wine question-Ms Ryndam

Gizmo582

We are Californians and love wine!

I read somewhere that there is a wine pkg available-I think onboard of non-listed "left-over" wines from previous menus for great prices but can't find out how and cost.

Also does anyone know what the Bon Voage wines/champagne are-like country or vineyard? Is it actually champagne or sparkling wine? I can't find any info on the site to clarify this.

Also I read that there are wine tastings but again can't find schedules or fees.

TIA

Overall, HAL provides great value for their product. The one exception is in the wine department. I don't know of any wines at great prices on HAL and have never heard of the "leftover wines" you mention.

For our upcoming trip, I will bring a couple bottles from home, buy a couple in the dining room, and I pre-ordered a couple bottles of the Bon Voyage white wine, just to have in the cabin. I posted a like question as to what it was a week or two ago and had no response.

They used to have a very basic Chilean Chardonnay, Walnut Crest, which sells for well under $10 retail ashore. It was just fine and I think it was priced in the low $20s. No more, unless it is concealed as the Bon Voyage!

When do you leave on your cruise? If we get back before then I can report back on the BV wine.

Gary

We have sailed quite a bit -- on all ships except the Prinsendam -- have never heard of "left over wines".

We have done repostioning cruises, etc. -- HAL buys their wines through certain companies that they have contracts with.

We have never had any "left over wines" on any of crusies.

These wines may be available on ships that do the World cruises and/or segments.

The Prinsendam may have these wines -- but she also does only special cruises.

Our cruise is March 25 for 10 days. I think we'll pick up a case of wine & Champagne in San Diego and take on board and also fill in with the bon voyage seletions. Being in California we are spoiled by ecellent affordable wines. We are celebrating our birthdaysd and 35th anniversary on board. We do not drink cocktails so it is wine then and with dinner.

I appreciate any suggestions!

This "left-over" wine I think was called sommelier selection. Wish I had kept the info. I have been reading like crazy preparing for the trip-background port info and culinary highlights of th cruise. We are filming and writing a new series on Culinary Travel.

We will be getting onboard as you depart. This will be our third Sea of Cortez trip on Ryndam. Last trip we went by World Market in the Gas Lamp District and picked up a case of wine to bring onboard and that worked out nicely.

Gary

Are you on the same cruise? (Ms Ryndam 3-25)

Cost Plus/World Market is a good call! We're staying at the Marriott Gas Lamp for 5 days prior! Hopefully schleping luggage and wine from a cab is doable. Maybe I'll drop of SO and luggage and wine, turn in rental at the airport and taxi back to the ship-it's all so close but too far.

We stayed at the Marriot before our last San Diego cruise-it is very nice and convenient for walking. We are on the 4/4 departure just after your trip. Last time we walked over to World Market the day before the cruise and checked out the wine. Also went by the Wine Bank which is between the Marriot and WM. Then, the morning of the cruise we went by WM, bought our wine, had them tape it up in a cardboard box and hold it for us. We then picked it up on the way to the ship via cab. It is very easy-just put a luggage tag on the wine box and check it in with the porter with your bags and it will be in your cabin later in the day. We have done this many times and never had any breakage. I always tip the porter well.

Hope you have a great trip.

Gary

We flew from the Bay Area to San Diego on the morning of our Oosterdam cruise. At the airport, we gave our luggage over to the HAL people (for a fee) to have our luggage sent to the ship. We took a cab to Ralph's at 101 G Street which is about 1/2 to 2/4 mile from the ship. They had a good selection of California wines at really great pricing and at checkout we signed up for a Ralph's card that gave us 10% off each bottle (must buy 6 or more).

We walked to the ship but you could walk out and hail another cab to get to the ship.

Even with the $18 corkage fee, the price of a good California wine bought at a store is less expensive than the same wine on the HAL wine list.

Our daughter said we should have made reservation at the Marina Marriott. She said her last program the overflow was put up at the Gas Lamp. Then she said it was great for walking around. We'll stay put. We always get upgraded to the Club Floor which is nice. In Thailand we love the JW Marriott in BKK and have stayed there many times. Maybe it is our favourite hotel.

Your fortunate to be on the 4/4 cruise-great chef appearing in the Culinary Center! Work conflict made this the only date we could squeeze in for a cruise.

Archived