked and paid in full for a 4-day cruise on the Destiny, leaving out of Miami on May 14th. Today I was looking at the Carnival website and noticed the rate dropped slightly, so I went ahead and called Carnival. I couldn't remember my PVP's number because I have it on my desk at work, so I just called the 800 number. I told the PVP that I had just booked and paid in full less than six days ago and asked him if I was entitled to an on board credit. He said Carnival doesn't offer OBCs anymore. So I asked him about a honoring the lower price and he said he couldn't do that either because I was inside the penalty period (60 days from sailing). I told him I was rather surprised by that since I have cruised on Carnival several times. He put me on hold for a while and then came back on the line and offered to refund the difference to my credit card, which was fine with me. But what the heck? Has anyone else gotten OBC recently? He said they quit doing that 3 months ago.

I just booked and paid in full for a 4-day cruise on the Destiny, leaving out of Miami on May 14th. Today I was looking at the Carnival website and noticed the rate dropped slightly, so I went ahead and called Carnival. I couldn't remember my PVP's number because I have it on my desk at work, so I just called the 800 number. I told the PVP that I had just booked and paid in full less than six days ago and asked him if I was entitled to an on board credit. He said Carnival doesn't offer OBCs anymore. So I asked him about a honoring the lower price and he said he couldn't do that either because I was inside the penalty period (60 days from sailing). I told him I was rather surprised by that since I have cruised on Carnival several times. He put me on hold for a while and then came back on the line and offered to refund the difference to my credit card, which was fine with me. But what the heck? Has anyone else gotten OBC recently? He said they quit doing that 3 months ago.

yes this is true

New policy several months ago

many threads about it also

Now you know for next time ;)

After you made your final payment you are out of luck!!!! no adjustments, no OBC now!!!

Yup, happened to me too. Very unhappy about the new terms. I booked a cruise last July for April, and the people booking now are getting better rates than I did. That is pure wrong. I have sent Carnival expressing displeasure in this new policy. As someone said, I know now for next time, but that policy wasn't in place when I booked, so I should have been taken care of. Just my opinion.

You didn't get the Memo either? It seems that all good things must come to an end, and so it is for the OBC for price reductions after the final payment. The good news is Carnival Stock (CCL) is selling at a really good price right now. You can get some OBC if you buy some. ;)

I was just really surprised. It does seem terribly wrong that a loyal Carnival customer couldn't get the same discount as a first-time customer who purchased after a rate drop. Seems like bad PR to me! Oh well, I am happy with the price and am just looking forwarding to heading out to sea with my DD, who is FINALLY graduating from College! (She was on the 5-year plan. LOL)

Yup, happened to me too. Very unhappy about the new terms. I booked a cruise last July for April, and the people booking now are getting better rates than I did. That is pure wrong. I have sent Carnival expressing displeasure in this new policy. As someone said, I know now for next time, but that policy wasn't in place when I booked, so I should have been taken care of. Just my opinion.

But I bet you wouldn't want to pay more if the prices goes up, sometimes you can't have your cake and eat it too. Also, if you book with the new Early Saver program, you can get a refund and/or OBC up until almost the last minute.

But I bet you wouldn't want to pay more if the prices goes up, sometimes you can't have your cake and eat it too. Also, if you book with the new Early Saver program, you can get a refund and/or OBC up until almost the last minute.

You can get a Refund with ESP, when did that happen? That's good news, Pass the word.

If the price went up, and they called you and asked for payment would you have paid it? If the answer is no then in my book it should go both ways.

Glad you did get your refund. That was kind of them to make exception.

Enjoy your cruise!

They stopped that nonsense as of 12/1/08...unless you book Early Saver rates, which are new.

No OBC or Refunds inside the penalty period. You are lucky you got someone to give you the refund.

Obviously, they did not stop it altogether, as the OP got the refund

Could be the agent [not a PVP] got confused when told that final payment was made and after checking found that the OP was not yet past final payment DUE DATE for a SHORT cruise?

What is the final payment due date on short cruises?

Dan

Could be the agent [not a PVP] got confused when told that final payment was made and after checking found that the OP was not yet past final payment DUE DATE for a SHORT cruise?

What is the final payment due date on short cruises?

Dan

The OP is within the 60 day window now. That is the final payment date on a short cruise. I think its 75 days on a 7 day cruise.

One of the reason I changed this cruise over from military to the ESRs. ESR was only $4 pp higher and I can get price adjustments almost until cruise time.

Hi poobears, If I book with military discount does that mean that I won't get any adjustments?

Hi poobears, If I book with military discount does that mean that I won't get any adjustments?

No adjustment once you are within the penalty period. Only people who book as Early Saver, which is pretty close to the military & Interline rate.

I certainly feel lucky getting the refund, after being informed of Carnival's new policy by all you posters. I was not aware of the new changes, as I haven't visited this site since our last cruise this past October. The ESP does sound like a good deal, though. Thanks for everyone's input!

I certainly feel lucky getting the refund, after being informed of Carnival's new policy by all you posters. I was not aware of the new changes, as I haven't visited this site since our last cruise this past October. The ESP does sound like a good deal, though. Thanks for everyone's input!

Early Saver has the best pricing... however you cannot do name changes.. it's a non-refundable deposit.. and if you want to change ships/sailing dates it costs $50 pp.

Early Saver has the best pricing... however you cannot do name changes.. it's a non-refundable deposit.. and if you want to change ships/sailing dates it costs $50 pp.

If you were to cancel because of a legitimate reason (serious sickness, etc, etc) and have insurance you can get your $$ back thru the insurance.

Archived