Easy FLL questions

eastcoastman

First, there are so many suggestions for places to stay, our heads are spinning reading them all.

So, do you pro's suggest we stay down near the Port, beach, near airport, or other location? If so, why?

And what are the taxi rates or where can we find the taxi rates posted for FLL? We are a group of 6 and wanted to go to ship on our time and not hotel shuttle. We've read they don't always leave when you want them too.

Thanks

Everytime we have left from Port Everglades we have stayed at The Embassy Suites on 17th. It's only a 5 minute cab ride or you can have the conceriage(sp) add you to a shuttle. it's not the hotel shuttle it was 6.00 per person in Feb.

The Embassy has a great pool, the free manager's reception each evening & is also close to a shopping center should you need any last minute items.

Price wasn't the big problem, just comfort, and having places nearby that we can eat at that are good and/or even local. Most times the local places have the best food.

We were just wondering about cab rates cause there are 6 of us and I doubt the cab will accomodate all of us so we're most likely looking at 2 cabs. And the hotel shuttle doesn't always go when we want to go. :-)

The Embassy Suites has everything close by, restaurants, grocery store etc. They DO NOT use a hotel shuttle for going to the port but call a shared ride type place. We went down, told the concerige & within 5 minutes we were all loaded & on our way. They have taxis & the shared ride shuttles lined up on embarkation days. The shared ride & cabs are about the same price pp because it's so close to the pier about 6.00pp.

I always book on Embassy's web site, they are a Hilton family so I joined the point thing. I book on the site with the credit card hold rate & check a few times a week. Last time a year in advance the rate went from 369.00 down to 212.00 about a month before. When it went that low I booked the advance purchase. Up until then I would book the new then cancel the old.

Price wasn't the big problem, just comfort, and having places nearby that we can eat at that are good and/or even local. Most times the local places have the best food.

We were just wondering about cab rates cause there are 6 of us and I doubt the cab will accomodate all of us so we're most likely looking at 2 cabs. And the hotel shuttle doesn't always go when we want to go. :-)

If you want local, stay at the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas. It is a very nice 3 star non-chain hotel, surrounded by about 20 restaurants of some of the best chefs in Fort Lauderdale, and jeans and nice shoes/shirts are acceptable in most places. If you want a lower priced meal, try Big City Tavern, Smith & Jones, Mangos, The Briney, or Le Bonne Crepe. It is only 3-4 miles from the port entrance, maybe 5 miles from the ships. You can walk a mile either way and find lots to see along the way, take a river cruise, visit the Museum of Art, etc.

• 1 year later...
If you want local, stay at the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas. It is a very nice 3 star non-chain hotel, surrounded by about 20 restaurants of some of the best chefs in Fort Lauderdale, and jeans and nice shoes/shirts are acceptable in most places. If you want a lower priced meal, try Big City Tavern, Smith & Jones, Mangos, The Briney, or Le Bonne Crepe. It is only 3-4 miles from the port entrance, maybe 5 miles from the ships. You can walk a mile either way and find lots to see along the way, take a river cruise, visit the Museum of Art, etc.

We have a reservation for the Riverside and I was wondering if you knew what the cab fares are from FLL airport to hotel and then hotel to port. Also, is there a Starbuck near? We aren't arriving till very late 11:30 pm so just need a breakfast place and cabs!

Thanks in advance.

Taxis from the airport to the riverside should be about $25, and about 20 from the hotel to the port if you stay on the west of the intercoastal and about $25 from the hotel to the port via a1a (you won't see much of the beach going south from las olas to the 17th street bridge).

There are a few coffee shops around, but Starbucks may be a little further away. One, not walkable from the riverside but an easy stop in a cab (assuming the cabbie will let you drink) is federal highway around 11 court, east side (it may actually be on the corner of 12th (Davie) and federal highway (US1).

Taxis from the airport to the riverside should be about $25, and about 20 from the hotel to the port if you stay on the west of the intercoastal and about $25 from the hotel to the port via a1a (you won't see much of the beach going south from las olas to the 17th street bridge).

There are a few coffee shops around, but Starbucks may be a little further away. One, not walkable from the riverside but an easy stop in a cab (assuming the cabbie will let you drink) is federal highway around 11 court, east side (it may actually be on the corner of 12th (Davie) and federal highway (US1).

Is there a store near the hotel or port to buy soda and wine?

We have a reservation for the Riverside and I was wondering... is there a Starbuck near? We aren't arriving till very late 11:30 pm so just need a breakfast place and...Is there a store near the hotel or port to buy soda and wine?

Not to worry...There is a Starbucks on Las Olas about 2 blocks west and a CVS on N Federal Hwy about 3 blocks away. Have a great trip!

Not to worry...There is a Starbucks on Las Olas about 2 blocks west and a CVS on N Federal Hwy about 3 blocks away. Have a great trip!

THANKS!!!! I need my last Starbucks fix befroe we leave.:p Glad everytig is within walking distance which was my hope when booking down town vs. booking by airport.

The bridge over the 17th St. Causeway makes about a $3 difference is cab fares. Depends if it is down, then cheaper. If up, you wait. It seems to go up every 15 minutes. Of course this only applies to hotels on the other side of the bridge, the ocean side.

Archived