Stop in Cartagena?

Slinkiecat

We have a scheduled port stop in Cartagena, Colombia, on our next cruise, and I am becoming worried about HAL continuing to use this port. Not only has their president, Uribe, had an assassination attempt on him there, but last week our own President Bush was the planned subject of an assassination attempt when he was in Cartagena. Fortunately, no attempt was made that any mention is made in the news, but the fact that it is a very dangerous place, and probably more dangerous for Americans than other foreigners, is disturbing.

One could say, "Just stay on the ship when you get to that port." However, we will be at sea more days than we will have port stops so I really don't like to skip any ports unnecessarily.

Is anybody else scheduled for this port? What are you doing?

Slinkie

:) We stopped there a couple of years ago. Just stay with your group, and there should be no problems. You will notice several guards in uniform, but, it is a wonderful old city, and should not be missed. I believe that the port was omitted from cruising for a short time, but, it had nothing to do with hostilities to cruisers, it was a political move. 'Go with the flow', and enjoy!:) john taylor

We stopped there a few years ago and took a city tour which we hated. At one point, when we stopped at one of the sites we stayed on the bus and street vendors were shoving their hands inside the windows to get us to buy their wares. The poverty is unbelievable and it made us feel sad for the people, but uncomfortable with their aggressiveness. The next time we stopped there, we got off the ship, but stayed within the gates of the port. At least we were off of the ship for a while. However, if you really want to see the port, take a ship sponsored land excursion, stay with the group, and you should be fine. Enjoy the rest of your ports and cruise!

Thank you both for your replies, and I do feel somewhat reassured. I know security is very good in the terminal, and I assume the excursions have experienced guides. I certainly don't want to stay on board and miss a good educational experience.

Slinkie

We have been there several times - including on HAL ships. The first couple of times we did tours - stay with your group and don't wonder off. Do the ships tours - don't book any on your own.

There is a shuttle that stops right at the ship and will take you to the gate where there is only 1 shop left.

I wish HAL and all cruise lines would stop going there.

We too stopped there 4 years ago on a Celebrity cruise. We got a taxi and an interpreter right there at the port. They were AMAZING - a man and his sister. She spoke beautiful English and asked us what we wanted to do. She was wonderful. Told us all kinds of facts, funny stories about her family and tourist stuff too. She asked if we wanted a private tour of an emerald shop - I told her I was just not big into jewelery and she said she thought our 8 year old son might like it. Oh my gosh, we stopped at a place that had barb wire in front and I was in a panic. We went it though and little men were polishing and grinding jewels in a back room. Beautiful girls worked the showroom. No one else was there. My son was doted on, my hubby was fascinated and I actually ended up with a little, very inexpensive bracelet that I cherish. We also visited the walled old city, a school (for my son to see) and ate lunch at a tiny place one of their relatives owned. The food was so traditional and so good. We 3 loved this stop. Yes there were armed guards, yes there were many bombed out buildings, yes there were many kids begging on the streets. Just stay with your crowd, do not wander and you will be fine.

Being in law enforcement, I vehemently object to any cruise line stopping at the port, as the fees most assuredly wind up in the coffers of the reigning cocaine cartel. Government proclamations notwithstanding, the ongoing civil war is predicated upon which side will gain control over the country's primary cash crop. I don't even buy Colombian coffee (I order mine on line, and my favorite is grown in Nicaragua). I hate to be a fatalist; but the possibility of some crazed rebel armed with an AK-47 .... It just doesn't make any sense to stop there ... and be the only cruise line still doing so.

Al

I hate to disagree with the previous post, but I'm also in Law enforcement, and I don't want to punish the people of that country who depend on these tourist dollars for their livelyhood, when the vast majority are powerless to stop the cartels responsible for the crime.

I've stopped here several times and agree with many who said ... stay with your group and you can enjoy a beautiful country with a long rich history. You will be safe if you don't wander off on your own.

The problem with the drugs and corruption are cartels that are much like the old mafia was in the US. They are responsible for the crime, drugs, corruption, etc. To avoid their country because of the cartels would have been like punishing all Americas back during the days of the mafia..... why? :cool:

Simply put, it's because the cartels control the country. Unlike organized crime here (save the for Roaring '20's) government officials do what they're told down there, or else ... and ask any local farmer, who's paid 100 times what he'd earn to grow "legitimate" crops, where his loyalty lies. Tourist dollars are an insignificant component, especially since the State Department has issued a warning to travelers about visiting Colombia. It's apples and oranges (or carrots and coca). The last place I'd want to visit is one where there's a civil war going on, especially one with such a bounty. Additional time in Aruba would be just fine for me.

Al

My husband is from Colombia and won't even go there to visit family anymore. My mother-in-law still goes once a year and has asked us repeatedly in the past to go with her, but not anymore. Also, many companies won't even allow their employees to travel there for business, and many life insurance companies won't pay if, God forbid, something should happen there because of the State Department warning.

I agree that it's a beautiful place, but the risks are very high. Go with caution.

(Incidentally, I'm not prone to paranoia and I'm not an alarmist by nature. I personally just don't find it worth the risk when there are so many other wonderful places in the world to see.)

Archived