Question for Dutch re Pier 91

MrsMuir

First of all, DBA (if I may call you that), congratulations on your successful blog. Being a bit behind in the world of blogging, I couldn't figure out how to contact you via your blog, so I'm using this wonderful forum. There are other Seattle-area CCers, so this may be the best way, anyway. My question:

Is the Seattle HAL office going to have a welcoming event when the first HAL ship comes in to the new Pier 91 on April 24? It would sure be nice if some of us local Mariners could hitch a ride and join in the festivities. I mapped a route using just my feet and also by transit from my workplace at Union Station to Pier 91, and it's 3.9 miles one way, including 22 minutes of circuitous walking just to get onto the pier -- even if using the bus!

Please see if there's any way we loyal Mariners could work something out for that day. Maybe the new Mariner director has some ideas? Thanks for any help you can come up with.

Great idea if HAL could pull it off. It would really give us locals and good look at the new cruise terminal and be able to provide first hand knowledge. Might be a little too late in the stage to put together something but it was still a great question.

I spoke with a connection I have in PR today and was advised that there isn't an event planned "at this time." She mentioned that they expect some media will likely be there. First ship arrival of 2009 and first ever ship at the new facility after all, but she doesn't anticipate anything along the lines of what you have mentioned.

However, on the plus side, is the fact that at the very least, you know that PR has heard your thoughts and it could always get the creative juices flowing...

And at the very least, if you look at my signature, I'll almost definitely (according to current availability of the cruise) be there that day and unless prohibited for some reason I'll be happy to take photos of the new launching pad.

(The reason I mention "unless prohibited" is because a couple of times when taking a picture of the ships at Terminal 30 from outside the terminal I was asked if I had taken a photo, then the security staff asked to watch me as I deleted it. And while I can understand the concern, it's a sign of the way the world is there days with anything that can be considered a "target." But like I said, if I can, you better believe I will :) )

A thought has come to me -- wouldn't it be a hassle for people getting off the ship and those waiting to get on the ship to have visitors there at the same time?

Or am I missing something here?

I see your point. A large contingent of HAL folks and/or Mariners could create a log jam. I was envisioning just a handful of people, off to the side and out of the way. When I walked to the old terminal on Fridays, I deferred to passengers and cars and suitcases and porters, but I was just one medium-sized person. Just a harmless local in a HAL t-shirt, gazing at the Zaandam and later the Amsterdam through the chain link fence. On my way back I did wish a few passengers "Fair winds and a following sea."

Dutch, thanks for the fast reply. Let's hope that there's enough room outside the new terminal for some kind of celebration, and that you can capture it -- and the ship -- for the rest of us.

Mrs Muir, HAL Groupie

A thought has come to me -- wouldn't it be a hassle for people getting off the ship and those waiting to get on the ship to have visitors there at the same time?

Or am I missing something here?

LOL! I'll admit I was thinking the same thing, Krazy Kruiser! Of course that could be because I just booked this sailing!

Archived