Boarding in San Juan

I've never cruised out of SJU on RCI. Does anyone know if you're allowed to buy liquor duty free at the pier and carry it on? On Carnival they let you go right through security with it and take it to your cabin. I just wondered if RCI was the same?

You're allowed to buy it at the pier and carry it on... but then RCI will seize it as you do. You get it back on the second-to-last day of the cruise.

I cruised on the Adventure out of San Juan last week and that's exactly what happened to us -- don't believe the sign in the pier's duty free shop that tells you it's totally cool.

When we left from San Juan we checked in and then my husband returned to the duty free shop, bought a few things and returned to the ship with no problems. Apparently it's at the discretion of the security people and what mood they are in.....in the mood to stop and check and deal with the liquor or in the mood to sit back and not bother.:rolleyes:

When we were on Carnival they people at the duty free shops told us that if we put the liquor inside another carryon they would let us take it to our cabin but if we just had it in the bag they gave you at the duty free store that they would take it and that turned out to be correct. I was just wondering if RCI was the same. Thanks!

When we were on Carnival they people at the duty free shops told us that if we put the liquor inside another carryon they would let us take it to our cabin but if we just had it in the bag they gave you at the duty free store that they would take it and that turned out to be correct. I was just wondering if RCI was the same. Thanks!

When I was on Carnival you weren't allowed to bring booze on board. I think they duty free place was lying.

Don't believe most duty free shops, in terms of: bringing it on board ships, or bringing back thru customs allowances, or being able to fly with it. You will get whatever answer sells you the booze while it is still in your hand asking the question.

Archived