New to Cruising - Boudicca 9th April 09

motorcar48

New to cruising any hints would be helpful.

17 day trip how many formal nights will there be.

Can I get a Tux cleaned on board (is it expensive) or am I better of with a suit.

Is there a laundry service, cost?

:confused: but :)

New to cruising any hints would be helpful.

17 day trip how many formal nights will there be.

Can I get a Tux cleaned on board (is it expensive) or am I better of with a suit.

Is there a laundry service, cost?

:confused: but :)

Hi motorcar,

Jut received our tickets today and it states 4 formal nights, 1 British night, 1 carribean night and 1 country and western. We've not been Fred Olsen before but from what I have read on these boards they do seem to be more formal than a lot of the other lines with people dressing up quite smartly even on the none formal nights.

Hope this helps, but I'm sure you will be getting your tickets and info through any time if they haven't already arrived.

Just need the 9th to hurry up and get here now. :D

curlywurly

Thanks Curlywurly

Like you read the forums, we were just after a bit of first hand knowledge, like to get it right

Looking out of the window for the postman

Its 1615620 seconds - not that we are counting or as the grand kids would say 'are we there yet'

Motorcar

countdown.pl?name=Motorcar48&date=4-9-2009&image=Beach-8&text=&ship=Boudicca

Thanks Curlywurly

Like you read the forums, we were just after a bit of first hand knowledge, like to get it right

Looking out of the window for the postman

Its 1615620 seconds - not that we are counting or as the grand kids would say 'are we there yet'

Motorcar

countdown.pl?name=Motorcar48&date=4-9-2009&image=Beach-8&text=&ship=Boudicca

And I thought I was bad counting down the days. Hadn't quite got it down to the seconds yet! :D

hi

we are also on this trip. have been on the boudicca before.The restaurant is a bit more formal than other ships.

The rest of the nights semi formal and casual

Formal tux or dark suit

Semi formal shirt and tie no jacket or jacket no tie needed

casual smart dress

flying from stanstead , can not wait as this is our first translantic.

steve

hi

Ours have just arrived in the post today (monday) after comming from our t.a. If you need any info on the ship or fred olsen plese come back and i,ll try to help. We are staying at the raddison next to the airport and leaving the car there good deal for the night and 14 days parking 105.00.

Hope we have a safe journey and pleasant flight

steve

Steve

Both you and Curlywurly have your tickets, hopefully ours will arrive tomorrow.

Staying at Great Hallingbury Manor, about 2 miles away

Are your number of days parking okay, thought we are at sea 17 days?

Any info you think would be beneficial, gratefully received

David :(

countdown.pl?name=motorcar48&date=4-9-2009&image=Beach-10&text=&ship=Boudicca

yes

The package like all hotel and park are on 14 days , we have to pay the extra 3 days but i found this to be the best deal and its only 2 mins walk from reception to the terminal by covered walkway.

As its an early start i find that, there,s no hassle in the morning up and away and into the terminal, breakfeast and onboard.

Ship is small but friendly. Food in restaurant good , self service small but does have themed nights , indian mexican chinese, you do have to book.

Breakfeast we usually eat in the rest choice of self service or waiter service, lunch is the same in the rest on both of these you wait to be seated but at night you have your table assigned.Special afternoon tes , cakes to die for. Meals weather permiting on outside decks

entertainment quizzes 3 times a day dance lessons shows twice nightly , crew show very good , dance group not quite west end but entertaining.

Guest artists depends on who you get, we have lucky, had good comedy and singers in the past. They have the usual veg/ice carvings , very talented people.

Cabins are on the small size compared with the bigger co/s like cunard and princess. As you only sleep in them , it,s not so bad.

If you want any specific details please let us know

steve

In response to the first post I have contact the Boudicca and they have informed me that the cost to dry clean a jacket and trouser set currently £8.00 (this is correct as of 24/03/09 and subject to availability).

Regards

Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines, Head Office, Ipswich

hi to you both

have you registered on their website, you can get all your info on there, restaurant that you are in, confirmed excursions booked etc

steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info. I found and registered in the "My Cruise" section a couple of weeks ago. It was nice to see in black and white that we were actually booked on board. Kept hoping each time I logged on that our cabin number would climb a few decks curtesy of the upgrade fairy, but alas it seems she wasn't smilling on us this time. :)

Sounds from your description like we will all have a great time. It must be good if you are going back again.

cheers

Curly

did ring fred to see if we could rise to a better grade, alas there are no cabins left only singles. It seems that it is a full ship from suites to outside cabins.Yes its our third trip on her , each company has there own stamp on cruising, freds is a british traditional way of life , quiet not money making and in your face as some are

steve

In response to the first post I have contact the Boudicca and they have informed me that the cost to dry clean a jacket and trouser set currently £8.00 (this is correct as of 24/03/09 and subject to availability).

