Seabourn CEO, Other Execs Look at New-Builds, Lower Costs

TLCOhio

From a March 18, 2009 posting on the Seatrade.com website that has "insider news" on the cruise lines, they had some of the news highlights from speeches today by key industry insiders, including the head of Seabourn.

With the headline of "Will all those upscale ships get built?", the lead paragraph said:

"The economic situation has curtailed plans for some luxury newbuilds but is also leading to lower pricing for potential orders, said panelists at Wednesday’s upscale cruising session at Cruise Shipping Miami."

Also featured were these comments: " ‘I’m very relieved to be a part of Carnival Corp., which is financing that €900m investment,’ said Pamela Conover, president of The Yachts of Seabourn, referring to her brand’s three newbuilds. Seabourn Odyssey arrives this summer and two more ships will enter service by 2011. Conover added: ‘I’m very glad I don’t have to be out in the markets right now [trying to secure financing].’ "

From Crystal CEO Gregg Michel, he seconded the view of the Silversea President that prices are coming down, and said the cost of components are sinking, too. "There will be opportunity," Michel said. "With any luck, the dollar will continue to gain some strength."

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived