Paying to upgrade at pier

katt1

Some of the words were cut off of Radios posting in my last post. ;)

The regular Check In Counters at the Pier are for the Ships' Network(ex: Liberty of the Seas).

The Pier Coordinator will have a list of how many and what type of Cabins that were unbooked prior to the Sail date.

The pier coordinator is UNABLE to check in your Set Sail Pass. You must check in FIRST. . .then you can ask to speak to the Pier Coordinator.

The No-Shows (Customers who are booked, but never show up at the pier)are handle differently. . .

Those Upgrades may be purchased from the Guest Services Desk (Pursers Desk) However. . . those usually are at a much higher cost than the Pier Coordinator.

While the Ship is at the Pier. . .It belongs to Miami, and when the ship leaves the dock any upgrade would be a part of the Ship's Onboard Revenue. (profit ;) )

That's so interesting!

Do you know about princess, disney or holland america?

Also has anyone do this in Europe?:confused:

We just made Daimond + recently, so my question is, does Royal Caribbean call the Diamond + cruisers 20 days out and offer the upgrades or how do we find out if we are upgraded?? Has anyone received a Diamond + upgrade recently??

We were first in line for setsail passes on a cruise last spring, but when we asked about upgrades and if we could speak to the pier coordinator, the employees basically rolled their eyes and said the ship was full. We had checked three days out, and there were several open cabins. Every ship we've been on lately has the sign up at guest relations stating the ship is full and no cabin changes or upgrades.

Has anyone received an upgrade in the last year from a pier coordinator?? If so, which ship and what upgrade??

We just made Daimond + recently, so my question is, does Royal Caribbean call the Diamond + cruisers 20 days out and offer the upgrades or how do we find out if we are upgraded?? Has anyone received a Diamond + upgrade recently?

The D+ desk gets the list just 14 days prior to departure. They start calling the names on the list from the highest credits first and on down the list till all available upgrades or D+ers used-up. We just got an upgrade on the Sept 19 Enchantment, but we call them rather than waiting to be called since we are out of town. This was suggested on another thread and it seems to work - at least until too many people start doing it. You will not be upgraded automatically; if they cannot reach you they skip by to the next on the list.

The D+ desk gets the list just 14 days prior to departure. They start calling the names on the list from the highest credits first and on down the list till all available upgrades or D+ers used-up. We just got an upgrade on the Sept 19 Enchantment, but we call them rather than waiting to be called since we are out of town. This was suggested on another thread and it seems to work - at least until too many people start doing it. You will not be upgraded automatically; if they cannot reach you they skip by to the next on the list.

Just curious - Does anyone know, if the 14-day mark falls on a Sunday, do the calls start then or are they typically only done during the work week? :confused:

We're Diamond Plus and have never been upgraded or received any call. It seems to me the majority of the people who receive the upgrades are the Gold and Platinum members. I would think the upgrades would be reserved for those who have shown the cruise line the most loyalty be apparently that's not Royal's way of thinking. We just book the stateroom we want without ever expecting any upgrades.

We're Diamond Plus and have never been upgraded or received any call. It seems to me the majority of the people who receive the upgrades are the Gold and Platinum members. I would think the upgrades would be reserved for those who have shown the cruise line the most loyalty be apparently that's not Royal's way of thinking. We just book the stateroom we want without ever expecting any upgrades.

We always use the "book the stateroom you want" plan too. That way, the ONE time we did get a call for an upgrade (last August on the Freedom-moved from a D1 to a GS!), it was just a little added kick.:)

RayJacki--Keeping in mind that C&A can provide a different answer every time you talk to them, I was told that the D+ upgrade calls would go out on a work day (Monday) if the ship sailed on a Sunday. Once, we weren't home when we got the call, and the message gave us a specific amount of time before they moved down the list to call someone else. Can't remember exactly but it seems it was a few hours, at least. In our experience, it very much depends on the popularity of the cruise and how many D+ people with more seniority are aboard. Also, in my experience, stateroom type seems to make a difference in how you are upgraded. We'd booked a D1 and were told we could have a JS, when we booked a JS, we were offered an OS.

Lately, I've been seeing a lot of Guarantee offers at really low prices in the week or so before possible upgrades. I imagine that's why all those available cabins seem to vanish a day or so before the calls should go out.

I don't even call this an upgrade but,

In 27 cruises we were offered an upgrade once while booking on another Cruise line. There were no ships with all the balconies at the time.

The "upgrade" was to go from our mid ship, deck 3 outside cabin, to a bow point porthole cabin next to the anchor. Cost of upgrade had a book value of a $10.00 difference. Of course we turned it down. :rolleyes:

We book our cabins to stay there and never expect, nor want an upgrade. ;)

Just pick the cabin you want and pay for it right away. :D

• 2 weeks later...
We're sailing on EOS from Cape Liberty next week. Does Cape Liberty have a pier coordinator?

Thanks in advance...

yeah. It was kind of in the middle of the fray the last time I sailed from there. The check-in people can point you in the right direction. And, FYI (and this was on Explorer) there were actually a number of JSs available on this cruise, but nothing higher than that. However, since I already had a nice central JS, it did me no good.

That's so interesting!

Do you know about princess, disney or holland america?

Also has anyone do this in Europe?:confused:

I did it in Copenhagen for our Vision of the seas cruise. We had booked an OV but wanted to upgrade to a suite since I knew there was many unsold JS and GS available.

I asked the Pier Coordinator and he said I had to ask onboard at the guest relations. I did and was told my them that the ship was fully booked. I knew the ship wasnt fully booked!! Guest relations also told me to check at the pier!!!

Guest relations said an upgrade from a OV to balcony was $300 and to a suite it was $600.

I went back to the pier coordinator and told him what guest relations had told me.

I did get the upgrade at an amount inbetween an OV and Suite after waiting for a loooong time. I had to wait for the guest service manager to arrive the pier to change the cabin and our seapasses.

I dont think they where happy about it but...........

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Where is the Port Coordinator located at the RCI pier in San Pedro? I'd love to surprise my DW with an upgrade from Balcony to something even nicer. It's our first cruise together, and sort of our anniversary/vacation rolled into one.

Where is the Port Coordinator located at the RCI pier in San Pedro? I'd love to surprise my DW with an upgrade from Balcony to something even nicer. It's our first cruise together, and sort of our anniversary/vacation rolled into one.

Since you have to check in before you can visit the pier coordinator's station.....I would just ask where it is located at check in. There's not really any way to make it a surprise at departure unless you purchase an upgrade pre-cruise. :)

Archived