Cayo Levantado - How to get there from Samana?

familycruiserrr

I'd like to go to Cayo Levantado during our stop in Samana, however NCL charges $45 per person for the transfer from the ship to Cayo Levantado. Is there another way to get there from Samana? I know a few new resorts are now open on Cayo Levantado so am assuming there is another option for boats to Cayo Levantado.

We were there a few weeks ago on RCI and took the excursion but it was only around $25 each. There was a more expensive excursion that was $45 but it included a buffet lunch. Maybe that's what you're looking at? If so, you won't need the buffet. You can buy lunch on the island without spending the difference of $20.

I'd like to go to Cayo Levantado during our stop in Samana, however NCL charges $45 per person for the transfer from the ship to Cayo Levantado. Is there another way to get there from Samana? I know a few new resorts are now open on Cayo Levantado so am assuming there is another option for boats to Cayo Levantado.

Hello familycruiserr, To answer your question, there is no way to get to Cayo Levantado off of a NCL cruise without paying for a $45+ excursion price. Plus not sure if you want to go, because MSC Cruises uses Cayo Levantado as their private island and on the day we are there the MSC Orchestra is unloading around 3,000 passengers onto Cayo Levantado for free. In the past some people on these boards said they had taken the NCL tender to Samana and hired a boat to Cayo Levantado, but when they got to the island they were turned back by a guard at the pier.

There is another option for a beach in Samana; going to Playa Rincon with Casa Dorado. There is a link in my signature to get to the CC roll call for the Dawn on 3/28. We have a good size group and will have an un-offical get together at sailaway and an offical CC M&G with the officers on Sunday. Our roll call group has one group of 10 already going to Playa Rincon with Casa Dorado and I am trying to arrange another group of 10. The total cost (taxi & boat) is $260 (plus tip) for a group of up to 10. So if we get 10 then it is $26 p/p. Playa Rincon has been ranked one of the top 10 beaches in the world and #1 attraction on tripadvisor.com

If you interested come on over to our roll call and let Smooky know if you are coming to the Meet and Greet (name & total people). If your are interested in Playa Rincon, let me know, I have 3 so far and would like to get another 7. Check out this other CC thread about Playa Rincon:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=892812

I just checked MSC web site and the Orchestra will not be there for our excursion to cayo levantado (march 23). It will be there the following week as you stated. I'm just not happy that the weather report is showing clouds and rain for samana next week. Hope they're wrong!! We're on the NCL Dawn and I agree that $45/pp is alot of money, especially since you don't even get a lunch. People have told me that they pack snacks which they take from the ship. It's our first cruise, so we're new to all this!

Archived