Regards

Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines, Head Office, Ipswich

To Fred's Office

Thank you for taking the time to find out and answer my question, good to see you monitor these sites.

Little things make a difference - good customer service

Regards

David :)

yes

The package like all hotel and park are on 14 days , we have to pay the extra 3 days but i found this to be the best deal and its only 2 mins walk from reception to the terminal by covered walkway.

As its an early start i find that, there,s no hassle in the morning up and away and into the terminal, breakfeast and onboard.

Ship is small but friendly. Food in restaurant good , self service small but does have themed nights , indian mexican chinese, you do have to book.

Breakfeast we usually eat in the rest choice of self service or waiter service, lunch is the same in the rest on both of these you wait to be seated but at night you have your table assigned.Special afternoon tes , cakes to die for. Meals weather permiting on outside decks

entertainment quizzes 3 times a day dance lessons shows twice nightly , crew show very good , dance group not quite west end but entertaining.

Guest artists depends on who you get, we have lucky, had good comedy and singers in the past. They have the usual veg/ice carvings , very talented people.

Cabins are on the small size compared with the bigger co/s like cunard and princess. As you only sleep in them , it,s not so bad.

If you want any specific details please let us know

steve

Steve

Thanks for the info

A little concerned all this talk about food and cakes to die for, some people have a figure to look after.

Begining to get good vibes from you and others, looking forward to this cruise

Still not got tickets

David

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info. I found and registered in the "My Cruise" section a couple of weeks ago. It was nice to see in black and white that we were actually booked on board. Kept hoping each time I logged on that our cabin number would climb a few decks curtesy of the upgrade fairy, but alas it seems she wasn't smilling on us this time. :)

Sounds from your description like we will all have a great time. It must be good if you are going back again.

cheers

Curly

Curly/Steve

Like a sponge soaking up the info, as instructed found and went on Fred's web site in 'My Cruise', our details are in there, less worried about tickets.:)

Booked this April last year even then there was limited availability, wait listed for balcony at the time - nothing. Tried to get a cabin upgrade about 3 weeks ago nothing available.

As you said its pretty full, from your expierience is this the norm.

cheers

David

Hi david

I booked 21/3 08 and was lucky that it was the first brochure out , managed to get a balcony cabin at a very good rate and have my choice as some have restricted views, I usually either book over a year in advance or last minute.

Cabins have teasmade /kettle in them you get biscuits to, unless they have run out. Tip of the day, if you do not like those plastic portions of milk ,order room service last thing at night, a glass of fresh milk it keeps until the next day.

were old and we order hot chocolate before bed, some people do not know that you can still get room service at that time.

As the saying goes come on as a passenger and leave as cargo. Translantic,s are becomming very poular because of the prices are so cheap, i booked royal caribean voyager of the seas going next nov at the same time 1,200 each bal cabin e2 grade inc flights barcelona to galveston, if you dont mind a lot of sea days there the thing at the moment .On the rcl board people are booking for 2010 nov translantic,s, there are over 200 people already registered for the meet and mingle next nov , all american mostly texans

steve

Hi Steve

We booked a month later almost to the day, no balcony cabins left, had a choice of 3 outside B's or inside & suits.

The attraction to us was we did'nt fancy flying both ways, some time in the carabean, chill out time during the crossing, canaries, spain and back to southampton and we live an hour away.

This being our first one we'll see how we enjoy it before making a decision on future bookings.

We also have a caravan and enjoy touring europe. Unfortunately still working so holidays a little restricted, can't do everything.

Whats a meet & mingle?

David

PS. Still no tickets.

Hi david

are your tickets through a ta or direct with fred?

I guess you booked a superior outside, they are bigger then a balcony.

We have two static,s (caravans) at butlins skegness so you get used to confined spaces.Once cruised you will be like us hooked , translantics are a good way to start you off.

A meet and mingle is you sign up on these boards on your cruise and then they have a party if there is more than 25, they supply soft drinks and raffle prizes and gifts, nuts etc

We went on cunard queen vic in november and one of the americians we were conversing , was upgraded to the top suite , she held the party there . Only about 20 people but you could dine out on that experiance. Butler inc free champagne and plasma tv , balcony was half the width of the ship even had a table /chairs bed/lounger plus 6 loungers

thats a experiance

At 11 grand each lottery winners or exec,s only , we can dream

steve

Hi david

are your tickets through a ta or direct with fred?

