Stamping National Park Passport Book

NeilFan

Fellow cruisers....

We'll be cruisetouring from Fairbanks to Seward and southbound on the Veendam thru College Fjords, Glacier Bay, Haines, Juneau, & Ketchikan.

Just curious as to where we can get our National Park passport book stamped when cruising through Glacier Bay and Kenai Fjords -- we're doing the HAL tour there. I'm sure Denali NP will be no problem since we'll be staying in the area 2 nights and can get to the Visitor Center. Any other National Park opportunities I'm forgetting on this itinerary??

Thanks!

Rene

Neilfan,

Can't speak to Kenai Fjord but when we cruised through Glacier Bay, the National Park Service had a table on the ship with the passport stamp as well as a selection of books. Denali is interesting - you can get three stamps total - one in the Denali Visitor Center at the front of the park, one at the far end of the Tundra Wilderness Tour, a four hour bus trip and one at the Ranger's Station in Talkeetna if your travels take you to that neat little town. In Juneau, you can get a stamp at Mendenhall Glacier visitor center. Hope this helps. Enjoy.

Never would have thought of Mendenhall Glacier -- I'm sure I can google the national parks and see how many there are in Alaska. We'll be limited with our cruisetour but maybe someday can hit all of them....

Have a good day!

Rene

(NeilFan)

Neilfan,

Can't speak to Kenai Fjord but when we cruised through Glacier Bay, the National Park Service had a table on the ship with the passport stamp as well as a selection of books. Denali is interesting - you can get three stamps total - one in the Denali Visitor Center at the front of the park, one at the far end of the Tundra Wilderness Tour, a four hour bus trip and one at the Ranger's Station in Talkeetna if your travels take you to that neat little town. In Juneau, you can get a stamp at Mendenhall Glacier visitor center. Hope this helps. Enjoy.

For clairfication Mendenhall is NOT a National Park. It's Tongass National Forrest.

The Klondike National Park is located on Broadway and Second in Skagway. Kenai National Park has a visitor center at Exit Glacier, in Seward. You're not going there, but there is Sitka Heritage National Park as well.

Ok, NeilFan, I had to pull out my passport books -- I'm not sure if you want ONLY the NP stations (for purists) -- or also local parks,forest, centers, etc. -- this is what I have -- so here goes ....

Skagway:

Klondike Gold Rush National Park

Gateway to the Goldrush of 98' (Skagway Visitors Bureau)

A.B. Hall (Arctic Brotherhood Hall) in Visitors Center

Ketchikan:

Southeast Alaska Discovery Center

Glacier Bay:

as bbgran190 said -- they come on board while cruising thru

Tongass National Forest

Misty Fiords National Monument

Juneau:

Juneau Convention and Visitors Bureau

I love getting the books stamped -- wherever we go -- so (as you can see) I'm not a purist -- enjoy your cruise!

In Ketchikan there are actually two stamps you can collect. One is at the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center which is right in the middle of downtown. It is an awesome muesuem/visitors center with a terrific bookstore (the bookstore is sort of hidden around a corner but is WELL worth the finding!). And the second stamp you can get on the Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer tour by Allen Marine Tours. Allen Marine takes groups of folks out on large catamarans to visit the Misty Fjords National Monument. Once you are in the boundries of the monument the crew will stamp your passport book with a special "Misty Fjords National Monument " stamp.

They sell them at most of the NPS Visitors Centers. You can also order them from the National Parks web-store. Every year the NPS comes out with special stamps that can be purchased at most visitors centers or ordered from the web-store.

I'd never heard of these, either but I'm going to have to buy one now that I know about them!

Speaking of national parks, I understand that seniors get free passes to national parks, and if you are in Denali on a tour, I think you can get credited for the portion of your cost that is admission to the park at the visitors center.

Sprry for the misinformation, the senior passes are not free but are only $10/lifetime and can only be obtained in person at a national park.

From the NSP site:

America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass – Senior Pass. - Cost $10.

America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass – Senior Pass

This is a lifetime pass for U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over. The pass provides access to, and use of, Federal recreation sites that charge an Entrance or Standard Amenity. The pass admits the pass holder and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per vehicle fee areas and pass holder + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, at per person fee areas (children under 16 are admitted free). The pass can only be obtained in person at the park. The Senior Pass provides a 50 percent discount on some Expanded Amenity Fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launch, and specialized interpretive services. In some cases where Expanded Amenity Fees are charged, only the pass holder will be given the 50 percent price reduction. The pass is non-transferable and generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessionaires.

Archived