Ovepacking nightmare!

I am going to take the suggestion of putting a few lysol wipes in a ziplock...sure will save room and weight.

Also, how many travel size bottle of shampoo and conditioner will we need for a 7 day cruise for 2. We wash hair daily.

I am a serious overpacker and plan to scale way back as we are flying to our next cruise. I am hoping to pack both dh and I in one huge suitcase with 2 carryons....I want to be able to do self debarkation, as we have an early flight home.

Also, how many travel size bottle of shampoo and conditioner will we need for a 7 day cruise for 2. We wash hair daily.

Depends how long your hair is and if you use more then the "quarter size" portion that they say you need to use. I say 2 of each would be more then enough for both of you. I always wash my hair and shower at night before dinner, since it is always a mess with the salt air, winds and the pool. Plus I'm just not a morning person.

Good luck Cassie. I have been dreaming about packing :confused: I do not mind the unpacking on the ship...but packing the last day and shoving all of it back in..You know everything doubles in size..and you are tired and cranky because you have to leave the ship. I usually bicker with my dh and dd..and then bringing it all home and it gets dumped into piles and then poof..my family is gone...I turn into a really biotch then...yikes! LPT:cool:

We pack undies, DH's undershirts, bathing suits etc in jumbo 2.5 gal hefty zip loc bags, sqeeze air out and put them in suitcase. That save lots of room! When unpacking, we just put bags on the closet shelf and use them from the bag. We take extra jumbo bags and as we dirty our clothes we put them in the bags, when full, squeeze all the air out and start a new one, then when packing to go home we have bags already to put in luggage. It saves lots of time and at home the bags go to the laundry room next to the washer until I find time to start laundry. No fuss, no big piles! It has worked for our 3 cruises and also for other trips.

Ok this is not my first cruise..More like my 14th. I always overpack. For instance we leave on Saturday and I think we will have 11 bags for the three of us. I have one bag full of shoes. Sometimes my feet swell and I need options, In both brown and black. Assorted flip flops in different colors as well. As far as clothing, I am a what the mood strikes me at the time kinda gal. So I am packing four fancy outfits and a plethera of casual. I do not know how to pare down. Funny thing is my teen daughter gets all of hers in one bag and a carry on. Except for her nice dresses. I overpack for dh as well. I really do not want to do laundry. We have a suite on the Sapphire and get free laundry, but most of our stuff cannot go into the dryer. Do they have dry cleaning available on the Sapphire now. I have heard conflicting reports. I guess I am just venting because the packing and schleping it all gets on my nerves. The worst is the unpacking and cleaning when we get home. LPT:eek:

I understand the overpacking thing. I do it myself. Also understand the feet swelling thing. What I have learned is to pack only open toed shoes. Do not pack any closed toe shoes(other than tennis shoes). I can't tell you how often I take them and never wear them. That should cut some of your packing down. Also skip the packing of the hangers. Your cabin steward can get you a bunch if you need them. Remember think light as possible. Same goes for bathroom stuff, go to trial sizes. All of this should cut down on some of the bulk in your suitcase. Hope this helps.

Shawn

I also pack with the large 2 1/2 gallon zippy bags and just take the bag out and put it on the shelf or in a drawer.

Last cruise after I wore a piece of clothing it went directly into my suitcase which I had slid under the bed. On the last night the only thing left in my closet was what I was wearing off the ship. It worked wonderfully.:D

Archived