I guess you booked a superior outside, they are bigger then a balcony.

We have two static,s (caravans) at butlins skegness so you get used to confined spaces.Once cruised you will be like us hooked , translantics are a good way to start you off.

A meet and mingle is you sign up on these boards on your cruise and then they have a party if there is more than 25, they supply soft drinks and raffle prizes and gifts, nuts etc

We went on cunard queen vic in november and one of the americians we were conversing , was upgraded to the top suite , she held the party there . Only about 20 people but you could dine out on that experiance. Butler inc free champagne and plasma tv , balcony was half the width of the ship even had a table /chairs bed/lounger plus 6 loungers

thats a experiance

At 11 grand each lottery winners or exec,s only , we can dream

steve

Steve

As long as we have an agreement to invite each other when we win the lottery, in the mean time I'll let you buy me a beer and promise to listen to the story, lets keep dreaming

As you said if you are used to the confined space of a caravan, we've got a tourer which is even smaller than yours, the size of the cabin won't be a problem

We bought through a TA, no names at this stage, but they do advertise themselves as the number 1 seller of cruises. If the tickets are not in the post tomorrow I am going to start getting upset, there will only be 8 working days before we are due to leave home. The only saving grace at the moment is thanks to you and curly who pointed me to Fred's My Cruise site which at least showed we are booked on the cruise and of course we had the cruise book from Fred. In the present financial climate its very easy to get nervous when you pay for something through a 3rd party and things don't arrive when you expect them. Knowing that you and curly had your tickets last week Sheila phoned when she got in from work on Tuesday and was told they were waiting for some voucher or ???, I wonder when or if they would have told us.

Enough doom & gloom, I'm sure everything will be okay, counting down soon be in single days, its been a long time since I have looked forward to a holiday as much as this.

Like the grand kids say 'are we there yet'

Cheers

David

I think that , if you are travelling back to stanstead by bus , this is the voucher that is missing. Ours came before the tickets about 6 day,s .We were with virgin cruises for this one. Its more worrying from some co,s like costa (dont go there), they send tickets by e-mail.I could not open the e-mail up in my browser and had to get them by way of my t.a (this website victoria travel ) to send them by post.Dont worry they will arrive.

The bus for stanstead leaves at 10am so we are not being kicked off that early thank god.

Hi Steve

Contacted TA this afternoon, assured by rep tickets in post today first class, should receive tomorrow or monday

Not travelling back via Stanstead, son picking us up, only live an hour away from Southampton, possibly be home before you leave.

Havent heard from curly for a few days don't know which way he is travelling

Cheers

David

I believe from memory that they are travelling from manchester. It was going to be my first choice but then i thought, a long journey from southampton back to manchester then back down to scunthorpe, it would be after 7pm before i would get home.

Glad your tickets are on the way, i know the feeling of booking through internet sites .

Envy your expected eta back home , feet up sunday roast on , washing machine working overtime, and us still on a bus.

Will have to start getting the cases out soon. I always leave it late now, hope the d.j has not been attacked by moths, it only comes out for cruises

best regards steve

Hi Steve

Had a bit of a problem with chest slipage, a couple of inches seem to have moved down to the waist. Can't get into the DJ only had it on late last year

The reason for the question earlier about cleaning of the Tux or shall I just bring a suit.

I'll manage with the Tux and a jacket for other occasions

Its one of the advantages of going away in the caravan, we can take as much as we like, these weight restrictions are going to take some getting used to. Probably why a lot of people like the no fly cruises

Cheers

David

I believe from memory that they are travelling from manchester. It was going to be my first choice but then i thought, a long journey from southampton back to manchester then back down to scunthorpe, it would be after 7pm before i would get home.

Glad your tickets are on the way, i know the feeling of booking through internet sites .

Envy your expected eta back home , feet up sunday roast on , washing machine working overtime, and us still on a bus.

Will have to start getting the cases out soon. I always leave it late now, hope the d.j has not been attacked by moths, it only comes out for cruises

best regards steve

Hi Steve,

You're right we are flying from Manchester. Our eta at home is even worse than yours, about 8pm via National Express and we leave at 9.30am. It'll be a long day but I'm trying to think of it as part of the holiday.

Started packing today.:D DH has been trying his tux on. Still fits so far but not sure he'll be able to say the same thing by the end of the cruise.

Getting really excited now. Just need some knock out pills to get me through the flight. At least we don't have to fly back. I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to flying.

My brother's in-laws got back yesterday from 2 weeks on the Boudicca so am going to try and get feed back from them as to how it went.

Not long now!!

Cheers

Sue

Archived