motion sickness

jonorma

we are on dolphin deck d107 are we in for a rough ride in the bay of biscay when we travel on the grand princess in late april.:(

All the way towards the front of the ship, you may definitely feel a bit more motion. You can always go to a public area midship if you find the motion in your stateroom more than you can handle.

All depends on how rough the seas happen to be that day.

Bay of Biscay does have reputation for being rough on occasion. I've not been in the Bay of Biscay, so have no personal experience there.

The Tasman Sea also has a reputation for being rough, but it has been smooth the three times we've been on it.

We have been in some quite bad storms, particularly in the Tasman Sea where after 3 1/2 days we were only half way across what was supposed to have been a 2 day passage from Milford Sound, NZ to Hobart, Tasmania. Also been in the Bay of Biscay during the tail end of a hurricane.

Meclizine saved the day in both instances. But this medication requires about twelve hour prior to becoming effective, so if you're worried about rough seas making you seasick you should begin taking it at least twelve hours prior to the time of anticipated trouble.

There is no need to buy the trade name drug, Bonine. Just get the generic meclizine which works well and costs a whole lot less.

This is what puts me right off sailing from Southampton. It would be so much easier for us. Is it ALWAYS rough?

No it is not always rough. We always sail from Southampton and I guess in about 40 crossings,maybe 4 or 5 have been a bit bumpy and 1 was really rough. We always take travel sickness pills starting 12 hours before we sail just in case. We once sailed across in November and it was like a sheet of glass. I think it is just the luck of the draw. By the way you can't take the medication if you are driving!!!!

Coolgran

This is what puts me right off sailing from Southampton. It would be so much easier for us. Is it ALWAYS rough?

No it is not always rough. We always sail from Southampton and I guess in about 40 crossings,maybe 4 or 5 have been a bit bumpy and 1 was really rough. We always take travel sickness pills starting 12 hours before we sail just in case. We once sailed across in November and it was like a sheet of glass. I think it is just the luck of the draw. By the way you can't take the medication if you are driving!!!!

Coolgran

Thanks Coolgran. Hmm... that doesn't sound as bad as I expected. It would certainly be a lot easier than the long haul to Miami. I don't mind the ship's rolling movement at all and I didn't get sick on the Emerald. Quite a few did. What bothered me more was the juddering and vibration. In our cabin (caribe aft) the table lamps were vibrating like crazy. It reminded me more of bad turbulence in an aeroplane rather than ship's movement (and I hate turbulence) Made us uneasy and unrelaxed.

we are on dolphin deck d107 are we in for a rough ride in the bay of biscay when we travel on the grand princess in late april.:(

We have treavelled a few times through the bay and we have not had any problems. I am not the best person on water but even when the captain says it is rough i have not been affected .We always take a tablet before we sail and follow the instructions for the next day The people that we have come across that are ill are the ones that have not taken anything untill it is to late. In my opinion i was very surprised i expected the bay to be much worse as everyone tells you how bad it is .

Archived