Extra tipping for bar drinks?

kiska

Often times I couldn't care less if I got served first, I'm at a bar/restaurant or on a cruise, what's the rush?!?!

I'd rather wait for a 'quality' drink. The problem is not all bar tenders are created equal and if I have the knowledge to be able to make a better cocktail than the bar tender serving, an extra tip doesn't make any difference.

I guess you have never been in a bar with patrons 10 deep at the counter.

Believe me when i tell you, the "quality" of your drink will not be as good as mine. LOL

Enjoy your savings!

I guess you have never been in a bar with patrons 10 deep at the counter.

Believe me when i tell you, the "quality" of your drink will not be as good as mine. LOL

Enjoy your savings!

10 deep?? Not in a long time, not even during Stampede. Table service is where it's at.

We often tip servers when we are sitting by the pool, at our favorite bar spot, room service, cookie folks, etc

We bring along a couple rolls of the new Dollar Coins :)

Always have some in my pocket and use them for tips -- we get some strange looks and at times have to explain what the coins are.

But believe me we are always remembered :)

(oh ya, the old guy with the funny money:D)

:)

We often tip servers when we are sitting by the pool, at our favorite bar spot, room service, cookie folks, etc

We bring along a couple rolls of the new Dollar Coins :)

Always have some in my pocket and use them for tips -- we get some strange looks and at times have to explain what the coins are.

But believe me we are always remembered :)

(oh ya, the old guy with the funny money:D

We did that last month and got exactly the same reaction. After the second day or so they were showing them to other crew members as they had never seen a U.S. dollar coin.

The last morning I left 5 on the breakfast table and they were beaming.:D

Mike:)

10 deep?? Not in a long time, not even during Stampede. Table service is where it's at.

LOL I guess you have never gone to the Sox at Fenway. The party starts way before the gates open.

Sometimes you have to wait 45 minutes at the bar before you can get a seat.

I know that the 15% gratuity is already included on all bar drinks, but I am wondering if it's customary to tip on top of that when getting drinks in the lounges in the evening? Or if any of you do it anyways, and if yes, how much?

Thanks in advance!

I always say if you want a TIP don't ask. That being said tipping is very personal and you have to do what feels right for you.

Most bars don't keep fresh mint on hand so its most likely they can't rather than won't.

The ships have tons of mint, I've seen it in the kitchen being prepared. They keep it pre-prepped in ice water.

I think the reality is they just don't know 'how' to make them.

The ships have tons of mint, I've seen it in the kitchen being prepared. They keep it pre-prepped in ice water.

I think the reality is they just don't know 'how' to make them.

I was talking about bars in general. You are right about bars on the ship though. There is no excuse for not being able to make one.

I hardly ever go above the 15% for drinks.... I find the bar servers are already sufficiently attentive on cruise ships, and I have never had to wait more than a minute to be approached for a drink order.

Once in a while if there is a server who goes above and beyond I may give a little extra.

While I have not been on a cruise(first one is april 12!!) , I have read that drinks with 15% tip are around $5.00-$7.00, that is about the price I pay for a drink when I go out before tip.

I assume that the bartenders on the ship will be no different than any bartender I have ever dealt with anywhere. Give a few nice tips upfront and you get stronger drinks and quicker service. From there on out give a decent tip here and there and they will remember you.

That is just how I deal with bartenders who I go out in crowded bars and always get stronger drinks and they will pour mine before others who have been waiting.

Absolutely true. Start on the first day by adding an extra dollar and the staff knows you very well. The drinks come faster and stronger.

We always tip a little extra and the servers really seem to appreciate it. Since we usually stop for a couple of drinks in the Wheelhouse bar each evening before dinner, the staff quickly learns our favorite drinks, they know us by name, and will chat with us for a few minutes during slower times. To us, part of the joy of a cruise is meeting new people, including employees. And the few dollars we spend in tips can mean a lot to some of these young people.

I usually write in a tip, but since I have learned that the extra money I tip my cabin steward goes into a pot it has me wondering if the extra tip I write in goes directly to the bartender? If you have a server who brings your drink do they split the tip with the bartender or is there a pot where everyone gets a cut?

Other than the dollar coins do you use cash for the extra tip?

-Janine

[quote name='Jac199']Other than the dollar coins do you use cash for the extra tip?

-Janine[/quote]

Absolutely! This is the first time we have carried the new dollar coins; but in the past I just hand my cruise card on top of a dollar to the bartender with my order and have never had a bad drink in 10 cruises.:)

Mike:)

Archived