Kids activitites without joining "Kids Club"

officerswife

First of all, you don't really join a club, per se. The older kids can come and go as they please and pick and choose what activities they want to try. As far as activities they can do without going with the group, it all depends on what ship you're on. Some ships offer much more than others. For example, some ships offer in line skating tracks, ice skating, rock climbing walls, miniature golf, basketball courts, a video arcade and of course, the swimming pools. They don't have to be a part of the kids groups in order to do those things. But, if you're on an older ship that doesn't have all those things, or a line that doesn't cater as much to families, then the activities are fairly limited.

Carnival does have a few family activities--like a Family Team Scavenger Hunt. But, anything that involves the kids only will be through the Camp Carnival.

Both our kids love Camp Carnival--so hopefully yours will too! It doesn't cost anything to sign them up for it, so you should definitely do so. Then, after they've checked out the schedule of events, they can decide what they want to participate in. They should at least try it once though...

CeleBrat

Our DD (now 13YO) has always taken advantage of the kids club and their activities. We've been on a couple of shore excursions where she makes an aquintance of another kid her age who she does not recognize from kid's activities -- most of the time these kids are of the opinion that the kids club is "day care". DD sets them straight and invites them to join her that afternoon or evening -- those kids that take her up on the offer all end up loving the program (we've sailed RCCI, NCL, and Princess).

My point is to make certain that your kids seriously consider the kids program -- it is NOT babysitting, it is NOT day care, it is NOT camp, and it is NOT jusst "busy" time. Make certain to make arrangements with your kids that if they are trying out the program (and they are of an age where they cannot come/go as they please) that you will check in on them and give them the option of opt'ing out if they are not enjoying themselves. it's never happened that way for us, but it gave her security to try.

The programs all tend to publish their activities lists, so the kids can pick and choose what they want to do. Most of the kids programs have benefits that we mere mortal adults cannot partake of -- my DD has gone on tours of the galley, the bridge, has met the captian, and has worked on a project with the environmental officer; there are times when certain areas are closed to everyone other than the kids programs (mini golf, swimming pools, climbing walls, ice, etc.) -- so they get to skip the lines.

For teens, the programs are far less structured and primarily offer them the opportunity to meet and hang out (although on NCL, the teen program had things like sumo wrestling - in those big foam suits; and several other very funky possibilities).

Go with an open mind.

Depending on what cruise ship you are on, we have experienced activities where they only let 18 and up join in--like pool games and such. We usually try to include our 11 year olds in on fun games like Scattagories and Pictionary and Trivia although sometimes they are not much help. We have always done the family scavenger hunts together, but my kids have always checked out the kids room first, made friends and then they pick and choose what they want to do. They are now 12, but have been going on cruises for the last 3 years. How old are the children? If they go to the first day of the kids club, they usually have a meet and greet type activity. The kids tend to make a few friends which they hang out with throughout the cruise and email afterwards. It's worth them trying it out (if age appropriate) and then go from there. There is usually a ping pong table and the pool to keep them busy.

Depending on what cruise ship you are on, we have experienced activities where they only let 18 and up join in--like pool games and such. We usually try to include our 11 year olds in on fun games like Scattagories and Pictionary and Trivia although sometimes they are not much help. We have always done the family scavenger hunts together, but my kids have always checked out the kids room first, made friends and then they pick and choose what they want to do. They are now 12, but have been going on cruises for the last 3 years. How old are the children? If they go to the first day of the kids club, they usually have a meet and greet type activity. The kids tend to make a few friends which they hang out with throughout the cruise and email afterwards. It's worth them trying it out (if age appropriate) and then go from there. There is usually a ping pong table and the pool to keep them busy.

Good advice, definitely check out the kids club on the first day when you can meet everyone and see what the club has to offer. This is the only day that parents are allowed in to look around and for kids to see if they might like it. Usually this is all it takes to get them interested and excited to go back.

Our DD (now 13YO) has always taken advantage of the kids club and their activities. We've been on a couple of shore excursions where she makes an aquintance of another kid her age who she does not recognize from kid's activities -- most of the time these kids are of the opinion that the kids club is "day care". DD sets them straight and invites them to join her that afternoon or evening -- those kids that take her up on the offer all end up loving the program (we've sailed RCCI, NCL, and Princess).

My point is to make certain that your kids seriously consider the kids program -- it is NOT babysitting, it is NOT day care, it is NOT camp, and it is NOT jusst "busy" time. Make certain to make arrangements with your kids that if they are trying out the program (and they are of an age where they cannot come/go as they please) that you will check in on them and give them the option of opt'ing out if they are not enjoying themselves. it's never happened that way for us, but it gave her security to try.

The programs all tend to publish their activities lists, so the kids can pick and choose what they want to do. Most of the kids programs have benefits that we mere mortal adults cannot partake of -- my DD has gone on tours of the galley, the bridge, has met the captian, and has worked on a project with the environmental officer; there are times when certain areas are closed to everyone other than the kids programs (mini golf, swimming pools, climbing walls, ice, etc.) -- so they get to skip the lines.

For teens, the programs are far less structured and primarily offer them the opportunity to meet and hang out (although on NCL, the teen program had things like sumo wrestling - in those big foam suits; and several other very funky possibilities).

Go with an open mind.

Taking our children on their first cruise in May. Not sure if they would want to sign up for the Kids Club. If they don't will there be activities for them to do or do they have to be part of the Kids Club to do them?

Onessa gave an accurate assessment. Don't know how old your kids are, but my daughter was on Carnival at ages 23 months (too young to join in), 3 years and 4 years. She had a blast. She was also on Princess cruises at age 5, 7, and 8, and each time participated in the kids' program.

On the first night, there is an orientation for the parents and kids. You'll get the info packet as well as a day by day listing of the activities, that start the next day. It's totally free, except for any kidsitting (post 10pm, there's an hourly charge, the kids watched movies and play with video games -- usuallly just kids in the youngest group don't mind; Carnival might also charge for port kidsitting, Princess doesn't). I do know that every morning, my child will ask, as soon as she woke up, when does "ship's school" start (that was her cute name for it)?

There's a variety of activities such as arts and crafts, junior olympics, scavenger hunts, kids' dinners (a portion of one of the dining rooms is closed for a "private party"), "coketail parties" in the disco. Some activities are for families to do together (cookie decorating, karoake). You do need to sign up your child the first night in order for them to join in for any of these.

The kids can come whenever the place is open (the place is closed for most meals), but they can skip to go swimming with their parents or participate in "adult" activities such as trivia or dance lessons. And many of the night time entertainment is ok for kids to attend if they wish (my child has enjoyed the big production shows since her first cruise).

In a couple of years (I hope), we'll go on our next cruise and my girl will be in the teen group:o, so I know she'll want to meet the other teens onboard and hang.

One thing to note is that in mid-May, there may not be a lot of kids of school age onboard. Many school districts get out in late May or later. And with snow days pushing back the end of the school year, it's more likely later.

Encourage your kids to take part with the others....they'll have soooooo much fun! Once they see what the other kids are doing, they'll want to be a part of it! If you have older kids, they'll most likely spend their days checking out the opposite sexes at the pool!

My boys (9 & 11) went to some Camp Carnival things & at other times opted to sign themselves out & do other things. They made friends though with other boys their age & so usually when they werent in Camp Carnival, they were up playing mini golf or basketball or swimming or playing chess (for some reason they really liked playing those big chess pieces - go figure) with their new friends. They also would go to the trivia or games offered on board that adults could attend as well. They liked this because they wanted to win those Carnival prize medals :)

Archived